2014 White Sox draft pick thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 08:05 AM)
Any updated news on Montes de Oca

I just assume that he'll go to school. Rodon wants over slot and Sox took a lot of guys at or near slot in the top 10 rounds. They just don't have the money.

Edited by Y2JImmy0

I think that in the end were going to find out Rodon was just giving his arm a little ciesta before starting the pro career. This is a big jump and a lot of money for a 21 year old, so who cares if he want to bask in the moment for a few. With his workload and s*** defense behind him at NC, can ya really blame him?

Nothing to worry about, Rodon doesn't have the leverage some may think he has.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 07:16 AM)
I think that in the end were going to find out Rodon was just giving his arm a little ciesta before starting the pro career. This is a big jump and a lot of money for a 21 year old, so who cares if he want to bask in the moment for a few. With his workload and s*** defense behind him at NC, can ya really blame him?

Does that include his catcher at NC State?

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 08:30 AM)
Does that include his catcher at NC State?

Not sure to be honest. I have read that the NC infield was pretty bad. Rodon gave up 39 runs in total for the 14 college season and only 22 were earned, very telling about the defense behind him.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 08:16 AM)

He got that when NC St got knocked out of the playoffs early.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 08:54 AM)
He got that when NC St got knocked out of the playoffs early.

And he's getting it again. He's only 21, there's no rush, he'll sign. Patience.

Also keep in mind he will need some time in the minors for his body to adjust to pitching every fifth start so let's not put the Sox uni on him just yet.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 09:01 AM)
And he's getting it again. He's only 21, there's no rush, he'll sign. Patience.

Also keep in mind he will need some time in the minors for his body to adjust to pitching every fifth start so let's not put the Sox uni on him just yet.

With the Sox out of it now, push Rodon's clock as late as possible next year. Then hope for 160 starts from 2016-2020, and see what happens---keep him for 2021 if the Sox are good, or trade him for prospects, since he's a Boras client.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 02:08 PM)
With the Sox out of it now, push Rodon's clock as late as possible next year. Then hope for 160 starts from 2016-2020, and see what happens---keep him for 2021 if the Sox are good, or trade him for prospects, since he's a Boras client.

and see the firework from rodon camp.... I like it.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 09:08 AM)

Yup. Hell, if anything, Rodon taking a ciesta is just helping the Sox delay the start of his clock. I understand how everyone wants to see the new toy run and all but we do need to be patient which isn't easy when your team sucks.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 02:38 PM)
Yup. Hell, if anything, Rodon taking a ciesta is just helping the Sox delay the start of his clock. I understand how everyone wants to see the new toy run and all but we do need to be patient which isn't easy when your team sucks.

you do know if he does sign, he is going to have a clause in there that will force the sox to begin his clock around

sep of this yr.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 09:43 AM)
you do know if he does sign, he is going to have a clause in there that will force the sox to begin his clock around

sep of this yr.

And if that is the case it'll have absolutely no effect on his clock or the White Sox's control of his rights long term if he's any damn good. Clock stops when you're sent to the minors and he'd run out of options in 2018, he should be a fixture in the majors by then.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 03:08 PM)
And if that is the case it'll have absolutely no effect on his clock or the White Sox's control of his rights long term if he's any damn good. Clock stops when you're sent to the minors and he'd run out of options in 2018, he should be a fixture in the majors by then.

my bad.... I thought his clock starts when he comes up.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 10:11 AM)
my bad.... I thought his clock starts when he comes up.

It does but he'll only accrue like 30 days of service which isn't a big deal. Just wait 30 days past the Super 2 deadline to call him up when he's ready to join the rotation and you're all good.

Edited by Kalapse

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 09:43 AM)

sep of this yr.

I understand what you're saying, I'm just not assuming it will be part of the deal until its confirmed when he signs.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 10:14 AM)
It does but he'll only accrue like 30 days of service which isn't a big deal. Just wait 30 days past the Super 2 deadline to call him up when he's ready to join the rotation and you're all good.

Or you can just call him up to begin the year anyways and pay the Super 2 salary. If ihe's the best player and you think it could make a difference at the end of the year, there's no reason to keep him in the minors for half the year to ultimately save around $4 mill total. If the guy's good, he's gonna get paid eventually anyways.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 10:36 AM)
Or you can just call him up to begin the year anyways and pay the Super 2 salary. If ihe's the best player and you think it could make a difference at the end of the year, there's no reason to keep him in the minors for half the year to ultimately save around $4 mill total. If the guy's good, he's gonna get paid eventually anyways.

Agreed

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 09:36 AM)

Still gotta keep him down long enough to ensure the phantom seventh year of control, but yeah, holding out for the Super 2 deadline is asking to shoot yourself in the foot if you have a guy that is going to make your team better.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 11:07 AM)
Still gotta keep him down long enough to ensure the phantom seventh year of control, but yeah, holding out for the Super 2 deadline is asking to shoot yourself in the foot if you have a guy that is going to make your team better.

I agree with this, but I basically assumed this being a formality.