Serious Prospects from '14 Draft Class

ChiSoxJon

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 01:30 PM)
I bet we have to go overslot with Rodon and Adams, but we can go way underslot with a lot of the seniors they drafted too. If they could get three potential frontline SP pitching prospects signed (Rodon, Adams, Montes de Oca) gotta be happy.

I am guessing we either break even, or come out a very small amount ahead on our top 10.

bmags, danman and I win regardless of what Bryce does...but come on man, you've had TJ surgery and Mizzou's baseball team was so bad last year that we got an apology from a staff member for having to cover such a bad team.

I'm with SS, if Sox can pull together a number like 590k plus a full ride scholarship, you're crazy to turn that down coming off TJ.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 01:26 PM)
One more arm injury and he could also be looking at a signing bonus of about $5,000.

I agree with you, but it may not be what he's thinking or what people are whispering into his ear.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 07:45 PM)
bmags, danman and I win regardless of what Bryce does...but come on man, you've had TJ surgery and Mizzou's baseball team was so bad last year that we got an apology from a staff member for having to cover such a bad team.

I'm with SS, if Sox can pull together a number like 590k plus a full ride scholarship, you're crazy to turn that down coming off TJ.

Don't get me wrong, I don't understand how the #33 overall draft prospect chose Mizzou, but Mizzou has done a very good job getting pitchers to the bigs.

But, the difference between 500k and 2,000,000 isn't trivial. That is the amount where the gamble becomes harder. I'm surprised someone with TJ isn't gonna give it a go, but the fact that he went 13 and not 11 seems like he is confident in this risk.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 01:48 PM)
I agree with you, but it may not be what he's thinking or what people are whispering into his ear.

It isn't an easy decision, but he would both have to stay healthy and be really really good at Missouri for staying in school to be worth it.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 02:04 PM)
It isn't an easy decision, but he would both have to stay healthy and be really really good at Missouri for staying in school to be worth it.

And turn down the best team in baseball at preventing TJ surgeries.

Same question I asked in the draft thread: if the White Sox were genuinely confident of getting him signed, why not take him in the 11th round instead of the 14th? Seems to me it's more of a "well we'll take him here in the unlikely event we have enough to turn his head", rather than a genuine plan with a good chance of success.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 02:14 PM)
Same question I asked in the draft thread: if the White Sox were genuinely confident of getting him signed, why not take him in the 11th round instead of the 14th? Seems to me it's more of a "well we'll take him here in the unlikely event we have enough to turn his head", rather than a genuine plan with a good chance of success.

After the first ten rounds it really doesn't matter where you select someone because you aren't penalized for failing to sign them. In the 11th round there was only like 4-5 college kids selected. Not sure why Montes De Oca kept falling, guess people thought he was really unsignable and didn't want to waste a pick.

I'm guessing the Sox grabbed college players (rounds 11-13) they were high on that others were passing on because they were going for high schoolers. After that, they decided to take a flier on him and see how the chips fall. It might pay off big time.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 02:29 PM)
After the first ten rounds it really doesn't matter where you select someone because you aren't penalized for failing to sign them. In the 11th round there was only like 4-5 college kids selected. Not sure why Montes De Oca kept falling, guess people thought he was really unsignable and didn't want to waste a pick.

I'm guessing the Sox grabbed college players (rounds 11-13) they were high on that others were passing on because they were going for high schoolers. After that, they decided to take a flier on him and see how the chips fall. It might pay off big time.

I know that, I was more referring to the fact that they would have been risking losing him from 11-13.

I am guessing that means they had guys on the board they wanted to make sure that they got into the fold before they went to their lottery tickets.

More I read on him, the more I want him.

Every pitcher is different, but that we were able to turn around Montas' wildness really excites me to get raw, huge arms like this kid. Even if he ends up with nothing but a big fastball, a big 6'8 kid pounding the zone is at least a reliever.

