OFF DAY TALK: 1/3 of the season mark grades

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Dunt @ May 29, 2014 -> 12:26 PM)
:lol:

That should have said, "He's awesome".

Sale has 36 innings. Aces should have 72 after 11 starts. Danks and Quintana get almost just as much credit for being there and making all of their starts. And that's not a rip on Sale, but aces (the guys you rely on to carry the load) make all of their starts.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 29, 2014 -> 10:52 AM)
An A for Flowers but a C for Eaton?

Eaton's slash-line: .267/.329/.342

Pretty MEH.

Plus, I had much higher expectations for Eaton than Flowers.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 29, 2014 -> 12:02 PM)
Opening Day Lineup

Eaton B- (injury prone, but fun to watch)

Semien B- (big moments, not bad for a rookie)

Gillaspie B+ (hitting like Gwynn, decent defense, injured)

Abreu A (MVP numbers, butcher at 1B at times, but can live with that)

Dunn B (good solid season for Donkey-no complaints)

Garcia INC

De Aza D- (started ok, then has been terrible)

Ramirez A (All Star season)

Flowers B (Better than we could have hoped for with the bat. Glove needs to improve)

Viciedo B+ (probably outperforming what Avi would have done. Very solid.)

L Garcia C (he's not expected to do much with the bat. He serves his purpose)

Nieto B (Big surprise. Doing ok with Danks starts)

Konerko D (A couple big hits, but...)

Beckham B+ (where you been the last four years?)

Sierra C (we'll see)

Sale B+ (He awesome, but I can't give an 'ace' an A if he misses half of his starts)

Paulino F

Quintana B- (need more innings per start, but very solid)

Johnson F

Danks B (see Quintana, but great last start)

Carroll C (he's another Axelrod, but provided a great game this season)

Noesi C+ (he's climbing. Games 55-108, I hope he's an A or B)

Rienzo B+ (big surprise. Hope he keeps it up)

Webb B- (good arm, needs to throw more strikes)

Petricka A (bullpen saver, on pace for 90+ innings)

Putnam A (really helped get the pen settled after the terrible start)

Lindstrom B+ (did ok. Hope he's back in August)

Belisario C+ (was terrible, got better)

Not sure how you can give Danks a B, but Quintana a B- with a straight face.

I've said all along that I thought that drafting Nieto was a brilliant move, way out of the box, with a decent chance to pay off with really zero risk. I don't know how big it will pay off, but at worst he's a capable backup, which is >bullpen pitcher (if that) we'd have gotten had we rule-5d the way everyone else does.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ May 29, 2014 -> 01:06 PM)
I've said all along that I thought that drafting Nieto was a brilliant move, way out of the box, with a decent chance to pay off with really zero risk. I don't know how big it will pay off, but at worst he's a capable backup, which is >bullpen pitcher (if that) we'd have gotten had we rule-5d the way everyone else does.

I would like to see him start playing a little more as the season progresses.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 29, 2014 -> 01:00 PM)
Eh, you're right. Both B's

No, how has Danks been better than Quintana...?

Quintana's only had one bad start this year, where he gave up 5 runs in 5 innings against the Rangers.

With the exception of only going 5 innings in Houston (where he only gave up 2 runs), he's had a quality start in every other start. That's 9 quality starts and 10/11 good starts. He's been one of the most consistent pitchers in baseball this year. In fact, he's tied with Buehrle for the 4th most quality starts in the AL with 9 (3 guys ahead of them have 10).

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 29, 2014 -> 08:30 AM)
A: Gillaspie, Ramirez, Putnam, Petricka, Viciedo, Beckham, Abreu, Flowers

B: Dunn, Nieto, Sierra, Belisario, Sale, Caroll, Quintana, Noesi, Rienzo

C: Eaton, Lindstrom, Webb

D: Garcia, Garcia, Semien, Cleto, John Danks

F: De Aza, Konerko, Jordan Danks, Johnson, Paulino, Downs, Francisco, Veal, Jones

That's about everyone except for Leesman and Guerra. Too early.

A 'B' for Sale? Because he was hurt or what? There is no way you can justify him not having an A. His ERA+ is 241 right now, with a FIP of 1.78, not to mention a WHIP of .688, a K/9 of 10.7, and a K/BB of 5.38. If that doesn't garner an 'A' rating, there is no hope.

QUOTE (TitoMB @ May 29, 2014 -> 01:25 PM)
A 'B' for Sale? Because he was hurt or what? There is no way you can justify him not having an A. His ERA+ is 241 right now, with a FIP of 1.78, not to mention a WHIP of .688, a K/9 of 10.7, and a K/BB of 5.38. If that doesn't garner an 'A' rating, there is no hope.

