WGN America dropping Sox, other Chicago sports

Heads22

Those comments are very telling. I totally agree with the PR moves. Fans getting fed up with it.

Cubs fans should go to Iowa cuz it seems that's the only way those fans will see their prospects. Don't get why they don't bring em up like Houston is. May energize fan base.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest problem bringing up Bryant is starting the arbitration clock/Super 2. It's the same situation as Polanco and the Pirates.

With Boras as his agent, they're not going to submit to any hometown discount deals like the proposed Springer deal or the one that Singleton eventually signed with the Stros.

They're kind of between a rock and a hard place, you can certainly understand both sides. So they have to maximize his six years with the Cubs.

Would having Bryant start the year struggling with Chicago at the MLB level have helped their revenues for this season? But yeah, with Baez, Manny Ramirez and soon Bryant, the AAA Iowa Cubs are a heckuva lot more entertaining and a much better value for fans.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 07:58 AM)
The biggest problem bringing up Bryant is starting the arbitration clock/Super 2. It's the same situation as Polanco and the Pirates.

Well that and apparently his strikeout rate is the same as Courtney Hawkins's.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 08:15 AM)
Well that and apparently his strikeout rate is the same as Courtney Hawkins's.

lol, he seems like his homerun rate matches his strikeout rate though

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 05:26 AM)
Those comments are very telling. I totally agree with the PR moves. Fans getting fed up with it.

Cubs fans should go to Iowa cuz it seems that's the only way those fans will see their prospects. Don't get why they don't bring em up like Houston is. May energize fan base.

Houston is taking a lot of heat for pushing their prospects to sign extensions before they bring them up.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 07:45 AM)
Houston is taking a lot of heat for pushing their prospects to sign extensions before they bring them up.

And the fact that one of those guys who didn't agree to an extension was subsequently sent to the minors is also a possible form of intimidation/career sabotage.

Impossible to prove in a court of law, but word gets around quickly.

Rebuilding like the Cubs are doing is very boring and painful. Only those totally in love with prospects, I'd call them draftniks, but people got mad at me for using that term, aren't totally bored by it.

Hopefullly the Sox won't get to the point they have no good players on the field for 3-5 years like the Cubs. I hate rebuilding and being out of it on June 1.

Very sad, though, that WGN is dropping all sports. What kind of station is it going to be? Those bad Matlock shows all day? Wow.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 02:00 PM)
Rebuilding like the Cubs are doing is very boring and painful. Only those totally in love with prospects, I'd call them draftniks, but people got mad at me for using that term, aren't totally bored by it.

Hopefullly the Sox won't get to the point they have no good players on the field for 3-5 years like the Cubs. I hate rebuilding and being out of it on June 1.

Very sad, though, that WGN is dropping all sports. What kind of station is it going to be? Those bad Matlock shows all day? Wow.

They are making a change to carrying their own programming, making the transition that TBS went through from a superstation to a true cable network.