FutureSox: Catching 2015

NorthSideSox72

Trying to project 2015 roster spots is generally a huge guessing game. But for the catching position, things are a little narrower - the free agent class just doesn't have anyone likely for the Sox, and teams aren't trading away that talent if they have it. This means a strong likelihood that the team's catcher in 2015 is already in the organization.

So I took a look at 5 players whose names might be in the hat, the pro and con cases for each, costs/status, and projecting what each needs to do to lay claim to one of the two slots. The article is here. It's kind of long, but since it involes MLB and MiLB guys together, I thought I'd post the link in PHT.

Who do you all think gets a job? Or will they be so desperate that they sign a mediocre free agent?

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 10:16 AM)
If he continues to hit like he did in May, then no.

Tyler put up a .621 OPS in May while hitting .208. While I'll grant that's poor, there are 4 teams in baseball that would still have been an upgrade for on the whole season 3 of whom were thought to be playoff contenders coming into the season (Rangers, Dodgers, Rays).

Flowers had an historically lucky month in April and isn't hitting anymore. If he goes back to what he was last year, I don't think he's earned anything.

Nieto certainly hasn't earned anything, I mean, he hasn't really even had a chance to.

Both have some absurd BABIP numbers. Will be interesting to see where they sit around July.

If Flowers looks more like this May version for the remainder of the season, and continues to struggle with passed balls/blocking pitches (erratic at best, but still better than AJ, which isn't saying a whole lot)...then I would rather see Kevan Smith or Phegley in 2015.

Almost every position other than SS can get better defensively...

By the way, what's his percentage of caught stealing/opportunities compared to 2013? League average?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 10:36 AM)
If Flowers looks more like this May version for the remainder of the season, and continues to struggle with passed balls/blocking pitches (erratic at best, but still better than AJ, which isn't saying a whole lot)...then I would rather see Kevan Smith or Phegley in 2015.

Almost every position other than SS can get better defensively...

By the way, what's his percentage of caught stealing/opportunities compared to 2013? League average?

Right now he's at 27.9%. I can't easily find the league average but that puts him 11th out of 19 qualified catchers.