Thats great but he's missed half the year

Is missing one month considered half the year now?

One month is half of the season that has been played so far. That's why I minimized the impact of DL time in my grades. It's not logical to assume that somebody who has missed half of the season to date will miss half of the rest of the season if they have already come off the DL.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 29, 2014 -> 12:56 PM)
That should have said, "He's awesome".

Sale has 36 innings. Aces should have 72 after 11 starts. Danks and Quintana get almost just as much credit for being there and making all of their starts. And that's not a rip on Sale, but aces (the guys you rely on to carry the load) make all of their starts.

Note to self, the following arent aces:

Chris Sale

Justin Verlander

Masahiro Tanaka

Yu Darvish

Anibal Sanchez

Tim Hudson

Stephen Strasburg

Cliff Lee

Michael Wacha

Zach Greinke

Clayton Kershaw

Jose Fernandez

Lol.

Edited by Dunt

I like how board went from panic mode Sale required TJ to even recommending preemptive TJ to suddenly tearing him down for missing a month with a sore arm in a year where 70 pitchers have gone down.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 29, 2014 -> 02:03 PM)
I like how board went from panic mode Sale required TJ to even recommending preemptive TJ to suddenly tearing him down for missing a month with a sore arm in a year where 70 pitchers have gone down.

Link to me tearing him down? Or saying he'd need TJ surgery. Don't lump the board into one giant poster here. No one is even tearing him down, just that for an ace to exceed expectations, they should not miss half their starts.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

A+ Alexei Ramirez

A Chris Sale, Jose Abreu, Conor Gillaspie, Jake Petricka

A- Tyler Flowers

B+ Jose Quintana, Dayan Viciedo, Zach Putnam, Andre Rienzo, Gordon Beckham, Adam Dunn, Adrian Nieto

B Ronald Belisario, Moises Sierra

B- Adam Eaton, Matt Lindstrom, Hector Noesi

C+ Daniel Webb, Marcus Semien

C Leury Garcia

C- John Danks, Scott Carroll

D+Paul Konerko

D-Scott Downs

F Alejandro De Aza

Jose Abreu - A

Gordon Beckham - B+

Conor Gillaspie - A

Alexei Ramirez - A

A. De Aza - D

Adam Eaton - B

Dayan Viciedo - B+

Tyler Flowers - A-

Adam Dunn - B

Chris Sale - A

John Danks - C (but rising)

Jose Qunitana - B

Andre Rienzo - B

Hector Noesi - C+

Leury Garcia - C

Paul Konerko - D

Marcus Semien - B-

Moises Sierra - C+

Grades are on a curve for roster spot, if at all:

A+ Chris Sale -- won't knock him for the injury as he should have never gone that many pitches in April. Is essentially unhittable when healthy with a whip of .689 and a k/bb ratio of 5/1. Every pitch in arsenal is deadly right now: fb, sl, ch.

A+ Alexei Ramirez -- has done everything you'd want, is playing at an elite level

A Conor Gillaspie -- has a wRC+ of 136 and has played solid defense

A- Jose Quintana -- hard luck at times but peripherals and velocity are as good as ever.

A- Jose Abreu -- needs to take his walks and realize he's no good when hurt (stay off the feet more before, after in between games) but power is as advertised, also gave lineup a completely different "feel", which was needed

A- Tyler Flowers -- stays healthy, a major key for a catcher, and has improved his approach at the plate enough to probably become a steady 270/330/400 hitter. Props to him.

A- Ronald Belisario -- has pitched a number of high leverage innings and come through more often than not. Blew a save the other day but it happens. Scary to think were the pen would be without him.

B+ Gordon Beckham -- has hit like he was supposed to when drafted and defense has been good as well. Some really key turns. Still in "show me" mode wrt to long term role on team and can he stay healthy?

B Adam Dunn -- is getting on base and hitting for power but with DH his best position value is limited

B Adrian Nieto -- framing is rough and at times will get the bat knocked out of his hands, but a backup catcher hitting over 300 is pretty damn good SSS be damned

B- Andre Rienzo -- needs to harness his control but is striking out enough batters to where if you squint hard enough you can see a solid MLB #4 starter

C+ Adam Eaton -- has slumped down to an OPS below 700 and cannot stay healthy. When healthy has shown flashes of being a long term above average starter in CF. Solid defense and baserunning.

