Winner winner!

Bigsoxhurt35

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 12:40 PM)
As most know, I love to cherry pick....Sans 2 games where Danks was absolutely shelled, giving up 15 runs in 9.2 innings, Johnny has a 2.89 ERA in his other 10 starts. 9 of his 12 starts have been of the quality variety.....

I know a lot of people have talked about trading Danks, but if he keeps this up for the next 2 months, there's no way I'm trading him.

Cherry-picking aside, his upside at this point is managing to get close to earning his contract. If you can get out from under that, you have to. Worst case you re-allocate it to a similar pitcher who has a chance to out-earn it.

Never forget that the first couple years of the big FA contract are expected to be the highest yield. It's nice that he's not totally cooked at this point, but the value of the deal went down the toilet a long time ago. He was never expected to be worth it toward the end, and that was before the injury.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 01:15 PM)
Come July it may make a lot of sense do to splits for Danks before & after ~Memorial day if he can keep this groove up.

I'm not going to say that he is back to his 2008 self, but if he can settle into somewhere between 2010 and 2011, you've got yourself a really good top three pitchers for this team in Sale, Q, and Danks. Throw some serviable outings from Noesi and Rienzo back there, and this is a plus rotation in MLB.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 01:18 PM)
I'm not going to say that he is back to his 2008 self, but if he can settle into somewhere between 2010 and 2011, you've got yourself a really good top three pitchers for this team in Sale, Q, and Danks. Throw some serviable outings from Noesi and Rienzo back there, and this is a plus rotation in MLB.

Add a free agent or tradee #3 starter and you've got a real shot. I feel more comfortable dreaming on Danks being a good #4, but that's a rotation that could take the division if the offensive improvement is for real.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 05:29 PM)
Because that means giving up kids to win now.

Plus our biggest problems are in the outfield and pitching. Nobody is going to give up pitching cheaply and you already have long term plans for Eaton and Garcia and maybe Viciedo. It's better to just let Viciedo do his thing and either give himself another year or enough rope to hang himself.

It's not like what, 2010 I think, when they had a crater at 3B and trading for Youk immediately made them 2-3 wins better.