Sox Draft Carlos Rodon> Draft Day Discussion Thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 01:54 PM)
Heh, reminds me of the Moneyball movie where the old scouts were asking about a prospect's girlfriend.

Haha, that's a scouts job though. Just making sure all the bases are covered. :P

QUOTE (Baron @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 01:57 PM)
I cant wait to watch the Cubs fan's reactions when they go underslot

Yes! The cubs pick fourth, are desperate for pitching, the draft is heavy on pitching, so its likely they draft a hitter... at underslot no less.

I like the way you think Baron.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 02:05 PM)
To me it sounds like we're probably:

Aiken

Rodon

Kolek or Nola, weighing this one.

If that's the case then we're getting a lefty should anyone else sneak in 1 or 2. That hinges on the Astros then because if they go Rodon we could still get Aiken, but if they go Aiken we'll have to hope the Marlins pass on the obvious fit in Rodon, and that just seems unlikely.

I don't want Nola so I hope the Astros take anyone but Aiken at #1.

The Astros may be tempted to grab Rodon since Appel seems to be bombing and they might want some pitching to go with their position player prospects that are graduating to the majors.

He seems like the type of pitcher who would absolutely dominate A ball if they send him there after he signs due to his command. I know a lot of people disagree with this philosophy, but I could understand why the Sox would go after a guy that can contribute in the majors in the next year or so. I'm sure they want to put the most competitive team out on the field they can in two years with Abreu and Sale in their peak years.

In the first round, you're supposed to draft guys that could be stars.

Nola will never be a star.

Why waste the pick? You can get low ceiling college arms later in the draft.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 12:49 PM)
What do you not get? If the Marlins choice is between a guy who is there and a guy who is not there, then they will obviously pick the guy who is there. If it's Rodon vs. Aiken for Houston and Rodon and Jackson for the Marlins, then a selection of Rodon by the Astros (assuming 50/50) leaves Aiken to us.

The Marlins draft board is going to be set by now in all likelihood. If it goes Rodon/Jackson or Jackson/Rodon 1/2 then as long as HOU takes Rodon, Aiken will be ours.

I misread, thought you had Aiken in Miami's choices

Either way, I think all this chat is deemed irrelevant by the Astros taking Aiken 1-1

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 02:09 PM)
I misread, thought you had Aiken in Miami's choices

Either way, I think all this chat is deemed irrelevant by the Astros taking Aiken 1-1

I agree, I think if the Astros go Aiken I'm going to be a saaaad panda :(

I'd much rather see Kolek as an ace for the Twins than the Cubs, because I at least respect the Twins organization & their fans are smarter.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 02:08 PM)

Way too early to say he won't be a star. I try to stay out of the draft talks because I haven't seen these kids outside of highlights and scouting reports. I'm not going to sit here and bs about a player I know little about. I've read reports that say he has a high enough ceiling to justify his position though.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 08:08 PM)

Ridiculous post.

Who says? You are supposed to draft guys that are going to help your team, Nola could help the team by the end of the season taking the Sale path to the majors. You can get low ceiling guys anytime, but you can't get guys with the floor that Nola has outside of the top 10 picks.

If you had to rate players floors and ceilings on a 100 point scale:

Aiken - 60/99

Rodon - 75/95

Nola - 80/90

Kolek - 50/95

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 01:57 PM)
No, based on your assumptions your math is correct.

60% chance he goes 1 means there is a 40% chance he does not.

50% chance he goes 2 if available means that there is a 20% chance he goes 2 and a 20% chance he slips beyond 2

50% chance he goes 3 if available means that there is a 10% chance he goes 3 and a 10% chance he slips beyond 3.

I'm not judging your assumptions one way or the other, just saying that based on your assumptions the math works out.

That's how I arrived at 10% but I believe it's lower because I don't think we are accounting for scenarios in which he is already picked (ie the assumption "if available", sox can't take him if he goes 1). Binary trees from my college classes come to mind but I might be wrong. God the draft needs to get here.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

I pretty much agree with this, I'd say more likely mid-rotation ceiling with everyone currently overvaluing his stuff and overhyping his ceiling as a "2" assuming he will be an overachiever. But IMO you never call someone a 2 unless you think he's an overachieving 3 or an underachieving ace. And since he's an overachiever calling him a 2 is a blatant admission that his stuff is capped around a #3, and Kolek's is capped at a true ace.

I'd like a RH ace in between Sale and Q but I'm too a-scared we'll take Nola if he's there. Hoping for Rodon or Aiken to fall to us.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 02:11 PM)
I agree, I think if the Astros go Aiken I'm going to be a saaaad panda :(

I'd much rather see Kolek as an ace for the Twins than the Cubs, because I at least respect the Twins organization & their fans are smarter.

I completely disagree. The Twins are a division rival and the Cubs are not. Also, if he ends up being good for the Cubs, I would see him pitch more because he'd be on television more often locally.

That's how I arrived at 10% but I believe it's lower because I don't think we are accounting for scenarios in which he is already picked (ie the assumption "if available", sox can't take him if he goes 1). Binary trees from my college classes come to mind but I might be wrong. God the draft needs to get here.

No, you did account for scenarios where he was already picked. It's 60% he goes 1, 20% he goes 2, 10% he goes 3, and 10% he's still available at 4.

Unless there is a pick zero that I'm not aware of.

I'm sure it's been discussed A TON the last few months but I've kinda avoided all the talk because it's a discussion that I have no knowledge in, but why exactly can't Nola be a star?

Perhaps I'm blinded by his numbers but a guy who goes 12-1 with a 1.47 era and a sub 1 whip in what looks like a pretty damn good SEC sounds like a player who could be a star....

Kevin Gausman is a top 20 prospect in the MLB, in their final seasons at LSU this is how they stack up...

KG- 12-2 2.77 ERA 1.08 Whip 123 innings 135 Ks 28 Walks

AN- 12-1 1.47 ERA 0.83 Whip 116 innings 134 Ks 27 Walks

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 02:16 PM)
I pretty much agree with this, I'd say more likely mid-rotation ceiling with everyone currently overvaluing his stuff and overhyping his ceiling as a "2" assuming he will be an overachiever. But IMO you never call someone a 2 unless you think he's an overachieving 3 or an underachieving ace. And since he's an overachiever calling him a 2 is a blatant admission that his stuff is capped around a #3, and Kolek's is capped at a true ace.

I'd like a RH ace in between Sale and Q but I'm too a-scared we'll take Nola if he's there. Hoping for Rodon or Aiken to fall to us.

You probably wouldn't want Quintana either. :lol: