Garfein: Sox could trade Beckham for pitching

southsider2k5

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 04:47 PM)
Giants got a guy named Joe Panik in AAA who is currently hitting .322/.381/.422, former 1st round pick. So they might not be an option either.

An Iso of .100 in the PCL is not particularly good, especially with a .322 average. For reference's sake, he put up .257/.333/.347/.680 last year in AA.

The Giants have such a big lead right now they're not going to give away much for Beckham.

Of course, the Dodgers SEEMINGLY have to make a run at some point, and the Giants need to improve all-around offensively (other than Morse, Posey, etc.), but we're not going to get anything substantial back from Sabean.

The thing is that other teams also would only have him for one season, and historically he's been below average...so you're still in many ways holding onto Ramirez and Beckham and going for it all again in 2015 IMO.

As always, if someone bowls you over with offers for Ramirez OR someone just forces their way into the line-up (and Semien clearly failed to do so), then you can be more willing to make a trade.

But with Semien seemingly destined for utility work this season at the big league level and Micah Johnson at least 2-3 months away, a trade of Beckham the way he's going right now and with how close they are to the Tigers and WC would be surprising.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 11:11 PM)
The Giants have such a big lead right now they're not going to give away much for Beckham.

Of course, the Dodgers SEEMINGLY have to make a run at some point, and the Giants need to improve all-around offensively (other than Morse, Posey, etc.), but we're not going to get anything substantial back from Sabean.

The thing is that other teams also would only have him for one season, and historically he's been below average...so you're still in many ways holding onto Ramirez and Beckham and going for it all again in 2015 IMO.

As always, if someone bowls you over with offers for Ramirez OR someone just forces their way into the line-up (and Semien clearly failed to do so), then you can be more willing to make a trade.

But with Semien seemingly destined for utility work this season at the big league level and Micah Johnson at least 2-3 months away, a trade of Beckham the way he's going right now and with how close they are to the Tigers and WC would be surprising.

if the sox can't trade beckham b/c of the value of the return, i wouldn't cry if we still have him after the

trade deadline. my only hope would be, i hope he continues his good hitting.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 05:11 PM)

I think if we want upside out of Beckham we'll have to either get someone else's MLB-ready disappointment or else dip down into the A+ level or below.

I'm not sure the Sox "knew" what they were getting with Montas in the Peavy deal any more than they "knew" what they were getting in the 1st rounder Gilmore from the Javy Vazquez deal who never did jack squat. I think it's likely or at least very possible that both results were surprises and as a result I don't expect another Montas type who immediately jumps on to the radar, BUT if one of these teams we are dealing with has an electric young RHP on the farm who is a couple years away at best but shows signs of quality secondary stuff, and who like Montas, has a strong FB and the ability to hold his velocity deep into games, then I think we should be very interested. Not only do we need another RHSP but as a general rule I'd much rather go after pitching, pitching, pitching, pitching and then look to trade excesses of it when they develop, just because I think that's probably the best way for this organization to utilize its strengths.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 05:23 PM)
I think if we want upside out of Beckham we'll have to either get someone else's MLB-ready disappointment or else dip down into the A+ level or below.

I'm not sure the Sox "knew" what they were getting with Montas in the Peavy deal any more than they "knew" what they were getting in the 1st rounder Gilmore from the Javy Vazquez deal who never did jack squat. I think it's likely or at least very possible that both results were surprises and as a result I don't expect another Montas type who immediately jumps on to the radar, BUT if one of these teams we are dealing with has an electric young RHP on the farm who is a couple years away at best but shows signs of quality secondary stuff, and who like Montas, has a strong FB and the ability to hold his velocity deep into games, then I think we should be very interested. Not only do we need another RHSP but as a general rule I'd much rather go after pitching, pitching, pitching, pitching and then look to trade excesses of it when they develop, just because I think that's probably the best way for this organization to utilize its strengths.

Agreed. I've been agreeing with you so much lately.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 04:23 PM)

FWIW, Santos Rodriguez was highly regarded at the time of the trade as also possessing an electric arm, although even then most thought his future was as a reliever.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 07:17 PM)
Agreed. I've been agreeing with you so much lately.

:wub:

Windell1.jpg

Come on over to this side of the fence. It's nice over here. ^That guy is here. That guy is GREAT.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 12:34 AM)
FWIW, Santos Rodriguez was highly regarded at the time of the trade as also possessing an electric arm, although even then most thought his future was as a reliever.

He also supposedly could hit triple digits with the fastball. By the same token, Bartolo Colon supposedly can reach his own back in the shower. Not sure I'd bet the house on either of those things happening.