2014 White Sox draft pick thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 10:31 AM)
He would pretty much have to go 1 or 2 to get anywhere near what the Sox will give him this year. A lot can go wrong. One thing which I just read a couple of days ago, the White Sox could collapse, get one of those top picks, and would need Rodon's permission to draft him again. They probably wouldn't bother. Wite's not always right, but his odds of Rodon signing with the White Sox before July 18th are correct IMO. It makes zero sense not to sign, you just have to go through the Boras song and dance for a while.

What you didn't add is that, on the off chance the White Sox did get one of the top couple picks and passed on him after a breakdown this year...that would push him at least 1 (if not 2) extra picks down the draft this year, and the difference between #3 slot money and #5 slot money is several million dollars.

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 03:09 PM)
I agree, which disappoints me that he didn't sign for slot quickly and include a spot on the 40 man roster or something. At least that way Boras could spin it that he did something for the guy. With the longer he hold outs, in my mind the less likely he signs for slot because what the hell was he waiting for then?

If this follows the typical Boras negotiating pattern, there's going to be a meltdown on here when on July 10th, a report comes out saying that Rodon is leaning towards returning to NC St for his senior season.

For those that are worried he won't sign, there is one key thing that should make you feel better. Never in a million years would Hahn and company have locked up the 2-10 picks as quickly as they did if they thought they were going to need substantially more money to sign Rodon. Signing someone like J. Peters to a slot deal, only to lose 150k or so to add to the Rodon deal would be worse than the Swisher trade.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 09:26 AM)
Again, I agree with most of it, but I wouldn't see it as a very slim chance he goes #1 or #2. He was the consensus number 1 prospect heading into this year, had a year which was seen as relatively disappointing and still was considered by most as the #2 prospects, sliding to #3 after a surprise pick at #2, in what was considered a good draft.

In fact, the fact that his leverage is way lower as a senior makes it even more likely he'd go #1 or #2, you'd get a premium talent and the probability of an underslot deal.

I'm nitpicking really, I agree with the premise that he should sign.

That was my point.

Working with the MLB staff on his change would be the advantage and he could develop it.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 10:48 AM)
If this follows the typical Boras negotiating pattern, there's going to be a meltdown on here when on July 10th, a report comes out saying that Rodon is leaning towards returning to NC St for his senior season.

I think a few of us will be still saying "This is a normal negotiating tactic". If nothing else it appears you and I will agree on that.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 09:50 AM)
For those that are worried he won't sign, there is one key thing that should make you feel better. Never in a million years would Hahn and company have locked up the 2-10 picks as quickly as they did if they thought they were going to need substantially more money to sign Rodon. Signing someone like J. Peters to a slot deal, only to lose 150k or so to add to the Rodon deal would be worse than the Swisher trade.

Bingo. The White Sox did their due diligence. He's going to sign. It's not like Rodon fell to the 8th pick like Appel did. Appel was also unique in that he comes from a very wealthy family and money is not a large concern for him. Continuing, Rodon will have less leverage next year being a college senior and all. He will also be re-entering the draft in what is looking to be stronger class than this year's. For those that are worried that he hasn't signed yet, Boras draft clients almost always push it right up to the signing deadline. It's pretty surprising that Jackson signed as early as he did.

I think the curtain was pulled back on the Rodon/Boras strategy when Rodon was interviewed the day after he was drafted:

""I'm not really sure," Rodon said. "That's later down the road, in a month or so. We'll figure that out. I'm still trying to enjoy this moment, spend time with my family. Enjoy the whole thing and let it sink in.""

I don't really think they are going to be even serious about signing until a week before the deadline.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 07:30 AM)
Find me any GM who said he just drafted a guy who he didn't think he could sign with his #1 pick.

Right, which is my point. We were all throwing out quotes about Hahn saying that he feels confident he will sign him, etc, and yet Huntington said the exact same things about Appel and didn't get it done. In other words, it means nothing.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 01:45 PM)
Right, which is my point. We were all throwing out quotes about Hahn saying that he feels confident he will sign him, etc, and yet Huntington said the exact same things about Appel and didn't get it done. In other words, it means nothing.

Appel had a lot less to risk though. The #8 pick's slot value is about $3.2 mill while there are slot values in millions all the way down to about #55, and he could have earned as much as $8 mill. Rodon is risking a hell of a lot more than that and there really is not a whole lot of benefit to doing so.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 12:49 PM)
Appel had a lot less to risk though. The #8 pick's slot value is about $3.2 mill while there are slot values in millions all the way down to about #55, and he could have earned as much as $8 mill. Rodon is risking a hell of a lot more than that and there really is not a whole lot of benefit to doing so.

