2014 White Sox draft pick thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (TRU @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 04:08 PM)
See wites post, don't think you understood what I was saying.

Personally, I don't give two s***s if we sign Rodon or not. He has just as good a chance to be terrible as he does at being great.

Not only is that laughable, but if you feel that way, why are you even interested in the draft discussion?

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 08:43 PM)
There's going to be the longest thread in the history of SoxTalk on July 18th if he doesn't sign.

It would also go a long way towards sealing the fate of Viciedo, if that hasn't already been decided.

Bingo !!!!!!! i have been thinking of the BorAss / Viciedo since the season started. As much i was pulling

for the Cuban connections with the other players, i would say screw it with Viciedo and trade him. BorAss

will never give the sox a break or anything.

remember when danks family had borAss as their agent, they change in order to get the sox to sign them. I

wonder what value the other teams has on Viciedo????

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 04:41 PM)
Not only is that laughable, but if you feel that way, why are you even interested in the draft discussion?

I don't find it laughable. The guy was drafted third overall, we don't need to play hardball with him or deal with any bulls***. Sign your contract or go back to school, hes a prospect you act like he is a sure bet. Hes not. Im not going to lose any sleep if Carlos Rodon doesn't want to sign for what will surely be a more than a fair offer.

This is pointless anyway, as people in the know are saying is he going to sign anyway.

Give it another week, then it won't be so laughable. Boras said to be waiting for #2 pick Kolek to sign with Marlins. I'm just glad that Boras doesn't represent both. Kolek's agent is probably waiting for Rodon to sign. Rodon is sitting around eating potato chips all day for all we know.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 08:58 AM)
Every day that Rodon doesn't sign, pisses away the small chance that he could pitch for Chicago this year.

Now THAT part I don't really care about. Whether or not the guy pitches a couple September games this year is pretty irrelevant to me, unless the team is in contention that late in the season.

I just want the guy signed and getting started in his pro career.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 09:01 AM)
Now THAT part I don't really care about. Whether or not the guy pitches a couple September games this year is pretty irrelevant to me, unless the team is in contention that late in the season.

I just want the guy signed and getting started in his pro career.

It's only relevant to us because Hahn could include a spot on the 40 man roster as an incentive for him to take less money and allow us to possibly sign Montes de Oca. If MDO isn't interesting in signing, even at a half a million, then I guess it really doesn't matter if we sign Rodon for slot or 6 million, considering we already have all our other other important picks signed.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 09:06 AM)
It's only relevant to us because Hahn could include a spot on the 40 man roster as an incentive for him to take less money and allow us to possibly sign Montes de Oca. If MDO isn't interesting in signing, even at a half a million, then I guess it really doesn't matter if we sign Rodon for slot or 6 million, considering we already have all our other other important picks signed.

Exactly.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 06:58 AM)
Every day that Rodon doesn't sign, pisses away the small chance that he could pitch for Chicago this year.

And that is fine with me. I am in no rush. He's thrown a lot of innings / pitches already and it would be foolish to rush him. The time off should be good for his arm.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 09:40 AM)
And that is fine with me. I am in no rush. He's thrown a lot of innings / pitches already and it would be foolish to rush him. The time off should be good for his arm.

I'm thankful NC State didn't make the tournament so it put a cap on his innings. He only pitched 98 innings this season, he could probably throw another 30 in pro ball and still be under what he's done in previous seasons and that's including the nice break he's had.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 11:52 AM)
Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisMLB 13m

No. He'll sign. @coreyeldiablo: should I be afraid that carlos Rodon won't sign with the @whitesox @MLBDraft

I really wish people would stop worrying about that.

Still haven't gotten figures for the Sox 8th and 9th round picks as of yet. BUT if Ziznewski gets the same $40k as Lechich, and Clark gets his slot dollars, the Sox will have $356,300 extra money left over that they can offer to either Rodon or De Oca without going into fines territory.

For Rodon, that means they could offer him $6,077,800. If Ziznewski signs for $10,000, that number goes to $6,107,800.

Laumann and others said he would be getting rest, even if he signed now. So he's in the rest period, but unsigned. I expect he'll sign in the next 10 days, and find his way to the Sox bullpen by mid-August. Chris Sale debuted August 6, 2010, so mid-August isn't out of the question.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 10:48 AM)
Still haven't gotten figures for the Sox 8th and 9th round picks as of yet. BUT if Ziznewski gets the same $40k as Lechich, and Clark gets his slot dollars, the Sox will have $356,300 extra money left over that they can offer to either Rodon or De Oca without going into fines territory.

For Rodon, that means they could offer him $6,077,800. If Ziznewski signs for $10,000, that number goes to $6,107,800.

I'm confused. The 1st post says Montes de Oca is committed to Mizzou so why is there still discussion about signing him ?

I'm confused. The 1st post says Montes de Oca is committed to Mizzou so why is there still discussion about signing him ?

You can still sign guys that are committed to a college. It's just harder to do because they have a backup plan.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 12:17 PM)
You can still sign guys that are committed to a college. It's just harder to do because they have a backup plan.

OK I thought committed meant like it's a sure thing he's going back to school and the Sox have no chance of signing him. I mean i know our 2nd round pick was committed to some school too but wasn't sure how that word was being used when it comes to how that 1st post is viewed. So if someone decides to go back to school and not sign with the Sox what will it say in the 1st post ?

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 02:26 PM)
OK I thought committed meant like it's a sure thing he's going back to school and the Sox have no chance of signing him. I mean i know our 2nd round pick was committed to some school too but wasn't sure how that word was being used when it comes to how that 1st post is viewed. So if someone decides to go back to school and not sign with the Sox what will it say in the 1st post ?

Nothing stops us from signing MDO except for the July 18th deadline.