2014 FIFA World Cup

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 05:42 PM)
In retrospect Green maybe should have subbed earlier instead of Wondo. He is young and raw but he may be the most technical player on the ball the US have. At that point I think the US was still playing for pks if necessary.

I dont think the green sub was anymore than mop up and experience. If we aren't down 2 0 I dont think he ever comes in. Jones should have been subbed out. He couldn't move from the 75th minute on.Did have some nice touches when it came to him.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really, REALLY get annoyed at people on social media who want to make it known that they're thrilled the Americans lost(when they're American) just because they're not soccer fans. I want to punch all those people in the face.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 09:20 PM)
I was gonna talk smack to the posters here who were whooping it up after Mexico got eliminated but decided to take the high road. Decided it was enough just knowing you guys got thoroughly outclassed. :cheers

Hey, cool man.

Best comment I saw on Twitter was that the US lost because we brought in Wondo and Belgium was able to bring in Lukaku. The US bust their ass, put up a valiant effort, but they just don't have the talent the top countries do at this point. They haven't reached 2002 success again, but back to back Round of 16s is no small feat. They keep improving IMO and there seems to be some young talent in the pipeline, especially with all the American kids playing in Germany. Plus, it's like the 5th most popular sport in the country and look how well we do.

The future is looking up for US soccer. :usa

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 09:52 PM)
Best comment I saw on Twitter was that the US lost because we brought in Wondo and Belgium was able to bring in Lukaku. The US bust their ass, put up a valiant effort, but they just don't have the talent the top countries do at this point. They haven't reached 2002 success again, but back to back Round of 16s is no small feat. They keep improving IMO and there seems to be some young talent in the pipeline, especially with all the American kids playing in Germany. Plus, it's like the 5th most popular sport in the country and look how well we do.

The future is looking up for US soccer. :usa

And you can make arguments for extreme sports, mixed martial arts, NASCAR, golf and tennis. Maybe in terms of overall participation, soccer is higher at the elementary and middle school level, over volleyball and softball, for example (girls).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 11:03 PM)
And you can make arguments for extreme sports, mixed martial arts, NASCAR, golf and tennis. Maybe in terms of overall participation, soccer is higher at the elementary and middle school level, over volleyball and softball, for example (girls).

Overall participation may be 3rd or 4th nation wide and MLS attendance is better than many NBA and NHL teams, but TV ratings paint a different picture.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 06:04 PM)
I really, REALLY get annoyed at people on social media who want to make it known that they're thrilled the Americans lost(when they're American) just because they're not soccer fans. I want to punch all those people in the face.

Yeah, the game is now accessible enough that I don't feel the need to defend the game or get mad at people who hate on it. I can watch as many games as I want and the coverage of the game in this country is actually quite good if you know where to look so why should I care if some random guy doesn't like the sport?

That said, one of my best friends hated on social media so I had to unfollow him. Why go out of your way to hate on something that so many people are clearly enjoying? Let them enjoy it.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 11:46 PM)
Overall participation may be 3rd or 4th nation wide and MLS attendance is better than many NBA and NHL teams, but TV ratings paint a different picture.

The Premier League ratings did quite well considering the times they are on here and the US games do very well. MLS doesn't get ratings of any significance, but the league isn't as good so that should be expected to some extent.

Chicago is in the middle of a hockey bandwagon because the team is in its most successful stint, but I don't think hockey does too well in many US markets. It's also tough to say on this board, but baseball participation is struggling a bit at the youth levels and has been for some time. I don't think soccer is the thing taking away from baseball, but the sport is definitely struggling. I'm just saying that saying soccer is the 5th sport in this country is certainly being challenged and will probably shift.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 10:20 PM)
I was gonna talk smack to the posters here who were whooping it up after Mexico got eliminated but decided to take the high road. Decided it was enough just knowing you guys got thoroughly outclassed. :cheers

What a guy, folks!

