2014 White Sox draft pick thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 27, 2014 -> 01:50 PM)
Ability yes, you have a 4.1 star ability level, but like Alejandro DeAza, you routinely post at a level well below that. I will again rate your profile 5 stars, but please know it is purely out of sarcasm!

This is libelous!

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 27, 2014 -> 03:56 PM)
Con somebody message me when this thread resumes being about draft picks???

Lol no.

I imagine a guy sitting at an important business meeting, negotiating commissions for a huge corporate merger. This deal could salvage dozens of jobs and allow the partners a chance to recoup a large fraction of the profits they agreed to forego in last year's AOL/Time-Warner buyout, in order to ensure that the vision of their product wasn't bastardized. Unfortunately, venture funding dried up after a few deadlines were missed, and suddenly a loan had to be secured to meet payroll over the last three months. It all looks good but there's a tension in the room, borne of the desperation that results from being at the proverbial "one yard line" with so much at stake.

Suddenly, a vibration from a smartphone in a pocket.

What's this? A notification. A new post has been made to a subscribed thread on Soxtalk.com. Ok, whatever, no big deal, I'm sure it's just anoth-- wait. what? The DRAFT PICK THREAD? "Gentlemen I- I'm sorry but I need to go look into something," says the ragged, sleep-addled man."It's just, uh, well we can resume this conversation tomorrow, yes?"

Ignoring the poorly concealed frustration of the businessmen in the conference room, the man hastily packs his briefcase and exits the room with a smile. The drive home is hazy; the cat sneaks outside via the front door, left carelessly ajar upon the man's entrance.

Laptop opened. Bookmark clicked. PHT. Draft Pick Thread. *scroll wheel* *scroll wheel*

ed-nortan-laptop.gif

"Con somebody message me when this thread resumes being about draft picks???"

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 27, 2014 -> 04:10 PM)
Lol no.

I imagine a guy sitting at an important business meeting, negotiating commissions for a huge corporate merger. This deal could salvage dozens of jobs and allow the partners a chance to recoup a large fraction of the profits they agreed to forego in last year's AOL/Time-Warner buyout, in order to ensure that the vision of their product wasn't bastardized. Unfortunately, venture funding dried up after a few deadlines were missed, and suddenly a loan had to be secured to meet payroll over the last three months. It all looks good but there's a tension in the room, borne of the desperation that results from being at the proverbial "one yard line" with so much at stake.

Suddenly, a vibration from a smartphone in a pocket.

What's this? A notification. A new post has been made to a subscribed thread on Soxtalk.com. Ok, whatever, no big deal, I'm sure it's just anoth-- wait. what? The DRAFT PICK THREAD? "Gentlemen I- I'm sorry but I need to go look into something," says the ragged, sleep-addled man."It's just, uh, well we can resume this conversation tomorrow, yes?"

Ignoring the poorly concealed frustration of the businessmen in the conference room, the man hastily packs his briefcase and exits the room with a smile. The drive home is hazy; the cat sneaks outside via the front door, left carelessly ajar upon the man's entrance.

Laptop opened. Bookmark clicked. PHT. Draft Pick Thread. *scroll wheel* *scroll wheel*

ed-nortan-laptop.gif

"Con somebody message me when this thread resumes being about draft picks???"

Holy s*** this was funny! :lol:

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 28, 2014 -> 04:28 PM)
I wonder what the Astro message boards/media are saying about Aiken not yet signing?

Uh, he signed like on Day 2. For $6.5M, which saved Houston something like $1.5M. They should have lost their minds with glee.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/2014-draft...ent_id=79082538

Speaking of 1st RD picks. All by 7 have signed for far. All but 2 in the top 10 (Rodon and Hoffman).

Of the guys who've signed, Schwarber is tearing up his league right now. Nick Gordon is off to a decent start. Alex Jackson has been bad in his week of play, and Aaron Nola has gotten lit up in his 1 start, not even making it out of the 3rd inning.

Everyone's favorite catcher Jakson Reetz is 0 for 6 with 4 Ks in his brief start in Rookie ball.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 29, 2014 -> 12:46 AM)
Uh, he signed like on Day 2. For $6.5M, which saved Houston something like $1.5M. They should have lost their minds with glee.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/2014-draft...ent_id=79082538

You're right, my bad, sorry. I went to the Astro's Home Page and it says 'unsigned'.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 29, 2014 -> 12:55 AM)
Speaking of 1st RD picks. All by 7 have signed for far. All but 2 in the top 10 (Rodon and Hoffman).

Of the guys who've signed, Schwarber is tearing up his league right now. Nick Gordon is off to a decent start. Alex Jackson has been bad in his week of play, and Aaron Nola has gotten lit up in his 1 start, not even making it out of the 3rd inning.

Everyone's favorite catcher Jakson Reetz is 0 for 6 with 4 Ks in his brief start in Rookie ball.

You're right. Schwarber hitting over .500 with 8 homers in two leagues.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 29, 2014 -> 09:13 AM)
You're right. Schwarber hitting over .500 with 8 homers in two leagues.

He has more HR than strikeouts. He almost has an many RBIs as outs recorded. These are astronomical numbers right now, although Jason Parks said they mean absolutely nothing until he gets to like High-A or AA where an advanced college bat should be somewhat challenged. Still though, those numbers are pretty gaudy.

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 07:24 AM)
https://twitter.com/robertreidryan/status/4...5781120/photo/1

Speculation where? You know it's the kiss of death when they start selling a high school pitcher's jersey in stores before he's even signed a contract.

Well, the only things left is to give Brady the keys to the city, erect his statue inside the ballpark and induct him into the hall.

Brady Aiken came to Houston a week ago with his family, the top overall pick’s post-draft physical examinations yet to take place. What has happened since, and whether it’s related to a physical examination, neither Aiken’s representation nor the Astros have said. “I can understand if there’s no announcement people are going to speculate what can possibly be delaying it,” general manager Jeff Luhnow said last week when asked if Aiken’s physicals were an issue. “It’s an important signing for us, it’s an important signing for him....

Per Houston Chronicle

Very strange indeed.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 07:40 PM)
I believe they have to offer 90% of slot for compensation.

Even with a failed physical? Are teams allowed to perform physicals prior to draft? That seems ridiculous.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 01:43 PM)
Even with a failed physical? Are teams allowed to perform physicals prior to draft? That seems ridiculous.

Not that I know of....maybe they can be granted access to past physicals, but to conduct their own, that's not allowed.

And if Aiken indeed has a major physical/pre-existing condition, then you probably will see that rule changed.