WHITE SOX WINNER!!

GGajewski18

Lots of excuses and a bit of disrespect from Porcello...

“Our guys did a heck of a job tonight battling and swinging the bats well, especially after a tough travel day that they had last night,” Porcello said. “I tip my hat to them. I just didn’t hold up my end of the bargain.”

Porcello allowed nine hits and six runs (five earned) over five-plus innings with four strikeouts. Of the nine hits he allowed, five were for extra-base hits (three doubles, a triple and a home run).

“Not to disrespect anything that they did tonight and take away how well they swung the bats, but from my side of it, I didn’t do a good job of making pitches,” Porcello said. “That’s what it comes down to.”

He did take responsibility for one mistake.

“That was a play where I just didn’t think and airmailed it,” Porcello said of his throwing error. “That was a stupid play and I deserved to come out of the game after that.”

Porcello said it was a desperation throw. On a night when he didn’t have his best stuff, he tried to do a little too much.

“There’s nothing you can do when a guy lays down a perfect bunt,” he said. “I, for whatever reason, thought I was going to do something about it and didn’t have the chance.”

“We came back and got in the game and had the tying run at third there,” said Tigers manager Brad Ausmus. “That was a bright spot.”

http://www.freep.com/article/20140610/SPOR...icago-white-sox

There are some parallels to those Red Wings and the current Detroit Tigers. Like the Wings, the Tigers have star players and championship aspirations, but they have struggled at times.

The Tigers have endured a particularly painful stretch since ascending to the best record in baseball at 27-12 back on May 18. It has been a breakdown on all fronts. The starting pitching has struggled, particularly Justin Verlander and Max Scherzer. The defense has been terrible. The bullpen has been, well, about how we expected it to be: awful. Joe Nathan looks 100 years old. And, aside from Ian Kinsler, Miguel Cabrera and Victor Martinez, no one is getting on base consistently.

This is when the Tigers need a Steve Yzerman-like leader, who will stand up and say, “Look guys, we’ve been playing terrible lately. We HAVE to play better, and we KNOW we can play better.”

When I look at the Tigers’ roster, I don’t see a natural leader. Miggy is the best player on the team, so some may look to him for guidance. But he seems more focused on his own play than others. Just because someone is a star doesn’t necessarily mean he is a leader, but that also means that the mantle of leadership needs to be picked up by someone else.

So, who else? Torii Hunter is a veteran and has seen it all during his playing days, but he strikes me as the team’s comic relief. Torii is the guy who would crack a joke to break the tension after losing five games in a row, but he would not stand up and call out the team.

Two pitchers with Cy Young awards — Verlander and Scherzer — have leadership qualities, but it’s tough for a guy who plays only once every five games to stand up and say, “We sucked tonight.” Also, Verlander appears to be going through personal issues trying to recapture his form, and Scherzer, who has also been struggling, likely has contract issues in the back of his mind.

Kinsler can’t be counted as a leader, after his comments prior to the season. When asked to lead players after veteran Michael Young left the Texas Rangers, Kinsler was apprehensive.

“I was bogged down,” Kinsler told ESPN: The Magazine in March. “They wanted me to lead these young players, teach them the way to compete, when the only thing I should be worried about is how I’m performing in the game.”

Even Brad Ausmus seems to be taking a more hands-off approach to the team. During the depths of the team’s recent slump, the manager addressed the players, but they continued to lose. I feel as if Ausmus, a rookie manager, doesn’t want to press his players, to push them, because he has come to a team that has been to the ALCS three straight times, and he doesn’t want to mess with that success.

The Detroit Tigers are built to win now. Several players will not be back next season, and as each season goes by — and the team gets a little older — that championship window closes a little more.

As the team continues to struggle, someone needs to stand up and speak up to right the ship and try to motivate the Tigers to play like we all know they can.

http://www.freep.com/article/20140610/SPORTS02/306100050/

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 02:33 AM)
Lots of excuses and a bit of disrespect from Porcello...

“Our guys did a heck of a job tonight battling and swinging the bats well, especially after a tough travel day that they had last night,” Porcello said. “I tip my hat to them. I just didn’t hold up my end of the bargain.”

Porcello allowed nine hits and six runs (five earned) over five-plus innings with four strikeouts. Of the nine hits he allowed, five were for extra-base hits (three doubles, a triple and a home run).

“Not to disrespect anything that they did tonight and take away how well they swung the bats, but from my side of it, I didn’t do a good job of making pitches,” Porcello said. “That’s what it comes down to.”

He did take responsibility for one mistake.

“That was a play where I just didn’t think and airmailed it,” Porcello said of his throwing error. “That was a stupid play and I deserved to come out of the game after that.”

Porcello said it was a desperation throw. On a night when he didn’t have his best stuff, he tried to do a little too much.

“There’s nothing you can do when a guy lays down a perfect bunt,” he said. “I, for whatever reason, thought I was going to do something about it and didn’t have the chance.”

“We came back and got in the game and had the tying run at third there,” said Tigers manager Brad Ausmus. “That was a bright spot.”

http://www.freep.com/article/20140610/SPOR...icago-white-sox

Watch Martinez's slowest home run trot ever? They dont respect the Sox at all, they think they are the baddest team around.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 09:06 AM)
Watch Martinez's slowest home run trot ever? They dont respect the Sox at all, they think they are the baddest team around.

As 3-time defending division champions currently in first place, I wouldn't expect any less from them until another team actually beats them.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 03:06 PM)

the yr of the sox was given the slogan of winning ugly, if you look at it, it is a cocky

statement to the visting team.

No matter what and the lead we will come back and win. it aint't pretty but it is a win

so the cockiness is there, how many yrs they took first in the central.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 08:06 AM)

These f***ing Tigers have been cocky for the past few years. Miggy and his bulls*** you can't see me. Al and his kissing the ball. f*** that choke artist of a team

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 08:43 AM)
Yeah, I've only got Vmart at 29.06 seconds. Still looked slow as hell. You can just tell these guys dont think much of us, so I hope we put a little frustration in their game.

Good I hope we f*** them up