2014 White Sox draft pick thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 03:44 PM)
So they basically signed 2-5 at slot value given Fry and Austin combining to equal their 3-4 slots now. I find it hard to imagine a situation where the Sox sign Montes de Oca. As for Rodon, it would seem he will be getting in the 6 million range if he signs.

If Rodon signs in the 6 mil range we can throw close to $600,000 at Montes de Oca (assuming Ziznewski is way under slot which he better be and Clark and Jarvis are basically at slot). I doubt that gets it done but it should at least make it a little interesting.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 09:04 PM)
keithlaw ‏@keithlaw 2m

The White Sox have essentially put an upper bound on what they can give Carlos Rodon by signing picks 2-10.

Which makes me more confident than if they had only signed a handful of 2-10 picks

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 04:04 PM)
keithlaw ‏@keithlaw 2m

The White Sox have essentially put an upper bound on what they can give Carlos Rodon by signing picks 2-10.

Pfft. I had this figured out yesterday. Once all of the bonus figures are released, we will know the number down to the dollar.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 04:25 PM)
And perhaps not confident about signing Montes de Oca.

I hate to agree with Keith Law, but as he said, I think Montes de Oca was a backup plan. Plan A is to sign Rodon, and give whatever remaining overage they can to MdO and see if he bites, knowing he likely won't. But if Plan A fails (which is unlikely), they throw a ton of money at de Oca instead and bank the rest for Int'l spending or the like.

I hate to agree with Keith Law, but as he said, I think Montes de Oca was a backup plan. Plan A is to sign Rodon, and give whatever remaining overage they can to MdO and see if he bites, knowing he likely won't. But if Plan A fails (which is unlikely), they throw a ton of money at de Oca instead and bank the rest for Int'l spending or the like.

Yeah but if Rodon doesn't sign then the Sox lose his slot money so there's still not enough moeny for de Oca.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 04:30 PM)
Yeah but if Rodon doesn't sign then the Sox lose his slot money so there's still not enough moeny for de Oca.

They lose his slot money - not the overage to the pool. If Rodon wants slot, they are going to sign him guaranteed. The issue is if he asks for well over.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 04:30 PM)

Considering he will probably be an overslot signing, that isn't totally a bad thing. They could still use the savings from 2-10 and throw it at the HS kid.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 04:31 PM)
SoxNet.net ‏@SoxNet 15s

With today's signings, Sox look to have around just short of $400k in savings to use towards Rodon or ~$6.1million total. #MLBDraft

It won't happen but if Rodon signs for around slot that means the Sox will have enough to make a strong push for Montes de Oca.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 04:33 PM)
It won't happen but if Rodon signs for around slot that means the Sox will have enough to make a strong push for Montes de Oca.

IF he were to sign for slot, that would leave the Sox the ability to throw around $500k and a college full ride at him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 04:34 PM)
IF he were to sign for slot, that would leave the Sox the ability to throw around $500k and a college full ride at him.

Probably still not enough. Oh well. Enjoy college, kid.