Winner winner!!!

Bigsoxhurt35

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 09:26 AM)
Noesi with the White Sox is sporting a 3.92 era, 33K, 41 IP, 17 BB, 40H 18ER, 105 ERA+, 1.38 WHIP, 1.94 K/BB

All for a pro-rated $512,500.

That's more than what was expected from Paulino. Good for him.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 12:29 AM)
But we are only 1 game back from a wildcard

Rick Hahn has said in the past that he likes to evaluate after 60 games, which is fine. But in 2014, extend that now to 100 games. There are so many teams in "the blob". Every team is a 6-7 game winning streak from opening up a WC lead, or a 6-7 game losing streak from falling too far back. But we've seen the Red Sox lose 10 in a row, and then bounce right back too.

There's a good chance that the trade deadline will be a huge snoozefest, which it usually is anyway. If it were up to me, the trade deadline would be the Wednesday with 6.5 weeks left in the season. Give teams a little more time to figure out what to do.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 10:26 AM)
Rick Hahn has said in the past that he likes to evaluate after 60 games, which is fine. But in 2014, extend that now to 100 games. There are so many teams in "the blob". Every team is a 6-7 game winning streak from opening up a WC lead, or a 6-7 game losing streak from falling too far back. But we've seen the Red Sox lose 10 in a row, and then bounce right back too.

There's a good chance that the trade deadline will be a huge snoozefest, which it usually is anyway. If it were up to me, the trade deadline would be the Wednesday with 6.5 weeks left in the season. Give teams a little more time to figure out what to do.

I think the trade deadline should be August 31st.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 10:30 AM)

I picked 6.5 weeks left, because that's generally going to leave 25% of the season left. If it's 25-30 games left, it seems a little too rent-a-player, although the waiver deadline is August 31 now.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 09:30 AM)

That seems to be against what the league is trying to do though, which appears to be discouraging as many teams as possible to give up and deal guys. Moving the deadline would be best for the GMs, certainly, but I'm not sure it's best for the majority of fans. And it might not be best for attendance.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 09:26 AM)
Noesi with the White Sox is sporting a 3.92 era, 33K, 41 IP, 17 BB, 40H 18ER, 105 ERA+, 1.38 WHIP, 1.94 K/BB

All for a pro-rated $512,500.

He's basically the team's third best right handed starter, which isn't saying much, but still.

And if Noesi continues to improve under Cooper, then this could be one of the most interesting acquisitions ever.

Your team scores 7 runs off the guy in one inning, he gets DFA'd, said team picks him up off waivers, then develops him into a good starter. How funny would that be?

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 11:00 AM)
He's basically the team's third best right handed starter, which isn't saying much, but still.

And if Noesi continues to improve under Cooper, then this could be one of the most interesting acquisitions ever.

Your team scores 7 runs off the guy in one inning, he gets DFA'd, said team picks him up off waivers, then develops him into a good starter. How funny would that be?

The Sox basically exploited a tip off into getting a guy released, fixed the tip off, and now he is a middle of the rotation starter.

That is why Don Cooper is a legend.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 10:06 AM)
The Sox basically exploited a tip off into getting a guy released, fixed the tip off, and now he is a middle of the rotation starter.

That is why Don Cooper is a legend.

But why can't we do that with hitters, haha?

As much as we seem to be able to identify the best Cuban players to go after (although the jury's still out on Viciedo as of today), and seemed to be right about Tanaka as well (although we have no idea how long it will be before he breaks down)...why should it be so hard to do the same thing with high school and university position players?

Conversely, we've even had a lot of success picking up hitters from other organizations like Quentin, DeAza (until this season), Gillaspie...but we have a devil of a time developing them internally. (Juries are still out on Eaton, Garcia and Davidson...with AJ Pollock making that Eaton move look as logical as, well, the White Sox moving Addison Reed).

Until this recent Tim Anderson stretch, things looked completely hopeless...

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 11:18 AM)
Until this recent Tim Anderson stretch, things looked pretty hopeless...

I disagree, even though some guys still have low batting averages and what not, there are prospects heating up as of late

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 10:19 AM)
I disagree, even though some guys still have low batting averages and what not, there are prospects heating up as of late

The fact remains that only Anderson, maybe Hawkins and a very outside shot Davidson (if he goes on a huge homer streak at 3B) are MLB All-Star quality talents.