C+ Dayan Viciedo -- improved his walk rate considerably and is hitting just enough to stay as a regular despite poor defense in the corners

C+ Hector Noesi -- has hung tough and shows flashes of being a legit MLB back end starter, much like Rienzo has grooved a few too many pitches but when on has enough stuff to get hitters out consistently

C - Bullpen, sans Bellisario. They've combined to be alright, not going to do individual grades for guys that have mostly have pitched 20 innings or less. Belly gets an A-, he's been good and has pitched the most in high leverage.

C- Garcia, Semian, Moises -- rest of the bench brigade has been serviceable. Garcia has had his moments as has Semian but overall production is what you'd expect from bench players.

C- Scott Caroll -- much like Dylan Axelrod is a journeyman completely devoid of MLB caliber stuff outside of a decent sinker, and like Axelrod has maximized what he does have. Possible upside as a decent long man but not a starter.

D+ John Danks -- has lost even more velocity on average and has not been able to spot his pitches well enough to succeed. Is on an upward tick but overall has been poor.

D Alejandro De Aza -- looks completely lost at the plate after a hot start. Needs to get back to what made him successful and that is looking up the middle not trying to pull everything. Could easily be given an "F"

D Erik Johnson -- lost velocity and at times has appeared mentally unsure of himself by nibbling. Could possibly be injured but regardless not good enough to warrant a spot on the MLB roster

D- Paul Konerko -- bat speed of a 38 year old is obvious as he fouls fastball after fastball back to the screen. Has an OPS below 500 and quite frankly could easily be given an F. Over his last 160 games he has an fWAR of -2.5. He's toast.

F: Felipe Paulino -- no redeeming qualities, will be DFA shortly most likely.

INC: Avisail Garcia

Coaches:

Ventura: D+ Continues to make a number of head scratching tactical decisions and some very dangerous ones as well -- playing Abreu through pain and letting Sale go over 120 pitches. Team does appear to play hard for him and appears "loose" -- but where was his pixie dust last year?

Stevenson: A+ -- has guys buying into his approach. Has made Flowers and Viciedo into more patient, dangerous hitters. Deserves a lot of credit for that IMO, guys are buying what he's selling and coming from Oakland he had a lot of cache -- he's using it well.

Cooper: B-- As Robin's point man on the pitching staff has let Robin get too matchup happy at times and also had a role in the Paulino decision which has not worked out at all. Has done his usual good work with Noesi and Rienzo.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

The only guy i'd give an F at this point is Paulino - he just isn't a professional-quality pitcher right now.

Overall grades -

Offense - B+/ Surprisingly competent, the offense has kept this team average. Strikeouts still a problem but that seems common to most teams lately

Defense - C / Few glaringly bad spots, the outfield has a lack of range and catching is a mixed bag. Up the middle is strong.

Bullpen - C - / Started godawful, has moved towards average. Still far too many BB and not enough K.

Starting - B- / Sale and Quintata getting it done, the rest is up and down (Noesi, Danks, Rienzo) or just awful (Paulino, Johnson)

Coaching - B / Robin gets a bad rap but he has improved considerably, literally every fan complains about game management. Coop is awesome.

Health - D / Unusually bad health this year, the White Sox have been the victims of plenty of nagging injuries and one season ender. Hoping this regresses to average.

Overall C+ / Team is much stronger than anticipated, a rotation is starting to emerge, when Abreu gets back this could be a fun team (until they deal Beckham and Alexei to free up the logjam jk)

Overall, I'm happy with 27-27 after 54.

Sale missing 6 starts

9 different starting pitchers

Jones out early in the season

Avi out for the year

Eaton, Gillaspie, Beckham, and Abreu all on the DL at some point

All of this should add up to 23-31. That's where Abreu and Alexei playing like All-Stars, and bullpen arms like Putnam and Petricka got this team to .500--and now over.

If this current starting rotation can stay intact the rest of the way, and no more injuries (wishful thinking), I give the Sox a decent shot at 87-75, which could get the 2nd wildcard.

27-27 down. Let's see if they have a couple 30-24's in them.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 29, 2014 -> 08:57 PM)
Overall, I'm happy with 27-27 after 54.

Sale missing 6 starts

9 different starting pitchers

Jones out early in the season

Avi out for the year

Eaton, Gillaspie, Beckham, and Abreu all on the DL at some point

All of this should add up to 23-31. That's where Abreu and Alexei playing like All-Stars, and bullpen arms like Putnam and Petricka got this team to .500--and now over.

If this current starting rotation can stay intact the rest of the way, and no more injuries (wishful thinking), I give the Sox a decent shot at 87-75, which could get the 2nd wildcard.

27-27 down. Let's see if they have a couple 30-24's in them.

We are 28-27