2014 FIFA World Cup

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty happy with how Australia has gone so far even though we are pointless.

New manager, young squad, think we'll be better in Russia 2018, so long as we don't get the Group of Death again.

Fun random stat though, Timmy Cahill has more World Cup Goals than Ronaldo, Messi and Rooney combined.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 02:31 AM)
Pretty happy with how Australia has gone so far even though we are pointless.

New manager, young squad, think we'll be better in Russia 2018, so long as we don't get the Group of Death again.

Fun random stat though, Timmy Cahill has more World Cup Goals than Ronaldo, Messi and Rooney combined.

Rooney better show up against Uruguay or his fate as a World Cup disappointment will be forever sealed.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 07:28 PM)
Rooney better show up against Uruguay or his fate as a World Cup disappointment will be forever sealed.

Wouldn't hold my breath there.

I think with his body physique, he hit his peak at around 26, he's 28 now. I don't think we'll see him in 2018 either.

Entertaining 2nd half with local favorites Colombia and Ivory Coast.

After two goals for Colombia, Gervinho had a really nice run and finished on the left hand side despite being fouled...but they couldn't quite manage to tie it in the final minutes.

It's becoming clearer how difficult it will be for a European team to win in South America. Clearly, Netherlands is the co-favorite right now, but Argentina/Colombia/Chile/Paraguay all are going to be tough to knock out in front of their home fans.

Even Mexico and Costa Rica seem to be energized playing closer to home.

Article on the enigma that is Rooney, and why he's so controversial among England's faithful.

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/marcotti-musing...oney-is-madness

Edited by caulfield12

Baines got beat...he's too much of an attacking player for that position.

Almost starting to feel sorry for Rooney. He had a near-miss on both a free kick and also hit both crossbars (in the corner) on a header off a corner kick. Entertaining game, desperate battle for survival on both sides.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 02:51 PM)
Baines got beat...he's too much of an attacking player for that position.

Almost starting to feel sorry for Rooney. He had a near-miss on both a free kick and also hit both crossbars (in the corner) on a header off a corner kick. Entertaining game, desperate battle for survival on both sides.

He's just not meant to score in the World Cup.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 01:32 PM)
Entertaining 2nd half with local favorites Colombia and Ivory Coast.

After two goals for Colombia, Gervinho had a really nice run and finished on the left hand side despite being fouled...but they couldn't quite manage to tie it in the final minutes.

It's becoming clearer how difficult it will be for a European team to win in South America. Clearly, Netherlands is the co-favorite right now, but Argentina/Colombia/Chile/Paraguay all are going to be tough to knock out in front of their home fans.

Even Mexico and Costa Rica seem to be energized playing closer to home.

Article on the enigma that is Rooney, and why he's so controversial among England's faithful.

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/marcotti-musing...oney-is-madness

Paraguay isn't in the WC, and I honestly don't see Messi in his best form so I see them having trouble once they get done with their easy group.

Colombia and Chile look very strong, and Germany and Netherlands look the strongest from Europe right now.

It's been a fun and interesting WC so far.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 03:26 PM)
He's just not meant to score in the World Cup.

Feel kinda bad for the dude, I mean, he's the main face and leader of this England squad but they haven't had a true cup contending team around him in almost every WC he's been to.

I guess it comes with the role, you're supposed to be the best player on the squad now prove it no matter what. Easier said than done.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 03:33 PM)
Feel kinda bad for the dude, I mean, he's the main face and leader of this England squad but they haven't had a true cup contending team around him in almost every WC he's been to.

I guess it comes with the role, you're supposed to be the best player on the squad now prove it no matter what. Easier said than done.

A lot of the superstars of this generation have been ineffective in the world cup. Messi and Ronaldo average around one goal a game in club play, but they have like 4 WC goals combined between the two of them.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 03:36 PM)
A lot of the superstars of this generation have been ineffective in the world cup. Messi and Ronaldo average around one goal a game in club play, but they have like 4 WC goals combined between the two of them.

