Priest killed

greg775

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greg, It's not the worst summer for deaths.

It's like it has been said in in other threads: these just aren't happening in the inner-city. They're happening in places where affluent white people live, so more coverage and with it comes the illusion of more violence.

USA: You realize we're a lost cause, right? Not just our soccer team. They're gonna lie down like Obi Wan this month. I'm talking about the whole country. I'm talking about the IDEA of America. It's hopeless. That whole thing about being a shining beacon of freedom to the rest of the world? GONE. Never coming back. You don't live in a free country. You live in a paranoid surveillance state oligarchy where people gun each other down in broad daylight completely at random.

And you know something? It's never going to get better. Ever. The violence will escalate. Income inequality will widen. Twenty years from now, there will be one trillionaire (Donald Sterling) and 350 million people working as his personal wage slaves. Local infrastructure will deteriorate. People will forsake work and the duties of citizenship in favor of fighting unwinnable flame wars—digital arguments that increasingly have NOTHING TO DO with how people actually deal with one another in real life. Good ideas will be discarded because they're too expensive or because some dips*** company already has a vague patent on it and will do nothing with it but sue forever. Your house will be swept away in a Category 12 Nor'Eastercane.

It's OK to admit that it's over. Go ahead. Say it to yourself: America is no longer worth the effort. Feels good, doesn't it? Feels freeing. Finally, we can stop HOPING. We can be adults about this and accept the fact that AMERICA WILL DIE. And the worst part is that your cable bill will, like, double when it happens.

http://screamer.deadspin.com/the-hater-s-g...-cup-1588867715

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 08:03 AM)
USA: You realize we're a lost cause, right? Not just our soccer team. They're gonna lie down like Obi Wan this month. I'm talking about the whole country. I'm talking about the IDEA of America. It's hopeless. That whole thing about being a shining beacon of freedom to the rest of the world? GONE. Never coming back. You don't live in a free country. You live in a paranoid surveillance state oligarchy where people gun each other down in broad daylight completely at random.

And you know something? It's never going to get better. Ever. The violence will escalate. Income inequality will widen. Twenty years from now, there will be one trillionaire (Donald Sterling) and 350 million people working as his personal wage slaves. Local infrastructure will deteriorate. People will forsake work and the duties of citizenship in favor of fighting unwinnable flame wars—digital arguments that increasingly have NOTHING TO DO with how people actually deal with one another in real life. Good ideas will be discarded because they're too expensive or because some dips*** company already has a vague patent on it and will do nothing with it but sue forever. Your house will be swept away in a Category 12 Nor'Eastercane.

It's OK to admit that it's over. Go ahead. Say it to yourself: America is no longer worth the effort. Feels good, doesn't it? Feels freeing. Finally, we can stop HOPING. We can be adults about this and accept the fact that AMERICA WILL DIE. And the worst part is that your cable bill will, like, double when it happens.

Never thought I'd see Drew Magary quoted in the Filibuster

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 07:26 AM)
I love Magary, but he and Greg and others like them need to gain some historical perspective. The US has been in worse shape in the past. MUCH worse.

The new Picketty "Capital in the 21st Century" tome would agree wholeheartedly with this...

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 08:26 AM)
I love Magary, but he and Greg and others like them need to gain some historical perspective. The US has been in worse shape in the past. MUCH worse.

It's Magary, of course he's being over the top. Did not read the other 31 countries' descriptions? That was the entire point of the article.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 08:50 AM)
It's Magary, of course he's being over the top. Did not read the other 31 countries' descriptions? That was the entire point of the article.

Eh, sorta. He's obviously being a little over the top with it, but I read all of his stuff and he's made mention of this before.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 08:26 AM)

Just throwing this out there: does this mean it can't be better?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 08:03 AM)

Mr. Madison, what you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Seriously we are all dumber now.

So here is my rant.

Do people not realize that in a free society bad things are going to happen? That the whole entire point of freedom is giving people the choice to make good or bad decisions. That is what being part of a free country is. So even if I think I am right, that I have the best answers, everyone else in America is free to disagree.

I hate f***ing defeatists and their mindless followers.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 11:01 AM)
So here is my rant.

Do people not realize that in a free society bad things are going to happen? That the whole entire point of freedom is giving people the choice to make good or bad decisions. That is what being part of a free country is. So even if I think I am right, that I have the best answers, everyone else in America is free to disagree.

While I do think there are problems here, this is the best statement about the USA.

With freedom comes problems. The more control anyone including the government has over your life, the less freedom you have.

People have the freedom to be violent and morons. I don't like it, but they are free to choose.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 11:01 AM)
So here is my rant.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 04:01 PM)
So here is my rant.

That deadspin article was great. I know it was a joke but it makes you think. Right now America is like Gordon Beckham of last season. Or DeAza of this season. Really very very very little about it makes you think anything positive is going on.

Horrific leadership in government. Horrific economy. Terrible crime rate of American nutjobs killing innocent Americans, making us look very bad internationally and nationally, and pretty much nobody caring about doing anything about it. A Godless loud minority effectively silencing those who believe, pretty much making believers shut up when they would like to talk about morals and values and pleasing the higher power. Horrific business leaders who have set the trend of laying off hordes of people just so they can staff unpaid interns and/or parttimers who get no benefits. Horrible healthcare system that even s***s on the U.S. veterans.

Right now the USA is trending down down down.

Can the USA pick it up as Beckham has and start inching upward?

Good luck to us all. Hillary's not going to lead the change parade to greatness as she fulfills her destiny of being awarded the presidency which people feel is owed her for some reason. Obama has jumped the shark in that regard in that he's thrown up his hands against the assholes in congress.

