Sox Draft Carlos Rodon> Draft Day Discussion Thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 01:52 PM)
most ambiguous draft analysis quote:

"There's good baseball players and then there's bad ones. Somewhere in that mix is a guy the team drafted."

Makes sense. You really don't know what you're getting and you don't really know if your drafted player is capable of making the progress you need him to make in order to play in the bigs.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 01:45 PM)
Jokes.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 01:45 PM)
He's joking

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 01:49 PM)
The sarcasm detector in this thread is apparently broken.

Thought I missed something.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 01:57 PM)
Raw with upside, no problem with that pick either.

Rodon is playing hard to get. Month my ass. Negotiations will start immediately & a shot at MLB time this year is a big deal for anyone.

I forget who, but a poster last night said the Sox already had their lawyers on it.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 01:19 PM)
Draft grades:

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2014/6/6/57863...014-first-round

Chicago White Sox

MLB DRAFT

2014 MLB Draft live draft tracker

Here's the best left-hander ever selected third overall: Steve Avery. The second best is Brian Anderson, and I'm not even sure which one. Eighteen percent of the #3 picks never made the majors at all; 47 percent of #3 picks have a career WAR under 1. Yet the White Sox are going to pay close to $5.7 million for Rodon.

It's like these teams are pretending the history of these picks doesn't exist. Horrible pick.

Best-case scenario: Randy Johnson

Middle-case scenario: Jeremy Affeldt

Worst-case scenario: Brien Taylor

Grade: F

F really? WTF were we supposed to pick? BPA you stupid f***ing mouth breathing Neanderthals.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 07:04 PM)
Thought I missed something.

I forget who, but a poster last night said the Sox already had their lawyers on it.

It was Rock, so the exact poster you'd want to have made that claim ( or bucket, as well)

So these are the players the cubs saved their money for:

Jacob Steele

6'1" 180lbs DOB: 07/11/95 | Scouting video

Not since 1999, when the Braves took Matt Butler in the second round, has a Mississippi high school pitcher signed out of the first five rounds of the Draft. A lefty with a loose, quick arm, Steele should end that drought this June. Steele baffled scouts at the East Coast Professional Showcase last summer, when he ran his fastball into the low 90s but later dipped to the mid-80s. He has done a better job of holding his velocity this spring, working at 88-92 mph and reaching back for 94-95 on occasion. He's better when he throws with less effort in his delivery and gets more quality life on his heater. Steele's curveball used to stick out more for its shape than its velocity, but he has boosted it from the upper 60s to the low 70s as a senior. His changeup has some movement, but the Southern Mississippi recruit tips it off by slowing his arm speed and doesn't trust it much. Though he's athletic, his lack of size and true command could have him destined for the bullpen.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 01:38 PM)
Zach Thompson:

6'7" 210lbs DOB: 10/23/93

Thompson is fairly new to pitching, but already has the plus velocity that many scouts look for. Thompson’s fastball will sit in the low to mid 90s and touch 96 mph but comes in straight too often, especially when he leaves it up. He also throws a changeup, curveball and slider, and all three will need a good amount of development in pro ball to become consistent weapons. He does have decent command of his pitches and has shown a willingness to go right after hitters, which could help his stuff play up. Although raw, especially for a college arm, Thompson should intrigue teams with his frame and arm strength.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2014/drafttracker.jsp

Sounds like Danny Wright. Big kid. Live arm. Raw.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 02:09 PM)
So these are the players the cubs saved their money for:

Jacob Steele

6'1" 180lbs DOB: 07/11/95 | Scouting video

Not since 1999, when the Braves took Matt Butler in the second round, has a Mississippi high school pitcher signed out of the first five rounds of the Draft. A lefty with a loose, quick arm, Steele should end that drought this June. Steele baffled scouts at the East Coast Professional Showcase last summer, when he ran his fastball into the low 90s but later dipped to the mid-80s. He has done a better job of holding his velocity this spring, working at 88-92 mph and reaching back for 94-95 on occasion. He's better when he throws with less effort in his delivery and gets more quality life on his heater. Steele's curveball used to stick out more for its shape than its velocity, but he has boosted it from the upper 60s to the low 70s as a senior. His changeup has some movement, but the Southern Mississippi recruit tips it off by slowing his arm speed and doesn't trust it much. Though he's athletic, his lack of size and true command could have him destined for the bullpen.

I don't know what the hell they're up to. Overall I've probably been more positive about their overall plan than most but this draft for them is beyond bizarre.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 07:11 PM)
I don't know what the hell they're up to. Overall I've probably been more positive about their overall plan than most but this draft for them is beyond bizarre.

To me, they didn't like any real players at 4, so they took best bat available as a trade chip. Schwarber will probably be good, but he'll likely be a really good trade chip too (though he may eat himself into a DH position).

But the rest of the draft has been bizarre. I would have imagined a bunch of lottery tickets but this just looks like saving money on the draft this year.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 07:17 PM)
Lets hope some of these guys fall to the Sox:

Keith Weisenberg - RHP

Micheal Cantu - 1B/C/3B

JJ Schwarz - C

Bryce Montes de Oca - RHP

David Peterson - LHP

Kel Johnson - OF

I feel like 'JJ's have high MLB success.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 02:13 PM)
To me, they didn't like any real players at 4, so they took best bat available as a trade chip. Schwarber will probably be good, but he'll likely be a really good trade chip too (though he may eat himself into a DH position).

But the rest of the draft has been bizarre. I would have imagined a bunch of lottery tickets but this just looks like saving money on the draft this year.

If I were Theo I would have drafted Jeff Hoffman and sign under slot and draft best pitcher on the board for the next four rounds, giving me some much needed pitching depth.

Edited by Joshua Strong