2014 White Sox draft pick thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 08:11 AM)
So I didn't get much last night and it took awhile to pry anything out but it appears the dangling of immediate playing time wasn't as effective as expected and they have been asking for over slot. Still confident this gets done. They were kind of shocked that the trigger wasn't pulled already.

That's about all.

tumblr_m7dmoayfbX1qflxq4.jpg

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 08:11 AM)
So I didn't get much last night and it took awhile to pry anything out but it appears the dangling of immediate playing time wasn't as effective as expected and they have been asking for over slot. Still confident this gets done. They were kind of shocked that the trigger wasn't pulled already.

That's about all.

99.9999%. The Sox won't lose him over a little bit of money, but at this point, they also want to save some money too, so come the 11th hour, both sides will flinch and it will get done. I'm guessing $6.5 million.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 08:20 AM)
99.9999%. The Sox won't lose him over a little bit of money, but at this point, they also want to save some money too, so come the 11th hour, both sides will flinch and it will get done. I'm guessing $6.5 million.

I really wanted a number but it's clear this topic is a huge sore spot. Usually I can have a longer conversation but this about shut it down. I was hoping that meant it was close.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 07:20 AM)

If I was Boras, I would just say two words.

"Manny Ramirez (Scott Downs/Jeff Keppinger/Felipe Paulino). You're going to quibble over $250-500,000 over your future frontline starter, c'mon Rick Hahn. You went to Kellogg School and Harvard Law. You're not dumb. The White Sox need Carlos Rodon as much as he needs them. Besides, nobody's coming to games as it is, and you already have two of the top ten players in baseball. Plus, I know you're not going to spend $100+ million in free agency, Carlos is your best chance to have a winner again on the SouthSide."

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 02:39 PM)

"Manny Ramirez (Scott Downs/Jeff Keppinger/Felipe Paulino). You're going to quibble over $250-500,000 over your future frontline starter, c'mon Rick Hahn. You went to Kellogg School and Harvard Law. You're not dumb. The White Sox need Carlos Rodon as much as he needs them. Besides, nobody's coming to games as it is, and you already have two of the top ten players in baseball. Plus, I know you're not going to spend $100+ million in free agency, Carlos is your best chance to have a winner again on the SouthSide."

I would reply, Free Agents and going back to school for another yr and draft again.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 09:39 AM)

First of all, I doubt the difference is $250-500K. I'm guessing the difference at this point is closer to $1-2 mill. If it were as small as the original numbers, they'd take a few hours and iron out their differences.

Also, if I were Rick Hahn, I'd counter with "You are getting $6 milllion. If you think he's going to get significantly more than that next year, you're crazy."

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 02:51 PM)
First of all, I doubt the difference is $250-500K. I'm guessing the difference at this point is closer to $1-2 mill. If it were as small as the original numbers, they'd take a few hours and iron out their differences.

Also, if I were Rick Hahn, I'd counter with "You are getting $6 milllion. If you think he's going to get significantly more than that next year, you're crazy."

I say you are right if not more. i remember some numbers bouncing around 8 - 9 million. but with the way

all info was being thrown around, i am prob wrong.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 08:58 AM)
I say you are right if not more. i remember some numbers bouncing around 8 - 9 million. but with the way

all info was being thrown around, i am prob wrong.

that's what he was supposedly asking for...$8 million...that was rumored around the week before the draft

the White Sox obviously don't even have the space to go to $9 million, and I'm sure they would fold and admit defeat in the face of that demand, which would only end up making both Hahn and Boras look dumb in the end

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 10:05 AM)
that's what he was supposedly asking for...$8 million...that was rumored around the week before the draft

the White Sox obviously don't even have the space to go to $9 million, and I'm sure they would fold and admit defeat in the face of that demand, which would only end up making both Hahn and Boras look dumb in the end

Which is why he won't get that amount.

I can apply at McDonalds and demand $25 an hour, but I'm not getting it.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 03:13 PM)
If Rodon wants as much or more than the #1 over all pick then f*** him. Good luck improving next years draft status. Rodon needs the Sox more than the Sox need him.

I disagree. The Sox have horrible pitching depth in their minors, and lack anyone besides Montas with the potential to be a top starter. The Sox desperately need to lock up Rodon, and none of this should come as too big of a surprise to them.

We talked about this a few weeks ago, but I fully expect to start seeing rumors that Rodon is seriously considering returning to NC St. or sign with an Independent team. It's just the way most Boras negotiations go.

If Rodon wants as much or more than the #1 over all pick then f*** him. Good luck improving next years draft status. Rodon needs the Sox more than the Sox need him.

I'm absolutely fine with the Sox walking away if he won't take $6M.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 09:13 AM)

I'm not so sure about that...we have no pitching prospects to speak of right now.

Angel Sanchez might be our best pitching prospect right now, after two teams gave up on him in the past 6 months.

Boras knows that, and he knows we don't want to go into the free agent market for pitching...he also knows the White Sox, unlike the Cubs, can't push the rebuild another year into the future without hemorrhaging another 10-15% of fans with season ticket packages.

Essentially, it would force the White Sox to spend in the offseason and make a splash big enough to move the meter on season tickets...not even James Shields is going to do that, probably. It would have to be Scherzer or Price, and no way the White Sox have the pieces to trade for Price (goodbye Tim Anderson, Hawkins and Micah Johnson or Montas) or the desire to extend him since he's also left-handed (like Lester).

Just imagine the 0.001% chance we keep hearing...if he doesn't sign, this board will be in full meltdown mode for two or three weeks and you'll see threads all offseason about how cheap the White Sox are if they don't shell out money for Scherzer/Lester/Shields...which is probably the last thing they should be doing logically at this point in the rebuild.

