Garfein: Sox could trade Beckham for pitching

southsider2k5

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 01:27 PM)
In your opinion, does Beckham actually have enough value to other teams to get back a piece that can contribute to the Sox?

Depends on what you consider contributing. I think he could be a piece to get a rotation arm, or could draw a bullpen guy on his own.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 12:46 PM)
I would certainly take Joakim Soria for him, yes I would.

Do you think we could get the Phillie Phanatic? Imagine how zany it would be if BOTH of them were wiggling their arms behind the plate during each game!

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 01:48 PM)
Do you think we could get the Phillie Phanatic? Imagine how zany it would be if BOTH of them were wiggling their arms behind the plate during each game!

That doesn't seem like a championship amount of TWTW. They need to revive the San Diego Chicken and bring him to Chicago. That's a championship caliber club right there.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 01:48 PM)
So would I, but Soria isn't a middle reliever.

Sure he is, if you used him in the 7th inning. And he certainly was last year. Either way, he's a reliever.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 12:53 PM)
That doesn't seem like a championship amount of TWTW. They need to revive the San Diego Chicken and bring him to Chicago. That's a championship caliber club right there.

I feel like we could get the Chicken on a minor league deal, though.

I don't see it under this regime. This isn't apples and apples, but we could have traded PHumber at max value. Since we were contending it wasn't an option. Since we are contending this year in a s*** league, I doubt this same regime would trade one of our more productive players mid season. The only reason we MIGHT, IMO, is because the stables are full of MI that need to play. But almost every team has a pretty good shot at the playoffs.

Has KW ever made a trade like that when we are competing?

I thought it was understood when Beckham came back, esp when his hitting improved, he may

be shopped. with all the MI we have, someone or more may be moved. I was liked Beckham.

but with him or a package, we can get players / prospects. I trust Hahn to do his homework and

get the best we can for him.

this I would like to see and what we get for him.

hello Tor, hello Bos

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 08:01 PM)
I don't see it under this regime. This isn't apples and apples, but we could have traded PHumber at max value. Since we were contending it wasn't an option. Since we are contending this year in a s*** league, I doubt this same regime would trade one of our more productive players mid season. The only reason we MIGHT, IMO, is because the stables are full of MI that need to play. But almost every team has a pretty good shot at the playoffs.

Has KW ever made a trade like that when we are competing?

during that time, KW was not in full rebuild mode.

As long as the Sox remain in this holding pattern a few games out of the WC and division leads, I don't see any big trades going down. I don't think they are are willing to trade top prospects for rentals, or even if they have the top prospects to do that. I don't think they are willing to sell off guys who have the potential to contribute next year or beyond. I think a Dunn deal is the only deal done.

I know I'm in the minority, but might we want to see if this resurgence is real, considering that Steverson seems to be getting through to a few guys that others haven't?

Or have they returned to their old habits enough that we don't like Steverson anymore either? :)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 08:34 PM)
I know I'm in the minority, but might we want to see if this resurgence is real, considering that Steverson seems to be getting through to a few guys that others haven't?

Or have they returned to their old habits enough that we don't like Steverson anymore either? :)

that is a really good point, how much of the hitting success esp with Viciedo and others goes to

Stevenson.

Even if Gordon has improved, he's about to get expensive and then we lose control the year after that. Even if he has turned a corner, it makes all kinds of sense to cut ties with him.

Put me on the record - if we sell high on Gordon and he turns into a perennial all-star, I don't care. We've seen too much bad for this to make sense. There is little incentive to keep him considering how pricey he gets next year in his final year of arb...and if he becomes worth that high price tag, then we have to pay him an assload as a FA to keep him around. I'll let him prove himself for somebody else and we can always think about signing him as a FA.

For now, we have Semien, Johnson, Sanchez, and Saladino that could all contribute at that position. Hell, I'm still on the "teach Conor Gillaspie 2B" bandwagon.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 05:26 PM)
Even if Gordon has improved, he's about to get expensive and then we lose control the year after that. Even if he has turned a corner, it makes all kinds of sense to cut ties with him.

Put me on the record - if we sell high on Gordon and he turns into a perennial all-star, I don't care. We've seen too much bad for this to make sense. There is little incentive to keep him considering how pricey he gets next year in his final year of arb...and if he becomes worth that high price tag, then we have to pay him an assload as a FA to keep him around. I'll let him prove himself for somebody else and we can always think about signing him as a FA.

For now, we have Semien, Johnson, Sanchez, and Saladino that could all contribute at that position. Hell, I'm still on the "teach Conor Gillaspie 2B" bandwagon.

I can get behind most of this.

Not really on the Gillespie 2B wagon, but can't hurt to try right?

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 02:21 PM)
during that time, KW was not in full rebuild mode.

I don't think he is now either. We are pretty good; teams can't just beat our ass anymore like last year. I like KW's retooling so far but it just so happens we ARE in contention. And since chances to win are so precious as they say, I don't see GB being traded. He's looking like the perfect bridge between Eaton and #3. I love our 1-4