2014 FIFA World Cup

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 04:57 PM)
5 goals in 29 minutes.

8 would have tied a record for margin of victory i think...of course, Brazil was just passed by Germany for all-time WC goals as well, to add insult to injury

9 was the most ever scored, happened just once or twice in history

that Colombian better hide...although Brazilians who believe Neymar could have made up 7 goals himself are kidding themselves

What Colombian?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 04:58 PM)
How are they going to do that when they lose to the Netherlands?

Mexico was minutes from beating them. It took them PKs to get past Costa Rica. Argentina is better than Mexico and Costa Rica.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

Van Persie is out though, right?

Robben's been their been best attacking player this tourney, certainly more consistent, the iconic RVP header to tie the score against the Spanish notwithstanding.

This one could go either way. You kind of have a feeling that first goal wins it.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 04:04 PM)
Van Persie is out though, right?

Robben's been their been best attacking player this tourney, certainly more consistent, the iconic RVP header to tie the score against the Spanish notwithstanding.

This one could go either way. You kind of have a feeling that first goal wins it.

I didn't realize the play on the goalie knocked him out. RVP whiffed on a couple goals in the CR game but would be a big loss.

Germany-Brazil today was like... what...

Spurs vs. Heat, 2014

Bulls vs. Jazz, 1998 NBA Finals, Game 3

Monstars vs. Tune Squad

Wehrmacht vs. Poland/France

Luftwaffe vs. London

Panzers vs. Shermans

Hiroshima vs. Little Boy

Nagasaki vs. Fat Man

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 10:39 PM)
Germany-Brazil today was like... what...

Spurs vs. Heat, 2014

Bulls vs. Jazz, 1998 NBA Finals, Game 3

Monstars vs. Tune Squad

Wehrmacht vs. Poland/France

Luftwaffe vs. London

Panzers vs. Shermans

Hiroshima vs. Little Boy

Nagasaki vs. Fat Man

All of the above combined. Given how important soccer is to Brazil, that may have been the most devastating loss in the history of sports.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 06:40 PM)
I love it when you use logic.

Netherlands has played some of the best football in the tournament, however, they have failed miserably to execute. I expect a close game but I think the Netherlands finally convert some of their opportunities and win. I've long thought this was going to be the better of the semi final games. Germany is just a machine and Brazil had played so Meh the entire tourney.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 09:51 AM)
They played pretty well against Germany. Certainly better than Brazil.

...in a loss. Which was somehow celebrated.

They won 1 of 4 games, and got absolutely dominated in their last game. If not for goaltending, that would have been a 7 spot as well.

The whole "they tried hard!" mentality needs to go before US soccer can be a thing.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 02:56 PM)

They won 1 of 4 games, and got absolutely dominated in their last game. If not for goaltending, that would have been a 7 spot as well.

The whole "they tried hard!" mentality needs to go before US soccer can be a thing.

They survived their group, which if it was so easy then Portugal, a legitimate soccer power would have.

In a cup where England, Portugal, and Spain, all clearly better soccer programs than the US could not get out while 3 Concacaf teams which the US topped DID, that is fine for people to be excited about, especially since the highlights were younger players.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 07:56 AM)

I don't quite understand the difficulty of the stage they met it out of. All 4 teams could have easily played and advanced out of group play and succeeded in the knock-out round. They also overcame a significant injury to their top goal scorer. We saw what happened when Brazil lost their top player (and no, I'm not comparing Neymar and Altidore, however, both players are their respective teams top goal scorers).

That said, the Germany game was in horrific field conditions and it really didn't matter to Germany. We probably get routed by Germany if it was a knock-out round game (well by routed I mean lose by 2-3 goals...not 6 goals).

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 09:56 AM)

Are you really playing the "only successful end to a season is a championship" card with US Soccer in the World Cup? I get what you are trying to say, but you have to look at it realistically. I'd guess 75% of Belgium's roster played in the Champions League this year. How many Americans did? None. You want to keep improving your results, but getting to the round of 16 out of that group with this roster and some young players really contributing is a success.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 10:31 AM)
Are you really playing the "only successful end to a season is a championship" card with US Soccer in the World Cup? I get what you are trying to say, but you have to look at it realistically. I'd guess 75% of Belgium's roster played in the Champions League this year. How many Americans did? None. You want to keep improving your results, but getting to the round of 16 out of that group with this roster and some young players really contributing is a success.

I didn't say championship or bust, I'm only pointing out facts. The whole "oh this makes our result look better!" thing is really weak, just begging for approval. Or, are we trying to say US is better than Brazil? The US team will have made it when that performance against Belgium is deemed unacceptable (or the late choke to tie). It will change the narrative. That needs to be what the team and fans push for.

The US did well. Internationally they received a pretty good amount of respect with their showing. The US really does not have the technical skill to compete against the best teams on a daily basis. That being said, you never know what will happen. Goaltending is part of the sport, it is the one position where the US has historically been good. So the fact the US relied on good goalkeeping is part of the game. Just like if a baseball team wins because of a good pitcher etc.

US soccer will be a thing, not everyone is a bandwagon/frontrunner. You root for your team, but some of us are realistic and dont drink the kool aid. There is no shame in the US performance, and its not about "trying hard". They made it through the group stage in a group with 3 other respected teams. There were many teams that were far more established, who were unable to do that. Making it through your group every World Cup is the start, at that point anything can happen.

(edit)

How is the loss to Belgium "unacceptable'? They went to extra time and lost to a team that was considered around top 5 in the world.

Edited by Soxbadger

Ok, then I dont want to see you jacked up about Illinois football improving incrementally.