If we're competing in mid-July

ILMOU

As an optimist, thought I'd jump the gun on getting thoughts from the crew. The org has to believe we have a real chance for us to be buyers, obviously, but this Pecota -projection-style parity we're seeing could make it so.

A starting pitcher heads the list for me, but who could be had at a non-future-damaging price that could actually help? OR who could be had that would also be controllable thru 2015 at a minimum?

A LH RP to relieve Downs' high-leverage load would sure be nice. Rex Brothers will never be cheaper and I'd like to see his talented arm under Coop's wing. He needs fixing, but he's been really good in the past. Who else might we like?

A LH OF who isn't De Aza is a need now and going forward, imo, and this is perhaps the primary reason I'm starting this thread. Due to relative low cost for possible high return, I'd like to target FA-to-be Seth Smith. He's having a salary drive kind of career year, but 930 OPS in Petco isn't sneezeworthy, and his level of power is bound to play up at the Cell. He's a platoon guy, but as previously discussed, that will put him in upwards of 80% of our divisional games. He also might be the best offseason option (especially if we go big on a SP) for a 3-4 (3 would be my limit, preferably) year deal, and we'll have a head-start and better intel on that possibility if he were brought in in July. He's NOT a good outfielder, but the #'s say he's semi-passable in LF these days, which could also allow DH flexibility/more left-handedness. He's always struck me as a professional hitter - maybe he's turning a corner in his career, the OBP has always generally been very solid. I'd really like to hear the opinions of oldsox (and re: Brothers too) and anyone who's seen him a lot in OAK or SD more recently. He may be a potential bargain, all tucked away down there with little publicity. What would it take? What say you, Soxtalk?

Also, due to the MI potential in our system, I'm in the trade-Beckham-if-you-get-a-really-good-offer-even-if-we-ARE-competing camp. Who's with me?

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 08:59 PM)
As an optimist, thought I'd jump the gun on getting thoughts from the crew. The org has to believe we have a real chance for us to be buyers, obviously, but this Pecota -projection-style parity we're seeing could make it so.

A starting pitcher heads the list for me, but who could be had at a non-future-damaging price that could actually help? OR who could be had that would also be controllable thru 2015 at a minimum?

A LH RP to relieve Downs' high-leverage load would sure be nice. Rex Brothers will never be cheaper and I'd like to see his talented arm under Coop's wing. He needs fixing, but he's been really good in the past. Who else might we like?

A LH OF who isn't De Aza is a need now and going forward, imo, and this is perhaps the primary reason I'm starting this thread. Due to relative low cost for possible high return, I'd like to target FA-to-be Seth Smith. He's having a salary drive kind of career year, but 930 OPS in Petco isn't sneezeworthy, and his level of power is bound to play up at the Cell. He's a platoon guy, but as previously discussed, that will put him in upwards of 80% of our divisional games. He also might be the best offseason option (especially if we go big on a SP) for a 3-4 year deal, and we'll have a head-start and better intel on that possibility if he were brought in in July. He's NOT a good outfielder, but the #'s say he's semi-passable in LF these days, which could also allow DH flexibility/more left-handedness. He's always struck me as a professional hitter - maybe he's turning a corner in his career, the OBP has always generally been very solid. I'd really like to hear the opinions of oldsox (and re: Brothers too) and anyone who's seen him a lot in OAK or SD more recently. He may be a potential bargain, all tucked away down there with little publicity. What would it take? What say you, Soxtalk?

Also, due to the MI potential in our system, I'm in the trade-Beckham-if-you-get-a-really-good-offer-even-if-we-ARE-competing camp. Who's with me?

as much as I would love to be in the running, we do not have the pieces to put on the table for a trade unless

we deal some of our young prospects.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 02:02 PM)
as much as I would love to be in the running, we do not have the pieces to put on the table for a trade unless

we deal some of our young prospects.

Of course. Which ones are most expendable? Sanchez and Beck are two I could part with. Then there's Beckham, and quite possibly Tank from the big club. De Aza another throw-in.

I was thinking today that the 3 biggest positions where they need upgrades heading into next year are likely LF, C and SP. If they acquire someone this season, hopefully it's a player that has at least another year on their contract that can play one of those positions.

Honestly I don't want to see any pieces added unless they are salary dumps where the Sox are only sending B-C level talent in the deal. That or just straight waiver claims. The rotation isn't nearly strong enough to warrant going all-out for this season.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 09:26 PM)
Honestly I don't want to see any pieces added unless they are salary dumps where the Sox are only sending B-C level talent in the deal. That or just straight waiver claims. The rotation isn't nearly strong enough to warrant going all-out for this season.

That's why it would have to be moves that are designed to help the 2015, 2016, etc. White Sox as well. If you can go get a strong hitting LF that has a few years left on his deal, then by all means....trade away. One of the good things about having a mediocre farm is that there's no one you should get too upset about if they're traded.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 04:26 PM)

I could see a Freddy Garcia sort of trade where they acquire a guy either under contract or as someone they'll resign.

Domonic Brown from the Phillies has been brought up. Having a simply horrendous year, the Phillies are firmly facing the rebuilding idea in the face, so they might want to hold onto him STILL, like the Royals did with Alex Gordon.

They're going to be looking to deal guys like Utley/Rollins that have value NOW to the contenders.

But a Brown for Viciedo deal has lots of risk for both sides, which is why it would be interesting. However, dealing Viciedo simply because he's in the first big slump of the season and might be coming out of it seems foolhardy unless there's someone scouting Brown hard that has a really clear idea of what his issues are exactly compared to last season, and believes they have a quick fix and not something that would need to wait until the off-season to reconstruct.

Obviously, Dayan's hitting more doubles than homers (compared to his rookie season), but he's also walking a lot more and the homers SHOULD come with the summer months in bunches.

Trevor Cahill's another idea floating around, if they can get the DBacks to eat nearly all of his salary, and, once again, Cooper has a fix on what's causing him problems.

All depends on the money.

It would have to be those veteran pitchers that signed 1-3 year deals and whose teams are looking to cut them loose and save money, going with younger players...the Nolascos and Phil Hughes (the Twins won't deal with us, surely), Haren or Beckett (if Billingsley comes back for the Dodgers) or Maholm, Scott Feldman with the Astros, etc.

Kazmir and Tim Hudson certainly aren't going anywhere.

Cliff Lee's probably on the market again (and don't even look at his contract)...maybe anyone in the Phillies' rotation if the right offer is out there on the table (remember all the pressure Amaro's got to be feeling with the "accidental trade" rumors connected with Domingo Santana also going to the Astros?)

Clay Buchholz?

The always rumored but probably no pitching coach in the world can fix Edinson Volquez.

Because Hanson and Paulino certainly haven't worked out...albeit very low-risk maneuvers.

Edited by caulfield12