2014 White Sox draft pick thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (gatnom @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 09:04 AM)
But how much money will he be making if he straight out busts? And how much development time is he really losing when most seem to think he can pitch out of the bullpen right now? I'm not saying it's necessarily the best decision, but I can't fault him like everybody here on their high horse.

I don't see any way the White Sox go higher than $6.5 mill - that's what Brady Aiken signed for, and that's well above the 3rd pick's slot value. They are likely offering $6.15 mill (give or take) right now. The difference - $350K - is 5.38% more. If he straight up busts and never pitches beyond the initial contract, he still makes $6.15 million. That's a lot of money.

I don't care what the guy does, but going back to school IS insane and not worth it at all for him at this point.

It could be that he personally wants to rest his arm, and that's fine, but I think the Sox do too.

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 09:13 AM)
Really, he would do that for like 3 months at the very longest. Did it hurt David Price's development? He isnt going to spend years in the pen, only a cup of coffee at the end of the year.

Honestly, I think it would be good for him to spend a few months with Coop, even if out of the pen. What I was trying to say was: how bad is losing a month of development time when a lot of us think he's developed enough to pitch out of the pen right now?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 09:27 AM)
I don't see any way the White Sox go higher than $6.5 mill - that's what Brady Aiken signed for, and that's well above the 3rd pick's slot value. They are likely offering $6.15 mill (give or take) right now. The difference - $350K - is 5.38% more. If he straight up busts and never pitches beyond the initial contract, he still makes $6.15 million. That's a lot of money.

I don't care what the guy does, but going back to school IS insane and not worth it at all for him at this point.

It could be that he personally wants to rest his arm, and that's fine, but I think the Sox do too.

The thing is none of us here, save for Rock and Bucket perhaps, know what's on the table. None of us know whether or not Rodon is actually considering going back to school. As long as he ultimately signs, holding out for more money isn't necessarily hurting him at all. It's just inflaming a bunch of fans who want what's best for them in having him pitch now.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 08:31 AM)
I'll be glad when he signs, a bit because he's really important for the future, but mostly so I don't have to see Boras spelled as Bor-ASS ever again.

(until free agency)

Until he dies, you will see that.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 09:30 AM)
The thing is none of us here, save for Rock and Bucket perhaps, know what's on the table. None of us know whether or not Rodon is actually considering going back to school. As long as he ultimately signs, holding out for more money isn't necessarily hurting him at all. It's just inflaming a bunch of fans who want what's best for them in having him pitch now.

I can almost guarantee that they are offering slot and nothing more. They have no reason to be low balling him and no reason to be offering much more, if any, than slot.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 09:49 AM)
I can almost guarantee that they are offering slot and nothing more. They have no reason to be low balling him and no reason to be offering much more, if any, than slot.

People are acting like they've already offered more than slot, and he's turning it down. All I'm really saying is that it's easy to judge Rodon from afar, but as long as he signs a contract by the deadline he's not doing any real harm to anybody. He's only trying to do what's the best for himself (i.e. what every human being on the planet does).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 10:25 AM)
No one knows what the offers really are right now. I think that speculation is just silly. I think the only thing we know is that Boras is asking for more than what the Sox are offering.

Technically Rodon is asking for more. If Boras talks to the White Sox on his behalf, going back to play baseball at NC State is off the table. Obviously these rules have been bent often, but the White Sox are one of the teams that turned someone in for that.

Aiken agreed to terms a while back but just signed his contract. This is no big deal. You always had to figure it would go to the deadline, and he will sign for slightly more than slot and Boras will look like he extracted the final dollars from the Sox.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 10:13 AM)
I'm not going to get too worked up about this until signing day is near.

Also, I doubt there is a player of his caliber available at 4 next year. Boras knows that. Hahn knows that.

Player of his caliber wasn't supposed to be available at 3.

Also, I doubt there is a player of his caliber available at 4 next year. Boras knows that. Hahn knows that.

Player of his caliber wasn't supposed to be available at 3.

Maybe the Sox are picking at #2 and 4 though. #BIGGESTDRAFTPOOLEVA

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 08:31 AM)
I'll be glad when he signs, a bit because he's really important for the future, but mostly so I don't have to see Boras spelled as Bor-ASS ever again.

A thousand times this. I mean it's not even remotely clever nor does it sound good. Despite this, there are certain posters that repeat it ad nauseum.

Feeky Magee I really don't know you as a poster and I seen your good work on future sox doing the update,

but lets talk about the a word you may know hypocrite. By saying what you said about how I

chose to use borAss is one thing and it would hold water if you were even though out your condemnation of what

I wrote, I will accept it. however on the same day, you didn't even say anything negative about how

Blowasavio was used. ummm

ref DirtySox, I never knew ad nauseum oops I meant ad nauseam was meant that I was using borAss excessive

degree. see I just came back and I didn't know how many times it was used. here is another thought, I believe

I started using borAss many, many yrs ago and I also believe I was the first. either way, why didn't get on your

proverbial and tell how it is not proper to critical of our own players.

btw, yes I had to look up what ad nauseam meant.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 08:16 AM)
Feeky Magee I really don't know you as a poster and I seen your good work on future sox doing the update,

but lets talk about the a word you may know hypocrite. By saying what you said about how I

chose to use borAss is one thing and it would hold water if you were even though out your condemnation of what

I wrote, I will accept it. however on the same day, you didn't even say anything negative about how

Blowasavio was used. ummm

ref DirtySox, I never knew ad nauseum oops I meant ad nauseam was meant that I was using borAss excessive

degree. see I just came back and I didn't know how many times it was used. here is another thought, I believe

I started using borAss many, many yrs ago and I also believe I was the first. either way, why didn't get on your

proverbial and tell how it is not proper to critical of our own players.

btw, yes I had to look up what ad nauseam meant.

:lol: wow

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 07:49 PM)
FutureSox.com ‏@FutureSox 3m

Signing of LHP Adam Choplick, 32nd rd pick & OU Jr, is dependent on Rodon signing and $ avail after. So he's likely going down to the wire.

I've had a long day, did Choplick sign? And how does this affect Rodon?

No he hasn't signed. It basically means he wants more than $10,000. If Rodon signs for the entire pool, Choplick will not be signing. If Rodon leaves a little cash (I have no idea how much) Choplick will sign for that amount.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 07:59 PM)
No he hasn't signed. It basically means he wants more than $10,000. If Rodon signs for the entire pool, Choplick will not be signing. If Rodon leaves a little cash (I have no idea how much) Choplick will sign for that amount.

$100,000, not $10,000.