They probably didn't know exactly how much they were going to have to play with. Without knowing what Rodon and Adams were going to sign for you really have no idea what you will be able to offer Montes and getting those guys in the fold is clearly the priority.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

I know that, I was more referring to the fact that they would have been risking losing him from 11-13.

Yes, but they probably had a few guys in the same boat who were HS guys they really liked but weren't likely to sign. At least one of them will still be there in Round 14. Rounds 11-13 are still good spots to find talent that you can sign. By Round 14 you aren't sacrificing as much to take him.

If we can sign de Oca great, but reading on him going into the second day, I really didn't want him at all & there were a bunch of other players out there I'd have rather had. My immediate thoughts were Joba Chamberlain best case, which really isn't anything super exciting even though quality SU guys are great to have. I'm not going to care much if we don't sign this guy but if we do, maybe he's at least trade bait. Just seems like a guy who has about 90% bust potential or better and even if it works out then he's just a reliever. But hey, if he'll take $500K or whatever we can muster up, go for it. Maybe he moves quick & hits the AA level sometime next season.

How recent is his TJ surgery? I'm curious as to the difference (if any) between undergoing rehab with a pro team rather than a college.

EDIT: Saw he had surgery in Spring 2013, so that probably wouldn't be a factor anymore.

Edited by farmteam

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 07:29 PM)
So, if sox can scrape below slot for 10 rounds and offer him 575k plus a full ride, what does that mean for a prospect?

Is he going to college during his minor league career? is it like military where he can utilize 4 years of a state school education at any point?

I am hoping we sign him and I think it going to take a little more that 575k.

with ref to rodon, I thinking borAss will want more than what the fist pick aiken got, for rodon. this may be a

hard sign.

fyi time to eat crow..... I would NEVER have thought sox will willing chose a borAss client. on well I was wrong.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 01:22 PM)
Not many scouts would of batted an eye if he was selected in the 2nd round and those slot values ranged from 1 to 1.5 million. And that's him coming off of TJ surgery, if he preforms well in college he could be top 10 pick in the 2017 draft.

It might be half a million dollars now, but it could be 2-4 million dollars in a couple years and the fun and excitement of college.

Then why wasn't he drafted in the 3rd or 4th round?

And if it's because he wasn't considered signable, then I think it's clear we'd have to offer > than 3rd round money to get him.

Callis said he believe he was looking for a 7-figure bonus

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 04:23 PM)
Then why wasn't he drafted in the 3rd or 4th round?

And if it's because he wasn't considered signable, then I think it's clear we'd have to offer > than 3rd round money to get him.

Because teams either didn't rate him as highly as his bonus demands or they weren't sure enough that he was going to sign to risk losing the slot money for that pick

Edited by Feeky Magee

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 12:58 AM)
Callis said he believe he was looking for a 7-figure bonus

Because teams either didn't rate him as highly as his bonus demands or they weren't sure enough that he was going to sign to risk losing the slot money for that pick

if you are talking about bryce de Oca, shoulder surgery, rehab, question marks on starter or closer.

too many question marks and not enuf time to figure it out. the other was he posturing on getting

late 1 round slot money or early 2 round. those are my ideas, no inside info on my part.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 04:31 PM)
If we can sign de Oca great, but reading on him going into the second day, I really didn't want him at all & there were a bunch of other players out there I'd have rather had. My immediate thoughts were Joba Chamberlain best case, which really isn't anything super exciting even though quality SU guys are great to have. I'm not going to care much if we don't sign this guy but if we do, maybe he's at least trade bait. Just seems like a guy who has about 90% bust potential or better and even if it works out then he's just a reliever. But hey, if he'll take $500K or whatever we can muster up, go for it. Maybe he moves quick & hits the AA level sometime next season.

Joba actually was something very special until the NYY organization and the NY setting ruined his career

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 09:58 PM)
Joba actually was something very special until the NYY organization and the NY setting ruined his career

if Bryce doesn't pan out as a starter and we do sign him..... then we have another closer and a young one

at that.