God bless us all as we try to prove the odds wrong and pull a Beckham like recovery out of nowhere.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 02:04 PM)
That deadspin article was great. I know it was a joke but it makes you think. Right now America is like Gordon Beckham of last season. Or DeAza of this season. Really very very very little about it makes you think anything positive is going on.

Horrific leadership in government. Horrific economy. Terrible crime rate of American nutjobs killing innocent Americans, making us look very bad internationally and nationally, and pretty much nobody caring about doing anything about it. A Godless loud minority effectively silencing those who believe, pretty much making believers shut up when they talk about morals and values and pleasing the higher power. Horrific business leaders who have set the trend of laying off hordes of people just so they can staff unpaid interns and/or parttimers who get no benefits. Horrible healthcare system that even s***s on the U.S. veterans.

Can the USA pivk it up as Beckham has and start inching upward?

Good luck to us all. Hillary's not going to lead the change parade to greatness as she fulfills her destiny of being awarded the presidency which people feel is owed her for some reason. Obama has jumped the shark in that regard in that he's thrown up his hands against the assholes in congress,

God bless us all as we try to prove the odds wrong and pull a Beckham like recovery out of nowhere.

Sigh. Greg, turn off Fox News for a minute and come to the realization that Christianity is still very much alive in the United States.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 05:41 AM)
Greg, It's not the worst summer for deaths.

It's like it has been said in in other threads: these just aren't happening in the inner-city. They're happening in places where affluent white people live, so more coverage and with it comes the illusion of more violence.

Greg has never been one to let facts influence his opinion.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 09:11 AM)
While I do think there are problems here, this is the best statement about the USA.

With freedom comes problems. The more control anyone including the government has over your life, the less freedom you have.

People have the freedom to be violent and morons. I don't like it, but they are free to choose.

So places with less freedoms have fewer problems?

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 07:13 PM)
Greg has never been one to let facts influence his opinion.

I do appreciate your statistics and believe them. I am pleased crime is down overall and did read it is going up in NY again with people blaming the mayor.

At any rate, these bulls*** American nutjob on innocent American deaths definitely are on the rise as our president stated how they are becoming the norm.

But I do accept your statistics on the overall crime scene. Please comment on the rest of my own rant. You can't deny that right now America is trending downward in a huge way. You can't be happy with all these school shootings and the economy and everything I listed and deadspin listed in a joking way.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 02:20 PM)
I do appreciate your statistics and believe them. I am pleased crime is down overall and did read it is going up in NY again with people blaming the mayor.

At any rate, these bulls*** American nutjob on American deaths definitely are on the rise as our president stated how they are becoming the norm.

But I do accept your statistics on the overall crime scene. Please comment on the rest of my own rant. You can't deny that right now America is trending downward in a huge way. You can't be happy with all these school shootings and the economy and everything I listed and deadspin listed in a joking way.

Economy is rebounding and is now at it's pre-recession job levels.

School shootings are troubling. Still, less gun violence than decades past. We just know more due to the 24/7 news cycle.

There is a non-Christian minority that is vocal, there is a Christian majority that is just as vocal.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 07:22 PM)
Economy is rebounding and is now at it's pre-recession job levels.

School shootings are troubling. Still, less gun violence than decades past. We just know more due to the 24/7 news cycle.

There is a non-Christian minority that is vocal, there is a Christian majority that is just as vocal.

If the economy is getting better then that will help us greatly. Might even help me not get laid off. Hopefully that is happening.

You know my feelings on No. 2.

As far as the Christian thing, cmon Quin. You know Christians have been silenced effectively. Yes by the mass media mainly but tons of believers can't even say they go to church on Sunday without getting looks of disbelief or getting mocked. I know. People around here think I'm an idiot for going to church every week.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 02:04 PM)

Horrific leadership in government. Horrific economy. Terrible crime rate of American nutjobs killing innocent Americans, making us look very bad internationally and nationally, and pretty much nobody caring about doing anything about it. A Godless loud minority effectively silencing those who believe, pretty much making believers shut up when they would like to talk about morals and values and pleasing the higher power. Horrific business leaders who have set the trend of laying off hordes of people just so they can staff unpaid interns and/or parttimers who get no benefits. Horrible healthcare system that even s***s on the U.S. veterans.

Can the USA pick it up as Beckham has and start inching upward?

Good luck to us all. Hillary's not going to lead the change parade to greatness as she fulfills her destiny of being awarded the presidency which people feel is owed her for some reason. Obama has jumped the shark in that regard in that he's thrown up his hands against the assholes in congress.

Simple put, you are wrong. Today is "World Day Against Child Labor", completely irrelevant, but there is a great quote by a photographer Lewis Hine, "“Perhaps you are weary of child labor pictures. Well, so are the rest of us, but we propose to make you and the whole country so sick and tired of the whole business that when the time for action comes, child labor pictures will be records of the past.”

So you need perspective. The reality is, never has it been better in society than it is right now in the US. Sometimes I stay up at night and I worry that I will have lived in the golden age of civilization. That the this time period will be like the Renassaince, sandwiched by cruelty and horror on each side. The United States is in no way perfect, nothing ever will be, but it is the best that we have right now.

And so every day the hope is we get a little better. But ultimately that begs the question "What is better?" And that is what is great about America, we can argue about it. We dont have to stand lock, stock and barrel in agreement. You can believe the most absurd idiotic thing because its your right. And sometimes that will bite us in the ass, and sometimes people will use their talent, ability, to wrong other people. But you know what, other people will use their talent and ability to do good. So its up to us.

But its not going to be easy. There are going to be tragedies, there is going to be suffering, heartache, misery. Thats the only certainty in life, that it always ends sad. So you push forward, not because any of this matters (it doesnt), not because you have to, not because you want to, but because the simple truth is that when you run the numbers, every single human life is so exceptionally rare, that we should do everything in our power to give everyone the chance to enjoy it.