2014 FIFA World Cup

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 07:14 PM)
WC Final = Current Pope vs Retired Pope

atleast we wont have to worry about some stupid wager like the ones mayors do during the championship series...

...or will we?

Third time against each other in the Final, Argentina won in 86, Germany in 90.

My head tells me Germany, my heart wants Argentina.

Argentina 2 Germany 1 in extra time.

I was in Germany for the 90 WC Final. Never seen mayhem like that before.

That sounds amazing and terrifying all at once.

It wasn't really that scary. I was in a smaller city and not on a main street. Just a bunch of drunk shirtless men (and a few women) with black/red/yellow face/body paint shouting a bunch of stuff that I probably wouldn't have understood even if I spoke German.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 09:10 PM)

I was too. Outside of Stuttgart. I was young but I remember car horns/sirens going off, what sounded like fireworks, lots of noise in general. Between that and the wall coming down we were certainly there for an interesting stretch of time.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 08:10 PM)

My cousin was in Spain in 2010. He took some videos on the subway after the game, just everybody dancing, singing, & drinking, seemed like one big party.

I was too. Outside of Stuttgart. I was young but I remember car horns/sirens going off, what sounded like fireworks, lots of noise in general. Between that and the wall coming down we were certainly there for an interesting stretch of time.

I have some chunks out of the wall.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 08:54 PM)
Howard didn't make the top three for the best keeper award.

Neither was Mexico's goalie, at least one of those two should have made it.

Costa Rica's goalie deserved his place, the German goalie is outstanding but hasn't had to do that much this tourney, and I don't know why Argentina's goalie made it.

And I can't believe they still have a 3rd place game.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 08:59 PM)
Neither was Mexico's goalie, at least one of those two should have made it.

Costa Rica's goalie deserved his place, the German goalie is outstanding but hasn't had to do that much this tourney, and I don't know why Argentina's goalie made it.

And I can't believe they still have a 3rd place game.

Romero's only given up 3 goals for the entire tournament. Most importantly, 0 goals in the knockout rounds. He was also great in PKs against the Dutch.

Navas deserves it, he carried that Costa Rica team into the quarters. Neuer is one of the best in the world, so I don't see why he doesn't deserve it. Germany has only given up 3 goals all tournament as well.

We're biased towards Howard. He was obviously awesome, but that doesn't mean other keepers didn't perform just as well, if not better.

How many people can be named to this list because you really cant argue against the ones that did make it.

Plus as great as Howard and Ochoa(sp?) played, in the end neither got past the round of 16. Thanks Wondo..

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 01:45 AM)
Romero's only given up 3 goals for the entire tournament. Most importantly, 0 goals in the knockout rounds. He was also great in PKs against the Dutch.

Navas deserves it, he carried that Costa Rica team into the quarters. Neuer is one of the best in the world, so I don't see why he doesn't deserve it. Germany has only given up 3 goals all tournament as well.

We're biased towards Howard. He was obviously awesome, but that doesn't mean other keepers didn't perform just as well, if not better.

Romero has 15 saves in 6 games. Howard had that many in one game. Romero has been helped by a much stronger defense, plus the Dutch didn't really try to score in the semifinal.

Neuer does deserve more credit than I gave him, he has made 25 saves, didn't realize Germany had given up that many shots.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 11:52 AM)
Romero has 15 saves in 6 games. Howard had that many in one game. Romero has been helped by a much stronger defense, plus the Dutch didn't really try to score in the semifinal.

Neuer does deserve more credit than I gave him, he has made 25 saves, didn't realize Germany had given up that many shots.

It helps that Romero is on a team who can control possession and not give up as many opportunities as the US did, but in the end, the amount of saves is dependent on the team you play for.

I don't think you can argue against Tim Howard getting a top keeper award, but I also don't think it's definitive.

Ochoa was also very strong for Mexico.

At any rate, Netherlands was clearly offside, but that doesn't excuse the Brazil defense on that second goal....David Luiz didn't clear it well and the keeper was out of position and in no man's land. First goal for Blind, subbing for Sneijder.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 02:31 PM)
Soccer really needs to develop concussion protocols. That German player should never have been allowed to continue on.

It only took him collapsing on the pitch again to finally remove him, ridiculous.