Sox Draft Carlos Rodon> Draft Day Discussion Thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Litigator (Chicago): Keith Law said today that the White Sox have moved off of Kolek, and will take Nola instead. He has Kolek dropping to #8. Why? Kolek seemed like a great choice at #3 to me.

Draft Day Chat with Nick J. Faleris: Kolek's body and velocity kept him on short lists as someone the teams up top absolutely needed to keep tabs on, but once that short list gets paired down it's easy to see why Kolek might get dropped in favor of a less risky proposition. Kolek is 11th on my board, and that's a result of him being highly underdeveloped, showing secondaries that at present fair often play below average, below average command, almost no track record (didn't play on the scouting circuit and had minimal exposure to the rest of the high-profile HS talent in the class), and highly overmatched spring competition (which could essentially be dominated by erratic fastballs).

He's a great prospect, and really interesting from a developmental standpoint. But it's more of a $3 MM investment profile for me than $4.5 or 5.5 M

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/chat/chat.php?chatId=1165

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 03:19 PM)
Yes, those surefire previous mlb drafts that happened in the past.

No, but there is usually a "best" pitcher in the draft. This year There have been at least 3 listed that could go 1.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 09:47 PM)
It would be so baseball if Tyler Beede still had the best career of all of them, and nobody is talking about him in the top 3 today.

Well, he has the tools. They all have the tools.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 04:06 PM)
I just find it so bizarre that 4 hrs before the draft the consensus on Kolek's secondary stuff is below average when all I'm hearing before was that it was rarely used but above average.

It's all fun and games to speculate on upside but when the chips are down it's hard to bet on it.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 05:06 PM)
I just find it so bizarre that 4 hrs before the draft the consensus on Kolek's secondary stuff is below average when all I'm hearing before was that it was rarely used but above average.

Sox are engaging in a game of espionage trying to devalue him so when they pick him they can save 10% and use it later to grab someone that fell a bit with their 2nd pick.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 02:09 PM)
The dilemma of Kolek or Nola will be resolved in two hours when Houston takes Rodon #1, Miami takes Jackson #2 and the Sox take Aiken #3. :D

More like :pray

Really though I think with all the research I've done - I've sold myself on anyone we're possible to land. We will get a good piece in the first and some other good ones to follow.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 04:12 PM)
More like :pray

Really though I think with all the research I've done - I've sold myself on anyone we're possible to land. We will get a good piece in the first and some other good ones to follow.

Oh, I'm praying alright! Lol.

I agree tho. With so much talent available at #3, I think most Sox fans will be pleased with the pick. After Aiken, I have Kolek, Jackson, Rodon and Nola constantly changing their order in my head. Not sure who to pull for if Aiken comes off the board before the Sox pick.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 04:21 PM)
Maybe Houston will do something nobody sees coming and take Jackson, leaving Chicago one of Aiken or Rodon, now that would be great.

Yes! Im totally on the fence when trying to choose between Rodon, Nola or Kolek. f*** it, just draft Jackson. :lol: