Sox Draft Carlos Rodon> Draft Day Discussion Thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question - what does it mean that the Cubs took a guy under slot? I realize that it means they are drafting a player who will cost less than the projected slot, but why would a player drafted at #4 take less than the projection? Is this the case of the Cubs taking a college player who has no other options as opposed to a high school player who could threaten to go to college? If that is the case, the White Sox took a player who may be over slotted. Why would a player expect to get more money than the slot he was actually picked in?

Baseball America:

3. WHITE SOX: Pick: Carlos Rodon, lhp, North Carolina State

Pick value: $5,721,500

Area Scout: Abe Fernandez

Pick analysis: The White Sox were known to covet pitching and drafted the consensus No. 1 overall player entering the year. They had narrowed their list down to a few arms and Rodon was the one that reached them.

Scouting report: The son of Cuban-Americans who moved to North Carolina when he was a 9-year-old, Rodon emerged as one of the state’s top pitchers as a high school senior and was being crosschecked heavily when back spasms sapped his velocity and pushed him down the draft. A 16th-rounder of the Brewers in 2011, he spurned more than $500,000 to attend North Carolina State, where his velocity jumped immediately as he firmed up his body and shortened his stride. He hit 97 mph regularly in short stints to open his freshman season, with a slider that immediately became one of the best in college baseball. His slider remains the best pitch in the draft for most scouts, sitting 85-87 mph and scraping 89 at its best with two-plane depth. Multiple scouts have given Rodon’s slider 80 grades on the 20-80 scale when it is on, though some say he relies on the slider too much. More concerning this year was a lack of explosiveness on his fastball for the first half of the season, when Rodon often sat 89-92, as well as below-average command, particularly to his arm side. His changeup was a solid-average pitch last summer, when he dominated Cuba to end his summer with USA Baseball’s Collegiate National Team and pitched like a big leaguer. It has been inconsistent and often non-existent this spring, however. His listed 6-foot-3, 234-pound frame is an asset for some due to thick, strong legs and durability; others knock him for a lack of athleticism and projection. Rodon’s confidence crosses over into cockiness at times, but his competitiveness gives him a No. 1 pitcher’s mentality. A second-half revival of his fastball velocity back to the mid-90s, tied to improved direction in his delivery to home plate, had him more closely resembling the pitcher who led Division I in strikeouts and strikeouts per nine in 2013, when he led the Wolfpack to its first College World Series trip since 1967. The worst-case scenario for Rodon is a potential closer, but he’s a potential frontline starter with some refinement.

Twitter: @CarlosRodon16

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 05:38 PM)
How is Jackson falling this low?

$$$ demands?

As soon as the Marlins passed and went with Kolek, he got pushed back.

Basically, the same thought process with how Tyler was going to fall back to 8-11 if the White Sox didn't take him.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 06:40 PM)
+1

Like I said earlier, hopefully we don't pick this high again for a while, and this signals to me that 1.) we believe that we can compete in the now to near-future and 2.) we are willing to spend and we know that we can't f*** this pick up.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 06:44 PM)
Like I said earlier, hopefully we don't pick this high again for a while, and this signals to me that 1.) we believe that we can compete in the now to near-future and 2.) we are willing to spend and we know that we can't f*** this pick up.

I think we are ahead of what everyone expected.. Our pitching rotation could be awesome in 3 years with Sale-Rodon-Quintana-Danish... Oh man!