Sox Draft Carlos Rodon> Draft Day Discussion Thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like, as usual, Chicago has a rep as a 1st class org to play for. Rarely if ever do players have a bad thing to say about how the Sox do things. As much as I am loathe to praise JR at times, that's a real testement to how he runs things. That move he made to honor the pension of the clubhouse employees even after MLB changed the rules is pure class as well.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 05:28 PM)
Sox draft Jake Jarvis, listed him as 2B. Callis said he thought he was considered unsignable, and he preferred him as a pitcher. Curious that the Sox would take a tough sign with the last of the slotted picks. Must think they have the money moved around.

I like it. I saw his video on mlb.com. Sharp break to his curveball and his fast ball has some good sink to it at 88-90

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 11:07 PM)
Yeah, those were the only things that I'd say he needs to delete. "xxxx is offically gay" and "Queer" are a couple of the captions. Doesn't offend me in any way, but as a pro athlete, people will find a reason to make a big deal out if it.

LMAO, you've got to be kidding me with this. People will find a reason to make a big deal out of it? It's a big deal in and of itself, pro athlete or not. But hey, let's put the onus on "the people" instead of the person putting stupid s*** on twitter. Glad it doesn't offend you, though.

My draft grades. Not really considering money/signability. It's pretty uninformed, just reading scouting reports for every past Rodon like everyone else.

1. Carlos Rodon- A+: Was my number one player in the draft and we got him at #3. Awesome. Could not have worked out better.

2. Spencer Adams- A: Great athlete has a pretty much perfect scouting report outside missing a 3rd pitch for now. Sox should be able to fix that. Luckily fell to us. Hard to do better.

3. Jace Fry- B: I like this pick too. High floor IMO. Terrific stats for the number 1 team in the land. Adds a couple mph and he could easily project into the mlb rotation. Else he should be able to make it a Loogy, something we desperately need.

4. Brett Austin- C: We needed a position player here so why not go with one of the best college bats. Unfortunately he doesn't have a position. Former first rounder so there's definitely talent.

5. Zach Thompson- B: Love this pick, even if it was for signability reasons. He's really raw but already has a plus fastball. If he can develop any of his secondary pitches he should definitely make it the pen. Sounds like they're going to try him as a starter first but he screams pen to me.

6. Louie Lechich- D: Signability pick. That's fine. Wasn't drafted as a junior, not a good sign. But put up decent numbers this year and is a good athlete. Can't find much on him whatsoever so that leads me to believe he wasn't really on anyone's radar.

7. Jake Peter- F: The worst pick for us so far IMO. He's a two way player that no one really knows what we drafted him as, probably because he doesn't project well at either.

8. John Ziznewski- B: A small conference player of the year. Huge all around production. Only downfall here is that he's 23, but that's okay for where we drafted him. Hopefully he can rise quickly.

9. Brian Clark- B: 2 pitch pitcher was dominant as a closer two years ago but struggled switching to the rotation and probably fell a bit because of that. I assume he has the pen in his future and I do believe he's a legit prospect there.

10. Jake Jarvis- A: This is probably a wasted pick since he's apparently not going to sign but for now we can pretend he will and that's obviously great value here.

Overall- A: Great draft. Of course the first two picks were awesome but the later 8 I do believe we did mostly a good job of getting sign able guys who can eventually contribute at the MLB level.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

Don't feel like going back through all the pages, but is Spencer Adams considered signable? That kid looks like he could be something special in 2-3 years. If we can get him and Rodon signed and into the system quick we could really have something going with our pitching staff.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 07:15 PM)
LMAO, you've got to be kidding me with this. People will find a reason to make a big deal out of it? It's a big deal in and of itself, pro athlete or not. But hey, let's put the onus on "the people" instead of the person putting stupid s*** on twitter. Glad it doesn't offend you, though.

:headbang

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 06:15 PM)

Yeah, not a big deal at all, actually.