That was very disappointing but Belgium clearly deserved to win. I don't understand the shell the US played in the entire 2nd half. The tactics employed by Klinsmann again leave a lot of questions and head scratching. First of all, he plays a 4-3-3 and puts Zusi and Bedoya on the forward wing? Huh? They aren't forwards and it showed. Both were completely terrible. Losing Fabian Johnson was awful, as he'd been one of ou rbetter players all tournament but Yedlin man, that kid was great. Really bright future for him and I'm sure Euro clubs start calling about him now. That miss from Wondo is going to be so hard to forget. We did not deserve to be in that position, but we were, and a decent touch from Wondo would have put us through. I hate constantly bringing it up, but we would have been a completely different team, for the better, if there was a certain someone not sitting at home.

Anyways, 2018 definitely looks bright. Julian Green, Yedlin, Fabian Johnson, Johannson, Mix, Jozy, Bradley, Besler, Howard/Guzan, Agudelo, Gil, Gyau, Flores, Gatt, Cameron, Zelalem?, Jack Mack, Agudelo, JAB, Okugo, Joya, Arriola, Packwood, Pfeffer, Canouse and more represent young talent that'll comprise probably our deepest and most talented pool ever. I'm really looking forward to next year's U20 WC and the Olympics and Copa America in 2016. We have a lot of burgeoning talent to look forward to

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 06:36 AM)
That was very disappointing but Belgium clearly deserved to win. I don't understand the shell the US played in the entire 2nd half. The tactics employed by Klinsmann again leave a lot of questions and head scratching. First of all, he plays a 4-3-3 and puts Zusi and Bedoya on the forward wing? Huh? They aren't forwards and it showed. Both were completely terrible. Losing Fabian Johnson was awful, as he'd been one of ou rbetter players all tournament but Yedlin man, that kid was great. Really bright future for him and I'm sure Euro clubs start calling about him now. That miss from Wondo is going to be so hard to forget. We did not deserve to be in that position, but we were, and a decent touch from Wondo would have put us through. I hate constantly bringing it up, but we would have been a completely different team, for the better, if there was a certain someone not sitting at home.

Anyways, 2018 definitely looks bright. Julian Green, Yedlin, Fabian Johnson, Johannson, Mix, Jozy, Bradley, Besler, Howard/Guzan, Agudelo, Gil, Gyau, Flores, Gatt, Cameron, Zelalem?, Jack Mack, Agudelo, JAB, Okugo, Joya, Arriola, Packwood, Pfeffer, Canouse and more represent young talent that'll comprise probably our deepest and most talented pool ever. I'm really looking forward to next year's U20 WC and the Olympics and Copa America in 2016. We have a lot of burgeoning talent to look forward to

Agreed all around. Especially on '18. Going into this cycle, there were question marks about every single spot on the backline. Now you have 7 young defenders who Klinnsman should feel confident in (Cameron, Gonzalez, Besler, Brooks, Johnson, Yedlin, Chandler) without even taking into account young talent. Plenty of attacking talent is back with a lot more being developed (hopefully - this is a critical four years for Mix and Luis Gil). The next four years should be fun.

The level of improvement in US soccer since returning to the international stage in 1990 is nothing short of incredible. We are at a point where the US should expect to beat most second tier Euro sides and, well, basically everyone else (Mexico, Costa Rica, and the top African side in a given cycle potentially excluded). MLS has so much to do with that.

I think they key to the US taking the next step is to build some military bases in Brazil and Spain. Let the soldiers frolic amongst the locals, and 20 years from now we should have great "American" soccer players for the 2034 & 2038 World Cups. It has worked so well in Germany with Green, Brooks, Jones & Co.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 09:28 AM)
It does suck that 3 of the top 5 players in American history are probably done for by the next World Cup.

