2014 FIFA World Cup

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 01:08 PM)
A lot of people that were homers. You have to look at the international view point, imo, or the betting view points, which tend to be much better indicators.

My comment was actually directly based on the betting pov. I think Portugal was maybe a few percentage points more likely to get out of the group but it really wasn't that much.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 11:10 AM)
My comment was actually directly based on the betting pov. I think Portugal was maybe a few percentage points more likely to get out of the group but it really wasn't that much.

I think that skews Ghana downward, as US / Portugal have a much stronger following internationally (and more international respect) but agree. The reason this group was one of the toughest was the depth and strength of all three of this teams. These teams could have made it out of almost any other bracket, but aren't moving forward. There were some brackets where the 3rd and 4th teams were both hot garbage, imo. CONCA has done very well, which is something we should all be proud of as it adds more respect / credibility to our region / contingent. Now lets move forward!!

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 12:55 PM)
So I know nothing about soccer, but on a scale of 1-10, how surprising is it that the US advanced? 1 being not at all, 10 being shocked beyond belief. A 6? 7?

I think the US crowd underrates Team USA, the elite teams like the Netherlands, Germany or Argentina don't roll over Team USA anymore. Are those teams a tier above? Yes but the gap is getting smaller.

1) What the hell was that Bradley? Way too many loose passes all over the field, which caused me to cringe every time the ball came to you...waiting for a breakout the other direction.

2) More Yedlin please.

3) Germany was clearly the better team...dominated every statistical category and we're fortunate Loew stepped on the brakes after Mueller scored or we easily could have been knocked out by that +2 goal differential with Ghana. An assist goes to Boateng/Appiah or Muntari/GFA for messing up their team chemistry completely the last couple of days.

4) Happy for Klinsmann being validated a bit (despite the last second Portugal goal)...it would have been amazing to get to face Russia/Algeria and then France (probably) to get to the Final 4, and done wonders for soccer in America, but we'll just have to do our best to knock off Belgium and Edens Hazard (one of the coolest tourney names). Obviously, we won't be favored against Belgium, so that might work to our advantage to continue to play the underdog role that fits this team's mindset so well...compared to being expected by lots of Americans to beat Russia/Algeria. Well, that's the positive spin.

5) Seems like the US didn't have a legit shot at goal until the two chances in the last 2-3 minutes. That offensive effort was garbage. Seems like they just had a really hard time controlling the ball and making simple passes....granted, the weather was a factor, but it didn't seem to affect Germany as much as the US.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 01:22 PM)
1) What the hell was that Bradley? Way too many loose passes all over the field, but I cringed every time the ball came to you.

2) More Yedlin please.

3) Germany was clearly the better team...dominated every statistical category and we're fortunate Loew stepped on the brakes after Mueller scored or we easily could have been knocked out by that +2 goal differential with Ghana. An assist goes to Boateng/Appiah or Muntari/GFA for messing up their team chemistry completely the last couple of days.

4) Happy for Klinsmann being validated a bit (despite the last second Portugal goal)...it would have been amazing to get to face Russia/Algeria and then France (probably) to get to the Final 4, and done wonders for soccer in America, but we'll just have to do our best to knock off Belgium and Edens Hazard (one of the coolest tourney names). Obviously, we don't be favored against Belgium, so that might work to our advantage to continue to play the underdog role that fits this team's mindset so well...compared to being expected by lots of Americans to beat Russia/Algeria. Well, that's the positive spin.

5) Seems like the US didn't have a legit shot at goal until the two chances in the last 2-3 minutes. That offensive effort was garbage. Seems like they just had a really hard time controlling the ball and making simple passes....granted, the weather was a factor, but it didn't seem to affect Germany as much as the US.

Germany was a better team plain and simple. Conditions were bad and every player, including some on the German side, didn't look top notch.

USA still would have advance even by losing 2 or 3 nothing because Ghana lost and Portugal needed more than 2 goals

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 01:27 PM)
BTW, the US will beat Belgium or Korea in the next round.

The USA can only play Belgium or Algeria. And it is really unlikely that the US will play Alegeria because that would require South Korea to beat Belgium and Alegeria to beat Russia.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 01:28 PM)
Korea yes. Belgium is really a toss up, it will be a tight game. IMO

As a fan of El Tri, I'd take playing Belgium over the Netherlands a million times over. The US will beat them, stop underrating them :cheers

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 01:33 PM)
As a fan of El Tri, I'd take playing Belgium over the Netherlands a million times over. The US will beat them, stop underrating them :cheers

Lol I'm a Tri fan as well :cheers , let's pull the upset Sunday.

But USA is great, and I honestly do think they would get past Belgium I just don't think it will be easy at all, that screams extra time to me.

These last 2 group games are a snore fest, only possible story was Algeria challenging Belgium for the #1 spot in the group but they're losing 1-0 to Russia in the 2nd Half.

These Saturday games are gonna be great,can't wait.

Edited by TheTruth05