Serious Prospects from '14 Draft Class

ChiSoxJon

Our '13 draft class had serious prospects by the names of Anderson, Danish, May, Engel, Mitchell, Michalczewski, and Goldberg at least at the days immediately following the draft. 2012 offered us serious prospects like Hawkins, Barnum, Beck, DeMichele, Brennan, Basto, Hansen, Johnson, Ayala, Coats, Guerrero, and Throne. In my early opinion, these are our 2014 serious draft prospects:

A:

1. Rodon (ace potential, AS potential, fast mover)

2. Adams (future pro starter, 2/3 starter, similar to Danish potential, maybe even higher)

3. Fry (future pro starter, similar to Beck/Mitchell/Hansen potential, slightly less)

14. Montes De Oca (unlikely to sign but ace potential, slow mover)

B:

4. Brett Austin (good working with pitchers, speed, good contact, may transition to OF, previously drafted 54 overall)

5. Zach Thompson (potential starter, big size, unused arm)

9. Brian Clark (closer stuff, good size)

10. Jake Jarvis (versatile and determined IF, highly sought after NCAA recruit however he'll sign)

11. Zach Fish (good speed and contact)

Highest Potential: Rodon (All-Star ace)

Biggest Steal: Montes De Oca (unlikely to sign), Jake Jarvis

Power: Ryan Jones, Zach Fish

Speed: John Ziznewski

Baserunner: Ziznewski, Gross, Moore

Glove: Jarvis

Eyes: Austin

Tools: Jarvis, Fish, Ziznewski

Fastball: Rodon, Adams, Montes De Oca

Change-up: Montes De Oca, Choplick

Curve: Cooper

Sinker: Montes De Oca

Slider: Rodon

Most interesting delivery: Brewster (wanna see video, sounds insane)

Earliest ETA: Rodon (14 in Pen, 15 in rotation)

Biggest Project: Montes De Oca

My Favorite Pick: Rodon

My Favorite Prospect: Brewster, Montes De Oca, Rodon, Adams, Jarvis

My Favorite Position Player: Jarvis, Fish

Can't wait to see what this kids can do and who signs, I bet we sign most except for the late HSers. Montes De Oca is a really interesting case and can't wait to see how that plays out. I also think Jarvis signs and signs fairly quickly.

Finally,

How I would have drafted disregarding the slots:

1. Rodon

2. Adams

3. Fry/ DeCarr/ Greiner/ Cosart

4. Montgomery

5. Jake Reed

7. Joey Pankake (wanted him badly, unbelievable talent offensively and glove, Hahn will regret this)

8. Jeff Gardner

9. Wetzler 9if possible)

10. Jarvis

Edited by knightni

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 8, 2014 -> 12:36 PM)
Curious as to how you ranked Montes de Oca as the best changeup, from what I read he has a plus fastball, a curve that could be plus, and he has rarely used the change.

Drops significantly down to 87, doesn't use it much but he does feature it, has great 11-5 curve too and powerful fastball, I really hope we can sign him but I doubt it, should be an interesting case

I think Adams has higher potential than Danish without a doubt. We have no idea how these groundouts numbers will translate for Danish. Adams stuff is much more traditional and has a great frame to fill out.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 8, 2014 -> 12:50 PM)
I think Adams has higher potential than Danish without a doubt. We have no idea how these groundouts numbers will translate for Danish. Adams stuff is much more traditional and has a great frame to fill out.

Yeah I agree, regardless of stuff I remember being shocked when we drafted Danish last year as he wasn't ranked anywhere in the Top 100 prospects. Then I saw how dominate he was in FL HS and how good he is now and became a big fan. Adams was a potential first rounder so I'll say he has a higher ceiling than Danish

Wow, didn't realize Keith Law had Bryce Montes de Oca #32 overall on his big board. If we somehow find a way to sign him that would be a huge, huge win.

Also, I don't see Jake Jarvis on BA's top 500? Am I missing something? I thought he was highly regarded?

Are we all guessing that Montes De Oca will be something we won't know until we see Adams and Rodon in the fold?

From what I've seen people think it will take 7 figures. I can't imagine we can generate that much with Rodon and Adams going over slot.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 12:32 PM)
Are we all guessing that Montes De Oca will be something we won't know until we see Adams and Rodon in the fold?

From what I've seen people think it will take 7 figures. I can't imagine we can generate that much with Rodon and Adams going over slot.

At the very least. He could be a last day signing for sure.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 12:43 PM)
University of Missouri is also an incredible school. Once in a lifetime shot there. Nobody could turn that down.

LOL. In all seriousness, if the Sox scrape together half a million dollars, plus a full ride, it will be interesting to see what he does.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 01:14 PM)
I don't know how anyone could turn that down.

Not many scouts would of batted an eye if he was selected in the 2nd round and those slot values ranged from 1 to 1.5 million. And that's him coming off of TJ surgery, if he preforms well in college he could be top 10 pick in the 2017 draft.

It might be half a million dollars now, but it could be 2-4 million dollars in a couple years and the fun and excitement of college.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 12:56 PM)
LOL. In all seriousness, if the Sox scrape together half a million dollars, plus a full ride, it will be interesting to see what he does.

If we come in exactly at slot for the first 10 picks and are willing to pay the tax the Sox can offer him about $590,000 which would put him at about the middle of the third round in terms of bonus. That will be really tough for a guy who has already had Tommy John once to turn down. He would basically be having to bet that he actually stays healthy for the next 3 years and that he pitches well enough to get taken in the first two rounds.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 01:22 PM)
Not many scouts would of batted an eye if he was selected in the 2nd round and those slot values ranged from 1 to 1.5 million. And that's him coming off of TJ surgery, if he preforms well in college he could be top 10 pick in the 2017 draft.

It might be half a million dollars now, but it could be 2-4 million dollars in a couple years and the fun and excitement of college.

One more arm injury and he could also be looking at a signing bonus of about $5,000.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 01:24 PM)
If we come in exactly at slot for the first 10 picks and are willing to pay the tax the Sox can offer him about $590,000 which would put him at about the middle of the third round in terms of bonus. That will be really tough for a guy who has already had Tommy John once to turn down. He would basically be having to bet that he actually stays healthy for the next 3 years and that he pitches well enough to get taken in the first two rounds.

IIRC, it is more like $475k It is 5% of $9.5 million.

So, if sox can scrape below slot for 10 rounds and offer him 575k plus a full ride, what does that mean for a prospect?

Is he going to college during his minor league career? is it like military where he can utilize 4 years of a state school education at any point?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 01:26 PM)
IIRC, it is more like $475k It is 5% of $9.5 million.

I thought I saw we had $9.8 but didn't check it myself. In that case we could offer him about $575,000 since the first $100,000 doesn't count against the pool. That $15k probably wouldn't change much either way. If the Sox are below slot at all after signing the first 10 picks they are going to be able to put together a package that is very tough for Montes to pass up on. Now with having to sign Rodon and Adams that probably isn't likely but you never know.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 01:24 PM)

I bet we have to go overslot with Rodon and Adams, but we can go way underslot with a lot of the seniors they drafted too. If they could get three potential frontline SP pitching prospects signed (Rodon, Adams, Montes de Oca) gotta be happy.