Sox Draft Carlos Rodon> Draft Day Discussion Thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 7, 2014 -> 01:37 PM)
Montes De Oca looks like an absolute monster. 6'8" high schooler who's already throwing 97? What are the rules after the 10th round again?? Can't we throw as much money as we want at the kid??

You can give him any amount as long as you have it available from your allotment. Thus if the Sox underslot a bunch of guys in rounds 1 through 10 and free up a million, they could theoretically throw that million at him. Probably not very feasible considering Rodon is seeking big money as well. Teams will grab these tough signs after round 10 because in rounds 11 and on you don't lose the slot amount if you don't sign the player you select. If he goes to school, he goes to school. No harm no foul.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 7, 2014 -> 02:36 PM)
You can give him any amount as long as you have it available from your allotment. Thus if the Sox underslot a bunch of guys in rounds 1 through 10 and free up a million, they could theoretically throw that million at him. Probably not very feasible considering Rodon is seeking big money as well. Teams will grab these tough signs after round 10 because in rounds 11 and on you don't lose the slot amount if you don't sign the player you select. If he goes to school, he goes to school. No harm no foul.

Got it, thanks.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 7, 2014 -> 03:14 PM)
I have a hunch Jake Jarvis is gonna sign. His bio already says infielder in the Chicago White Sox organization.

Yep. I posted it a few pages back with an article. It really sounds like it's close or maybe even done.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 7, 2014 -> 03:15 PM)
Yep. I posted it a few pages back with an article. It really sounds like it's close or maybe even done.

Sorry for not looking through it, but yeah thank you. Good sign. Is he better with his stick or pitching?

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Jun 7, 2014 -> 02:22 PM)
So just briefly reading about De Oca. I'd be shocked if he signed. He'll probably go to mizzou to up his draft stock. Unless we can talk him out of it because already had TJ once.

I know the Sox will probably be tapped out after Rodon and Spencer but if I'm De Oca, I don't think pitching in college is the best move with 1 TJS already under my belt. He's really going to take the chance that he will be healthy for the next 3 years, pitching for free? F that. I'd go pro.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 7, 2014 -> 03:19 PM)
I know the Sox will probably be tapped out after Rodon and Spencer but if I'm De Oca, I don't think pitching in college is the best move with 1 TJS already under my belt. He's really going to take the chance that he will be healthy for the next 3 years, pitching for free? F that. I'd go pro.

Very good point that I haven't really thought of (just saw we drafted him). And considering our history with keeping pitching and position players healthy is top in the league.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 7, 2014 -> 03:19 PM)

It will really depend on what the Sox have left in their pool after the first 10 picks. They can go 5% over their pool without losing a pick and I believe their pool is about 9.8 million which means they have about $490,000 on top of that to play with. If their first 10 picks come in at or about slot and the Sox can offer him $500,000+ he will have a tough decision to make. And if the Sox are below slot after first 10 picks (unlikely but not impossible) then they will be able to make him a pretty good offer.