You and many others in this thread are being too logical. That can get you in trouble. Ask any marriage counselor.

Boras has a history of not being logical, just greedy. His history with White Sox also shows a hint of vindictiveness. Not sure where it started. My logic, which is often flawed, says that Rodon would be better taking the money now and getting to work instead of drinking beer, eating potato chips, and whatever else 21 year olds do these days.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 04:00 PM)
You and many others in this thread are being too logical. That can get you in trouble. Ask any marriage counselor.

Boras has a history of not being logical, just greedy. His history with White Sox also shows a hint of vindictiveness. Not sure where it started. My logic, which is often flawed, says that Rodon would be better taking the money now and getting to work instead of drinking beer, eating potato chips, and whatever else 21 year olds do these days.

What vindictiveness? The last bad blood between the Sox and Boras was back with like Weaver or Seay or Hill, wasn't it? Those happened almost 20 years ago.

They don't like dealing with him, but they haven't really had any problems.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 05:00 PM)

Boras has a history of being greedy, you're right, and that's why Rodon will sign, because it is absolutely the right financial decision to do so. Given that he already worked a full season and there was talk of him being overworked, there's also no reason to rush into it.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 04:00 PM)

Boras is 100 percent logical for his clients and himself.

It was more over the White Sox being used to inflate A-Rod contract value as a "false suitor" when there was never any intention for him to come to Chicago (which surely drove JR up a wall).

They've had a few recent contacts with Boras because of Danks, Viciedo, Crede...I think Hahn on draft day mentioned a couple of other examples. Andruw Jones was another, for sure.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 03:48 PM)
It was more over the White Sox being used to inflate A-Rod contract value as a "false suitor" when there was never any intention for him to come to Chicago (which surely drove JR up a wall).

They've had a few recent contacts with Boras because of Danks, Viciedo, Crede...I think Hahn on draft day mentioned a couple of other examples. Andruw Jones was another, for sure.

Exact-a-mundo. Thou, didn't Danks change his agent before signing?

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 17m

Buddy Bell talked today about numerous topics including Carlos Rodon. He expects his signing to go down to the Draft signing deadline, but.

he would like to see him sign sooner than later because he has such high expectations for Rodon.

Bell: "The sooner you sign and with his ability and how I see him, this kid is going to be in the big leagues soon....

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 16m

More Bell: "... It just seems to me if money is the issue, he’s going to make a helluva lot more getting it started than not."

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 07:13 PM)
Exact-a-mundo. Thou, didn't Danks change his agent before signing?

I believe that was Jordan. Projected to go around the 2nd round, had Boras as agent, dropped past the 6th and out of the first day, the Sox drafted him in like the 7th and he switched his agent.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 21, 2014 -> 12:37 PM)

Buddy Bell talked today about numerous topics including Carlos Rodon. He expects his signing to go down to the Draft signing deadline, but.

he would like to see him sign sooner than later because he has such high expectations for Rodon.

Bell: "The sooner you sign and with his ability and how I see him, this kid is going to be in the big leagues soon....

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 16m

More Bell: "... It just seems to me if money is the issue, he’s going to make a helluva lot more getting it started than not."

So I would imagine that the Sox are offering slightly over slot at around $6 million. Boras is holding out for the entire overage that JR has never been willing to pay. Rodon will sign for like $6.1 million around the signing deadline date.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 21, 2014 -> 01:13 PM)
I believe that was Jordan. Projected to go around the 2nd round, had Boras as agent, dropped past the 6th and out of the first day, the Sox drafted him in like the 7th and he switched his agent.

I think it was both of them.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 21, 2014 -> 04:33 PM)
So I would imagine that the Sox are offering slightly over slot at around $6 million. Boras is holding out for the entire overage that JR has never been willing to pay. Rodon will sign for like $6.1 million around the signing deadline date.

Boras is probably trying to get the Sox to set a precedent by giving up their first rounder next season to get a deal done. Though knowing Boras' style, he probably has not even returned the Sox call on Rodon yet and will wait until the 11th hour to negotiate.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 09:42 AM)
I thought this was happening "any day now" like 2 weeks ago, what happened?

The only person who said any day now was Rock. All other indications I've seen point to this taking a while, but there has been very little information available. If you read into what Hahn and Bell have said, they seem pretty resigned to this taking a while, and they are trying to prod him into getting it done faster.