2014 FIFA World Cup

So I know nothing about soccer, but on a scale of 1-10, how surprising is it that the US advanced? 1 being not at all, 10 being shocked beyond belief. A 6? 7?

To the public in general? An 8-9. To me, a 3-4. Win, draw, lose was exactly the outcome I expected, though I expected the team to look better against Ghana and not look as good against Portugal.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Algeria ties it. Keep going.

Korea's got a one man advantage, they have to score at least once right?

If they're going to keep inviting Asia to the World Cup, they are going to need to give them a one man advantage for all 90 minutes every game. Maybe then they will do better than 0-9-3.

That's what makes it even more remarkable that 3 CONCACAF teams advanced, since none of them got free points by being in a group with an Asian team. You can say that Mexico had a somewhat easy draw with Cameroon and Croatia, but they got a point off the hosts so they clearly earned their way through, and the US and Costa Rica survived absolutely loaded groups.

Belgium has the talent to win the whole damn thing so Tuesday will be tough.

Nate Silver's SPI not all that high on Belgium. SPI has all 8 group winners as favorites to win in the second round, but Belgium is one of the two most vulnerable.

Germany 80% vs Algeria

Brazil 78% vs Chile

Argentina 75% vs Switzerland

France 72% vs Nigeria (this one sounds low to me)

Netherlands 69% vs Mexico

Colombia 63% vs Uruguay

Belgium 57% vs USA

Costa Rica 56% vs Greece

Brazil-Argentina remains the most likely final.

It remains very unlikely to happen, but a US-Mexico semifinal would be epic. Univision's ratings would be through the roof.

I'd play Greece or Nigeria any day of the week at this point, or any point really, in the tournament

Yeah, Ghana finished dead last in Group G managing only one point in three games and I'd favor them over at least three teams that advanced (Algeria, Nigeria, Greece) and possibly a fourth (Costa Rica).

Just another example of why the WC draw process needs a major overhaul.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 27, 2014 -> 08:22 AM)
I thought he was back in, I could be wrong.

Tough to tell with a hamstring... really, really hope he can go. Even if it's just 50-60 minutes, he adds so much to the US attack - notably: (1) hold up play; (2) drawing fouls in dangerous spots; and (3) letting Bradley play in a less advanced position.

Of the group winners, outside of Costa Rica and maybe France, Belgium is the best matchup for the Americans. Getting out of the group makes this a successful World Cup (and should be the expectation going forward), but reaching the quarterfinals is within reason.

First day at a new job is July 1... don't think I'll be able to take time off to watch live (2 pm start out here), so I'm going to need to completely avoid all technology to not have the result spoiled before I get home from work...

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 27, 2014 -> 06:53 AM)
If they're going to keep inviting Asia to the World Cup, they are going to need to give them a one man advantage for all 90 minutes every game. Maybe then they will do better than 0-9-3.

That's what makes it even more remarkable that 3 CONCACAF teams advanced, since none of them got free points by being in a group with an Asian team. You can say that Mexico had a somewhat easy draw with Cameroon and Croatia, but they got a point off the hosts so they clearly earned their way through, and the US and Costa Rica survived absolutely loaded groups.

Korea and Japan had success in past world cups. Both qualified for the knockout round in 2010 and 2002. They were just awful this time around.

Korea and Japan had success in past world cups. Both qualified for the knockout round in 2010 and 2002. They were just awful this time around.

They were hosts in 2002 and every host gets to the knockout round. So yeah, there's been basically one WC ever where Asian teams have done much of anything.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 27, 2014 -> 10:56 AM)
They were hosts in 2002 and every host gets to the knockout round. So yeah, there's been basically one WC ever where Asian teams have done much of anything.

Except South Africa.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 27, 2014 -> 11:46 AM)
But the US made the knockout round as hosts.

Only South Africa hasnt.

Yeah I realized that and edited it. I was thinking of 98.

Edited by chw42

You can probably cross Russia (unless they fix the draw in their favor) and Qatar off that future list (if the WC's even held there at this point, with the bribery scandal) of host teams getting to the knockout round.

Qatar could probably beat Maldives, Afghanistan or Yemen? Maybe Eritrea...

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 27, 2014 -> 05:57 PM)
You can probably cross Russia (unless they fix the draw in their favor) and Qatar off that future list (if the WC's even held there at this point, with the bribery scandal) of host teams getting to the knockout round.

Qatar has improved quite a bit recently, but they're still probably only on the level of a country like El Salvador, Canada, Azerbaijan or New Zealand. So not good, but they aren't a joke anymore.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 27, 2014 -> 04:57 PM)

Not sure what you're saying, but as a host I would expect Russia to advance. You have to remember that as host they get seeded so they won't face any of the other top teams unless the rankings go out of whack (very real possibility).

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 28, 2014 -> 09:35 AM)
I get it.

I think Chile gets Brazil today.

I think and hope so as well, if these teams play the way they played in their groups then I think Chile can pull this one out.