2014 FIFA World Cup

And that only happens in Azteca and nowhere else? You've never heard of violence in other soccer nations? Is this real life? Does the word 'hooligan' mean something to you?

I guess it's cool if some Scottish thugs beat an Irish bloke's skull in because, well, he wasn't an American fan of USMNT...

My point is, there are worse fanbases around the world but I never hear you guys b**** about them. Dat hypocrisy. I'm not trying to be a dick, it's just a pet peeve of mine and a reason I don't like discussing soccer year round in this thread. Too much of an anti-Mexican vibe here TBH.

Anyways, both our teams are out, let's enjoy the rest of the WC.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 11:51 AM)
And that only happens in Azteca and nowhere else? You've never heard of violence in other soccer nations? Is this real life? Does the word 'hooligan' mean something to you?

I guess it's cool if some Scottish thugs beat an Irish bloke's skull in because, well, he wasn't an American fan of USMNT...

My point is, there are worse fanbases around the world but I never hear you guys b**** about them. Dat hypocrisy. I'm not trying to be a dick, it's just a pet peeve of mine and a reason I don't like discussing soccer year round in this thread. Too much of an anti-Mexican vibe here TBH.

I think the fans of the National team are amongst the worse in the world and that is based upon their treatment of our players and their treatment of other teams. Clearly there are insane fans everywhere, however, no team has regularly treated our team poorer then when we visit Mexico. I can't comment on how the US team is treated in Argentina because that is a rarity. They are also our primary rivals in the region which is another reason for my complete and utter dislike of Mexico's squad.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 02:51 PM)

Oh, DAT logic. "Yeah, well others are worse so why bring up ours!"

The US and Mexico are arch rivals in soccer. The Mexicans have a pretty fierce rivalry with Costa Rica as well, but this is Red Sox/ Yankees, Cubs/ Sox, Duke/UNC etc of soccer for the US. How could there not be anti-opposition sentiment? I doubt Joe Mexican living in roots for the US. I bet more often than not he actively roots against them too.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 02:53 PM)
Any chance MLS will convert to play fall/spring rounds like most European leagues?

Pretty much no.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 01:58 PM)
Oh, DAT logic. "Yeah, well others are worse so why bring up ours!"

The US and Mexico are arch rivals in soccer. The Mexicans have a pretty fierce rivalry with Costa Rica as well, but this is Red Sox/ Yankees, Cubs/ Sox, Duke/UNC etc of soccer for the US. How could there not be anti-opposition sentiment? I doubt Joe Mexican living in roots for the US. I bet more often than not he actively roots against them too.

Pretty much no.

They do love Zusi though, if that counts for anything, lol

zusi_181013.jpg

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 12:44 PM)
Richard Deitsch ‏@richarddeitsch 4m

ESPN said its U.S-Belgium telecast drew 16,491,000 viewers. Add Univision's figures and the official TV total is 21.6M.

Insane ratings given the timing of some of these games. Only game on at a good time was the Portugal - US game. Could you imagine if this game was on a Sat or Sun vs. during a workday?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 02:53 PM)
Insane ratings given the timing of some of these games. Only game on at a good time was the Portugal - US game. Could you imagine if this game was on a Sat or Sun vs. during a workday?

A lot of money was lost yesterday. Had the US advanced they would have played on Saturday.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 04:40 PM)
Ya, work production was probably at March Madness levels yesterday.

Yeah yesterday I was streaming at work. The office above mine was having some sort of viewing party, there was a slight delay on the internet so you could hear them cheering through the walls whenever something happened before it was on my computer, lol.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 09:20 PM)
I was gonna talk smack to the posters here who were whooping it up after Mexico got eliminated but decided to take the high road. Decided it was enough just knowing you guys got thoroughly outclassed. :cheers

Yeah right, it just took you that long to get your dial up working.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 07:33 PM)
Havent watched the fire exclusively (im about to watch a game lol) but MLS is generally a pretty big step down technically. Games can be still fun to watch.

The Toyota park experience is pretty cool.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 07:33 PM)
Havent watched the fire exclusively (im about to watch a game lol) but MLS is generally a pretty big step down technically. Games can be still fun to watch.

It's hard for me to watch on tv, it's just such a huge step down from this. That being said, I have heard that seeing a game in person is a lot of fun.

MLS can be entertaining.

I'm excited about Orlando City joining MLS next season. They just signed Kaka yesterday. And with the new soccer specific stadium being built for the start of 2016, this is really the perfect time for me to really get into MLS.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 09:51 PM)
MLS can be entertaining.

I'm excited about Orlando City joining MLS next season. They just signed Kaka yesterday. And with the new soccer specific stadium being built for the start of 2016, this is really the perfect time for me to really get into MLS.

Kaka is still playing?

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 01:53 PM)
Any chance MLS will convert to play fall/spring rounds like most European leagues?

Any chance you'd want to go to a game in Chicago in November or February? (And that's assuming a December-January break)

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 07:00 PM)
After watching this it kind of makes me want to get into MLS.. Chicago Fire any good?

No, but going in person is fun. The Fire don't have the atmosphere of Seattle, Portland or KC (I've been to KC, it was unreal), but they typically will get good crowds when the weather is nice and it's fun.