Sale told to cut his beard

southsider2k5

http://voices.suntimes.com/sports/white-so...o/#.U44KGiihHQq

“They said my beard was getting too raggedy,” Sale said Monday. “I got a call from the front office saying my beard was too scruffy and it had to go.”

General manager Rick Hahn said the “clean it up” order came from manager Robin Ventura.

Teammate and friend Adam Dunn, had his beard neatly trimmed to go with a fresh haircut Monday. Dunn said he agreed that Sale’s beard badly needed a trim. Sale was in in a lighthearted mood talking about it but said the call caught him by surprise.

“I had never heard of it [any such rules] till this year,” Sale said. “I’m going with the ‘stache now. Gotta have fun somehow, right?”

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 02:02 PM)
You guys dont remember when this happened with Crede and AJ back in the day? Old news. FO wants the clean appearance

Oh I definitely remember. snb could probably write a whole paper on how devastated he was when they made Crede cut his hair. It was silly to me than and it's silly to me now but like I said, it's not my team to run.

I respect a team wanting its players to look reasonably 'sharp'. Who needs all the excess facial hair. Just play the game. Be a role model. Oakland did it (facial hair) in the 70's and it was kind of cool, but when everyone does it, it is just a bunch of copycats. Maybe the chicks like it; Lillian can opine here. Same with the necklaces made of what looks like woven fabric. Copycats. Maybe the chicks like that, too. Just play the game, and button your shirts, Napier and Gomes et al.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 02:24 PM)
I respect a team wanting its players to look reasonably 'sharp'. Who needs all the excess facial hair. Just play the game. Be a role model. Oakland did it (facial hair) in the 70's and it was kind of cool, but when everyone does it, it is just a bunch of copycats. Maybe the chicks like it; Lillian can opine here. Same with the necklaces made of what looks like woven fabric. Copycats. Maybe the chicks like that, too. Just play the game, and button your shirts, Napier and Gomes et al.

Athletes aren't role models. At least they shouldn't be.

I was too, but if I had one thing to communicate, it is that it actually reinforces the idea, wrong or right, that the owners of this franchise are not primarily focused on winning. They are distracted by the most irrelevant details. I cant get behind it at all. I miss chicago blackhawks hockey already.

Edited by MAX

QUOTE (MAX @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 04:09 PM)
I was too, but if I had one thing to communicate, it is that it actually reinforces the idea, wrong or right, that the owners of this franchise are not primarily focused on winning. They are distracted by the most irrelevant details. I cant get behind it at all. I miss chicago blackhawks hockey already.

The NBA a few years ago made a point of requiring their players to appear at arenas in dress gear in order to make a more professional presentation to the world. These type of "distractions" are also, to some degree, marketing an image, and thus could motivate a team to make such rules.

That said, Mattingly still needs to get rid of those D*mn sideburns.

QUOTE (MAX @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 03:09 PM)

Like a starting pitcher deciding which uniform to wear? I'd eliminate that practice before having rules about appearance. It's like wearing a suit on the plane. Does it matter in winning or losing? Probably not, but it's a rule and you follow it.

QUOTE (MAX @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 03:09 PM)

Yes taking a tiny amount of time to make and enforce a dress code is really distracting. Hell, just think about how many World Series the Yankees could have won had they not had virtually the same policy.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 03:17 PM)
Yes taking a tiny amount of time to make and enforce a dress code is really distracting. Hell, just think about how many World Series the Yankees could have won had they not had virtually the same policy.

The yankees are the most successful winners in the league. The white sox are in the bottom tier of baseball. Until they sox are a winner, they should focus on winning. Then they can start worrying about their hair.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 03:13 PM)
The NBA a few years ago made a point of requiring their players to appear at arenas in dress gear in order to make a more professional presentation to the world. These type of "distractions" are also, to some degree, marketing an image, and thus could motivate a team to make such rules.

That said, Mattingly still needs to get rid of those D*mn sideburns.

If it were an MLB mandate I could understand its importance better. But its not, as is evidenced by some of the other players appearances around the league.

QUOTE (MAX @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 03:32 PM)
The yankees are the most successful winners in the league. The white sox are in the bottom tier of baseball. Until they sox are a winner, they should focus on winning. Then they can start worrying about their hair.