Chris Sale

Jose Abreu

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 09:35 AM)
Right, but you come to the same deduction for the same reason - playing time. Sale's playing time would account for 74.4% of Felix's playing time. Felix is more deserving of the Cy Young because he's been on the field for a much more significant amount of time.

And been nearly as good. It would be one thing if Sale was sub 2.00 ERA and the next closest guy was 75 points away with not so great periphs, however, King Felix has been pretty damn good too.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want Sale as top 3. Probably as a holdover from the righteous anger of my youth, I was really annoyed at the trade deadline when ESPN continued to say that the top two lefthanders in the AL were acquired by Detroit and Oakland.

Um...no.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 11:39 AM)
And been nearly as good. It would be one thing if Sale was sub 2.00 ERA and the next closest guy was 75 points away with not so great periphs, however, King Felix has been pretty damn good too.

He's been phenomenal. I'm in agreement with the general consensus that Chris Sale is the best pitcher in the AL, but he simply hasn't pitched enough this year to earn it.

There's always next year!

The NL situation, where Kershaw and Wainwright probably finish 1-2 if the season were done today, provides a fine example of that.

Edited by shysocks

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 11:39 AM)
I just want Sale as top 3. Probably as a holdover from the righteous anger of my youth, I was really annoyed at the trade deadline when ESPN continued to say that the top two lefthanders in the AL were acquired by Detroit and Oakland.

Um...no.

Ha I heard that and it bothered me as well. Something really stupid to be bothered by but oh well.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 11:39 AM)

Um...no.

Pitchers better than Sale: Kershaw

That's it.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 11:50 AM)
The NL situation, where Kershaw and Wainwright probably finish 1-2 if the season were done today, provides a fine example of that.

If Sale doesn't deserve the Cy Young, then neither does Kershaw.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 02:02 PM)

I don't see it that way, for reasons already stated. Kershaw's numbers so eclipse the competition that the missed time isn't much of a factor. He'll run away with the award, and Sale won't.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 02:02 PM)
Pitchers better than Sale: Kershaw

That's it.

Kershaw is head and shoulders above the next guy in the NL, will probably win 20 games (which voters still look at) and is still going to end up with over 200 innings.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 02:44 PM)
In 2014, here are the splits for non-pitchers batting against these pitchers.

Kershaw: .197/.232/.294

Sale: .199/.254/.291

Felix: .202/.245/.307

Adjust for home park and you can squint and see a case that Sale is the best of the three.

Right, which is why everyone is ignoring the fact that Kershaw and Sale missed the EXACT same amount of time with an injury. Kershaw is so far ahead of anyone in the NL that no one cares to remember he has pitched less innings than everyone else. Sale isn't that far ahead of Felix to where IP doesn't matter.

This is why I think the only chance Sale has is to go 8 IP+ each of his next starts, giving up 1 ER or less each time, and Felix getting hit around and seeing his ERA jump above 2.40. Then Sale will have a good chance if he does something like....

24 IP, 3 ER over those last 3 starts, giving him 187 IP and a 1.88 ERA.

And Felix comes out with something like....

17 IP, 12 ER over those last 3 starts, giving him 236 IP and a 2.44 ERA

That half a run+ on ERA may make up the difference in his IP, but even then it would probably be a close race.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 02:55 PM)
Pitchers have 45 PAs against Kershaw. They have 3 hits (1 2B), 1 BB, 21 K, and 5 sacrifice bunts. .077/.100/.103

So Kershaw has pitched approximately 15 innings worth of *yawn

How many pitchers has Sale gone up against this year?

Edited by pettie4sox