Sox Draft Carlos Rodon> Draft Day Discussion Thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 02:33 PM)
Round 6 White Sox select CF Louie Lechich San Diego

Is it just me or is it apparent that the Sox are just drafting college players who will sign below slot, so they can have more to spend on Rodon and Adams?

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 02:36 PM)
Is it just me or is it apparent that the Sox are just drafting college players who will sign below slot, so they can have more to spend on Rodon and Adams?

Looks that way. But the OF throughout the system is pretty bare besides Hawkins, May and Thompson and that's a stretch.

Hahn spoke of a "robust" draft and picking better players at the beginning of every round. Well, that applied to the first two rounds, not so much the ones after, but that is totally okay. We need impact talent at the top of our farm, and a couple of these guys could have a nice ceiling if we can develop them.

I'm curious to know if we get aggressive at #11 or so, once all the slot bonuses are gone, and try to take someone who would benefit from pool $$$ savings should Rodon and Adams sign for below what our cap will be.

I think it's possible that Hahn is clearing himself a nice $$$ ceiling so he can let Rodon & Adams agents feel as though they've made gains and close a deal quicker rather than letting this thing play out too far with a hard cap. Don't want to work without any wiggle room.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 02:41 PM)
Rodon and Adams sign 6 weeks from today or sooner? What say you?

Rodon sooner, Adams later. That MLB bullpen stint and potential crunch time gig is going to be too much for Rodon to pass up. Sox IMO will give him more than slot, negotiate friendly, not Marlins style, try to load him up with perks and get the deal done. Sooner he's with the Sox the better. We want to make a good impression on the kid so that he, like John Danks before him, can dump that piece of s*** before arbitration time gets close. First round pick discussions are childs play in comparison to talking with Borass about a high quality arb-eligible MLB LHSP.

I'm trying to think if I was Spencer Adams if I would take the payday, spend 3 great years of my life in buses across the minor leagues, or if I would go to college with the potential of getting a 5 million payday by waiting. Tough call.

Edited by bmags