Very true, in 2010 Messi was in his top form and had a good companion in the front with Tevez, but they were beat by a better Germany team. Plus i had read somewhere that him and Tevez weren't and aren't very friendly so that doesn't help Argentina's overall cause.

Ronaldo I think suffers to a lesser extent from the same thing Rooney, Superstar of your national team but can't do it alone. Figo left a huge gap in the Portugal squad when he retired that has yet to be filled.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 03:36 PM)

So what do we think the reason for that is?

Suarez obviously not struggling so far.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 02:30 PM)
Paraguay isn't in the WC, and I honestly don't see Messi in his best form so I see them having trouble once they get done with their easy group.

Colombia and Chile look very strong, and Germany and Netherlands look the strongest from Europe right now.

It's been a fun and interesting WC so far.

I meant Uruguay...

Didn't that ball that made it to Suarez bounce off the head of an English defender?

Just bad luck this game. England was the aggressor, by and large, and Rooney alone had 3 quality shots on goal. Game of inches...the missed Rooney attempts, the ball that almost skidded off the head of the English defender before getting to Suarez for the first goal, the ball skipping the wrong direction off the head of the defender to Suarez...and then finally the Suarez shot that barely cleared the right shoulder of the goalie before he could react and get his hands up a bit.

So now it comes down to Italy-Costa Rica...then England/Costa Rica and Uruguay/Italy and possibly GD. Wonder if England will totally throw in the towel for their 3rd game?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 03:55 PM)
So what do we think the reason for that is?

Suarez obviously not struggling so far.

There's always stars from club play that do thrive, but we're talking about two of the best players in this generation in Messi and Ronaldo that haven't exactly fulfilled expectations in World Cup play.

As TheTruth05 said, it probably has to do with their teams. Ronaldo and Messi play on two of the most stacked club teams in the world. Their club teams are definitely better than their national teams.

Plus, when you're as big as Ronaldo and Messi and you're going to be the target for both your opposition and your home country. Ronaldo is in a less enviable position than Messi since Argentina has better talent surrounding Messi. So whatever goes wrong probably goes on your shoulders, especially if you don't play well. It's a bigger stage and there's a lot more pressure to perform.

I really wish baseball could have something similar to the World Cup. The World Baseball Classic is a joke. It's clear that the guys who participate care more about their ML career than their home country. I feel like it's almost the exact opposite in the World Cup.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 04:04 PM)
As TheTruth05 said, it probably has to do with their teams. Ronaldo and Messi play on two of the most stacked club teams in the world. Their club teams are definitely better than their national teams.

Ya that would basically be my guess.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 03:59 PM)
I meant Uruguay...

Didn't that ball that made it to Suarez bounce off the head of an English defender?

Just bad luck this game. England was the aggressor, by and large, and Rooney alone had 3 quality shots on goal. Game of inches...the missed Rooney attempts, the ball that almost skidded off the head of the English defender before getting to Suarez for the first goal, the ball skipping the wrong direction off the head of the defender to Suarez...and then finally the Suarez shot that barely cleared the right shoulder of the goalie before he could react and get his hands up a bit.

So now it comes down to Italy-Costa Rica...then England/Costa Rica and Uruguay/Italy and possibly GD. Wonder if England will totally throw in the towel for their 3rd game?

I think England's effort level will depend on the result of Italy-Costa Rica today. A draw or a Costa Rica win in that game and England is eliminated and likely throws in the towel in game 3. If Italy wins England still has a small chance of advancing.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 04:11 PM)
I think England's effort level will depend on the result of Italy-Costa Rica today. A draw or a Costa Rica win in that game and England is eliminated and likely throws in the towel in game 3. If Italy wins England still has a small chance of advancing.

Costa Rica is so difficult to gauge because i feel like Suarez not playing last game really helped them not only on the pitch but mentally. This game against Italy is huge for both squads but I think it will show who Costa Rica truly is.