There's a chance Howard sticks around. He has said he's retiring from club soccer after his contract at Everton runs out in 2018 but no mention of international duty. There have been goalies who have kept it up well into their 30's before, but Guzan has been getting better and better every year it seems. If he's willing to fill the role, I could see him being a backup in 2018.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 09:45 AM)
I think they key to the US taking the next step is to build some military bases in Brazil and Spain. Let the soldiers frolic amongst the locals, and 20 years from now we should have great "American" soccer players for the 2034 & 2038 World Cups. It has worked so well in Germany with Green, Brooks, Jones & Co.

I know this was a joke, but keep an eye out for a Brazilian-American kid named Robert Kennedy Nunes. He goes by Kennedy. He is 17 or 18 and plays for Fluminense and has been capped at the Brazilian youth level. However, he has stated that he would be willing to play for the US in the future. Another Brazilian-American, Luis Felipe is an 18-year old playing for Cruzeiro who actually represented our U-20 team in a minor tournament earlier this year. The US also has a 15 year old in his 3rd or 4th year at La Masia so he's been learning the Barca system in the number 10 role and from reports is doing well

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 07:20 PM)

I hate the way the Mexico team plays and the way their fans treat opposing teams. Complete and utter lack of class and that is why I will always root massively against them.

Watching the Belgium game, they played with total class. I tip my cap to them and the best team won and I have zero problem if the Belgians win the whole cup.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 08:36 AM)
It's a day later,

still really bummed.

It stinks but we lost to the superior team. Can't get too mad about that. Did we have some opportunities to pull off a fluke win, sure, but did we have any business winning that game (given how it was played)...nope.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 09:42 AM)
I hate the way the Mexico team plays and the way their fans treat opposing teams. Complete and utter lack of class and that is why I will always root massively against them.

Watching the Belgium game, they played with total class. I tip my cap to them and the best team won and I have zero problem if the Belgians win the whole cup.

I'm not excusing the way some fans of El Tri act but you make it sound like they kidnap or physically abuse the opposing team's players or fans. Fans in South Ameica and Europe have been known to kill and physically attack each other, that very rarely happens in Mexico compared to other futbol crazed countries. Mexican fans are hardly the worst. I can tell you by experience. My wife is from Argentina, I've gotten together with her family, her brothers and uncles and their friends. Now those folks are rowdy, and they yell all kinds of obscenties to the opposing teams and nations. Let me tell you, if you guys had to play Argentina as many times as you play Mexico, you'd hate their guts too. Mexican fans ain't got nothing on those guys.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 10:36 AM)
It's a day later,

still really bummed.

I know it must sting but you guys had no business winning that match, being brutally honest. I was actually shocked how badly Team USA played, Howard literally saved the game from it being a blowout.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 10:36 AM)
It's a day later,

still really bummed.

Big time. I know that we didn't have any business winning that game and Belgium is just flat out better but that doesn't make it hurt any less.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 03:53 PM)
I know it must sting but you guys had no business winning that match, being brutally honest. I was actually shocked how badly Team USA played, Howard literally saved the game from it being a blowout.

Listen, nobody cares go away.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 04:13 PM)
Big time. I know that we didn't have any business winning that game and Belgium is just flat out better but that doesn't make it hurt any less.

It feels like watching the Red Wedding on game of thrones but knowing you have four years to see the next season.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 11:47 AM)
I'm not excusing the way some fans of El Tri act but you make it sound like they kidnap or physically abuse the opposing team's players or fans. Fans in South Ameica and Europe have been known to kill and physically attack each other, that very rarely happens in Mexico compared to other futbol crazed countries. Mexican fans are hardly the worst. I can tell you by experience. My wife is from Argentina, I've gotten together with her family, her brothers and uncles and their friends. Now those folks are rowdy, and they yell all kinds of obscenties to the opposing teams and nations. Let me tell you, if you guys had to play Argentina as many times as you play Mexico, you'd hate their guts too. Mexican fans ain't got nothing on those guys.

Apparently you've never read anything about what goes on at the Azteca