High School Shooting in Oregon

Texsox

A gunman who opened fire at an Oregon high school early Tuesday was a student at the school, multiple law enforcement officials tell CNN.

The shooter appears to have died from a self-inflicted wound, the sources said.

A teacher at Reynolds High School in Troutdale, east of Portland, suffered non-life-threatening injuries.

Get complete coverage of breaking news on CNN TV, CNN.com and CNN Mobile.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 09:36 PM)
Sorry, not enough people died, not newsworthy

I haven't even gotten around to reading why this killer did what he/she did. Probably some self absorbed asshole deciding to make a name for himself/herself.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
I haven't even gotten around to reading why this killer did what he/she did. Probably some self absorbed asshole deciding to make a name for himself/herself.

well he was a 15 year old kid, so i am sure there is a lot of things that were going on in his head

I'm starting to like Obama more following some of his recent comments about these shootings. If he keeps this up, I will be a huge Obama fan.

His today:

"Our levels of gun violence are off the charts. There's no advanced, developed country on Earth that would put up with this," he said.

He said there will be no changes til the public pressures Congress. Until those government assholes are willing to pass legislation re. violence in the USA we're stuck with it and everybody just prays that their relatives will not be the ones killed. Oops I said 'prays' which I know will offend many.

Edited by greg775

I'd like for someone to think of a way to get guns off the street (and by street, I mean the multitude of guns sitting in random people's houses) that doesn't involve government seizure. Not so much because I'm against that happening, but because if we can think of a way to manage the former it might actually happen.

We have more guns than human beings owned by civilians in the USA. This is a problem. I'm all for the "common sense" regulation - it won't work wonders for the general gun violence issue, but it will deter the mass shootings that have such a dramatic societal cost. Still, though, we can't do anything meaningful without getting some of these guns to go away. They don't just deteriorate, they're pretty much good to go no matter how little they are used.

I am hesitant to post articles from sources known to be partisan to either side, but I think this one does make some good points.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/38010...arles-c-w-cooke

Everytown identifies a school shooting as any instance in which a firearm was discharged within a school building or on school grounds, sourced to multiple news reports per incident. Therefore, the data isn’t limited to mass shootings like Newtown—it includes assaults, homicides, suicides and even accidental shootings.

Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nation’s population grew. The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearm—assaults, robberies and sex crimes—was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993. Violent non-fatal crime victimization overall (with or without a firearm) also is down markedly (72%) over two decades.

• 3 weeks later...