It will be viewed as White Flag II...unless Rodon's arm falls off or he never ends up making much of an impact in the majors.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 10:05 AM)

I wish I could have gotten a number but it was clear this was a bad topic.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 10:19 AM)
I disagree. The Sox have horrible pitching depth in their minors, and lack anyone besides Montas with the potential to be a top starter. The Sox desperately need to lock up Rodon, and none of this should come as too big of a surprise to them.

We talked about this a few weeks ago, but I fully expect to start seeing rumors that Rodon is seriously considering returning to NC St. or sign with an Independent team. It's just the way most Boras negotiations go.

The Sox are rebuilding anyway, Rodon's future is no lock and the Sox get compensated with #4 pick next year. Rodon, if he doesn't sign due to money issues, has to try and build his value even more and as a senior no less. If Rodon goes back for his senior year he will have even less leverage than he does now. I'd call his/boras bluff.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 10:20 AM)
I'm absolutely fine with the Sox walking away if he won't take $6M.

Yup. The #3 pick should not get as high of a bonus as the #1/#2 picks.

Edited by StRoostifer

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 10:21 AM)
I'm not so sure about that...we have no pitching prospects to speak of right now.

Angel Sanchez might be our best pitching prospect right now, after two teams gave up on him in the past 6 months.

Boras knows that, and he knows we don't want to go into the free agent market for pitching...he also knows the White Sox, unlike the Cubs, can't push the rebuild another year into the future without hemorrhaging another 10-15% of fans with season ticket packages.

Essentially, it would force the White Sox to spend in the offseason and make a splash big enough to move the meter on season tickets...not even James Shields is going to do that, probably. It would have to be Scherzer or Price, and no way the White Sox have the pieces to trade for Price (goodbye Tim Anderson, Hawkins and Micah Johnson or Montas) or the desire to extend him since he's also left-handed (like Lester).

Just imagine the 0.001% chance we keep hearing...if he doesn't sign, this board will be in full meltdown mode for two or three weeks and you'll see threads all offseason about how cheap the White Sox are if they don't shell out money for Scherzer/Lester/Shields...which is probably the last thing they should be doing logically at this point in the rebuild.

It will be viewed as White Flag II...unless Rodon's arm falls off or he never ends up making much of an impact in the majors.

No

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 09:27 AM)
No

To me, it's Montas.

I meant among active pitchers. Others will say Danish or Beck. Or Erik Johnson.

But there's certainly nobody we can count on between now and 2015 Opening Day. In fact, I'd say the one best equipped to do it is our new closer, Jake Petricka.

It's (theoretically) also the death of Alexei Ramirez's White Sox career (since there will be no clear path to competitiveness in 2015 and 2016 would be 50/50), and likely the end of Viciedo's as well, if for no other reason than Boras being his agent.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 04:26 PM)
The Sox are rebuilding anyway, Rodon's future is no lock and the Sox get compensated with #4 pick next year. Rodon, if he doesn't sign due to money issues, has to try and build his value even more and as a senior no less. If Rodon goes back for his senior year he will have even less leverage than he does now. I'd call his/boras bluff.

Exactly why you can't let a talent like Rodon get away. The Sox need all the pitching they can get, and there's no guarantees there will be anyone close to Rodon's talent at #4 in the draft next year.

I'm still extremely confident they'll get this done, as there's no way they would have signed the other 9 players in the 1-10 range without being comfortable with Rodon's asking price. If they misjudged what he would ask for, then Hahn has no business being in his role.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 10:26 AM)

Yup. The #3 pick should not get as high of a bonus as the #1/#2 picks.

That's how it works? So potentially could have two top 10 picks next year?? That makes me a little less worried.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 03:30 PM)
That's how it works? So potentially could have two top 10 picks next year?? That makes me a little less worried.

Yes, but the pick has no protection with regards to carrying over to the next year if they don't sign the player.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 09:30 AM)

So essentially we're just like the Cubs then....maybe 2017, maybe 2018, maybe never.

Not to mention the fact that they would almost be FORCED to draft collegiate players with those two high draft picks, because they'd have lost another year of Abreu and Sale in their primes. Which would make that draft even more high risk for the Sox.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 10:33 AM)
Yes, but the pick has no protection with regards to carrying over to the next year if they don't sign the player.

Yeah, which means the Sox would likely agree to a well below slot deal with a player before the draft. It would potentially make for an incredibly interesting draft next year if they cut a deal way below slot like the Astros did with Correa a few years ago. I'd much rather just have Rodon though.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 10:33 AM)

So they would probably want to avoid Boras clients the next time around? :)

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 10:34 AM)
So essentially we're just like the Cubs then....maybe 2017, maybe 2018, maybe never.

Not to mention the fact that they would almost be FORCED to draft collegiate players with those two high draft picks, because they'd have lost another year of Abreu and Sale in their primes. Which would make that draft even more high risk for the Sox.

Yes, it's not to ideal to lose Rodon given the team's current situation. Just saying that it makes it a little easier to handle if he just wants to be a hard ass and hold out.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 10:30 AM)
Exactly why you can't let a talent like Rodon get away. The Sox need all the pitching they can get, and there's no guarantees there will be anyone close to Rodon's talent at #4 in the draft next year.

I'm still extremely confident they'll get this done, as there's no way they would have signed the other 9 players in the 1-10 range without being comfortable with Rodon's asking price. If they misjudged what he would ask for, then Hahn has no business being in his role.

Thing is , Rodon is no guarantee either. Its a risk either way really.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 10:30 AM)

As long as the Sox offer 90% of slot value, I believe. I'm not cheering for the #4 comp pick next year, would rather have Rodon. Just not willing to allow a guy that doesn't have the leverage he thinks he has to strong arm the Sox in negotiations.