Trade Winds Forum?

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 02:51 PM)
When something actually creates a need for the forum, like actual trade rumors, it will come. We don't need a forum simply for people to make up trade ideas. We have twitter for that.

Well see now you are caught between a rock and a hard place, because you guys seem to hate the idea of a catch-all, yet the reluctance to post a Trade Winds forum has made this thread, what? A catch-all. Hmm, what a conundrum, what is a mod to do?! Make me a mod, I'll make the decision.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 02:53 PM)
Well see now you are caught between a rock and a hard place, because you guys seem to hate the idea of a catch-all, yet the reluctance to post a Trade Winds forum has made this thread, what? A catch-all. Hmm, what a conundrum, what is a mod to do?! Make me a mod, I'll make the decision.

I personally love catch-alls for exactly this reason. The last thing I want is fifty trades thread worthy of an X-Box.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 03:02 PM)
Viciedo has no place in Miami. They have one of the best young outfields in baseball with Stanton-Yellich-Ozuna. They can't even play another top 100 prospect, Jake Marisnick, because he doesn't have a spot behind their current OF.

I know Turner is a lover boy of SoxTalk, but I'm not that enamored with a control pitcher with limited stuff and a sexy pedigree. Ultimately, I think he was overrated as a prospect and his price would be affected by it.

Who else is out there then?

Every 5th day is very important to us in that if we can bring in a piece that could potentially become part of our core, even for only 1-2 years, we can at least use that spot to make a decision. I.E. if we bring in someone with ability beyond that of Rienzo, at least we'll have a better idea of what to do/who to trade come October/November. As it is, starting Rienzo or putting Carroll back into that role without reason is just pointless, we already know those guys aren't going to be part of our 2015 rotation, but if you bring in someone with upside at least you have a chance of filling that role.

I also don't like the idea of just doing this stuff in garbage time. July and August are when teams are still in it and are still playing to win. Bringing in someone else's failure or something at least gives us time to try out a potential solution under conditions that would actually inspire confidence should the player perform properly.

Not sure who else is out there. I wanted Noesi in the offseason and Arrieta last year, both changed teams and we got one, there has to be at least a couple talented RHSP on the roster bubble somewhere. Hopefully the Jays have someone. I've loved Morrow but I think he's still hurt? He's near payday time. I wonder about the guy from the Phillies, centerpiece of the Hallday deal, can't remember the name but he had great stuff, is he still there and somewhat healthy? Anything but Rienzo/Carroll/fodder please.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 03:14 PM)
Kyle Drabek

(he's not the centerpiece, just another name to randomly blurt out. Numbers aren't impressive but the pedrigree is)

Yeah that's it.

That's the trade, Talented A+ ball SP prospect with real upside + Kyle Drabek for Gordon Beckham and maybe filler or something. Do they need versatility because Leury could really help a contender, his skillset is kind of useless on a rebuilding team but a PR with very good speed and defensive versatility actually matters on teams trying to win.

Something like that, that'll work great.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 03:28 PM)
Also to the mods: you guys locked the s*** out of this thread, I was going to post in it, but when I saw it was locked I was like "f*** yeah we're opening the Trade Winds Forum!!!" but then I come back and you guys haven't done s***. What gives? Seriously, we need that forum!!!

My phone did it on accident. My bad.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 03:14 PM)
Kyle Drabek

(he's not the centerpiece, just another name to randomly blurt out. Numbers aren't impressive but the pedrigree is)

he's he the poster boy of a failed former top prospect?

Much prefer promising A and AA pitchers.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 02:35 PM)
That was probably Kyyle, he likes to look at threads and then lock them from his phone because he's a jerkface.

I like the idea of bringing in Turner too. He's a little reminiscent of Homer Bailey.

it probably was me. but i will blame you because then TUC can get all mad at you again

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 04:26 PM)
Plus, his father pitched for the White Sox.

Yes he did, unfortunately after his prime.

If Kyle were able to turn it around the Sox could control him into his prime since he's under team control through 2018 according to baseball reference. Right hander with wicked movement and under long term control, I'm in. But, this is all based on "if's".

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 04:41 PM)
Yes he did, unfortunately after his prime.

If Kyle were able to turn it around the Sox could control him into his prime since he's under team control through 2018 according to baseball reference. Right hander with wicked movement and under long term control, I'm in. But, this is all based on "if's".

Actually before his prime too. We traded young Doug Drabek for f'nn Roy Smalley junior.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 04:56 PM)
He has had 2 TJ surgeries.

And the Sox have two gaping holes in the rotation with no real talent ready to step in.

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 04:59 PM)
Actually before his prime too. We traded young Doug Drabek for f'nn Roy Smalley junior.

s***, forgot about that. Good call.

Danks isn't very good so i'd slow my roll on that trade package if I were you.

With Danks it isn't "who are we getting back" but "how much do we have to pay to make him go away".

Danks isn't even as good as Rios and we basically got a replacement level player + salary relief for him.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 04:52 PM)
Joel Sherman writes that the Yankees may have interest in Danks.

Maybe something like John Ryan Murphy, Miguel Andujar, and the #17 draft slot ($677,400)?

lol. Not unless we pick up half of his contract... or more.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 08:35 PM)
Reclamation is fine.

But you don't trade Beckham for a reclamation project.

Drabek is 27 and has had a dreadful career. You get him off the heap and hope you can fix him.

Beckham sucks... except for when his trade value is talked about.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 09:01 PM)
Beckham sucks... except for when his trade value is talked about.

Beckham hasn't been very good in his career, but he was a highly regarded prospect. Given that he's been fairly productive this year, all it takes is one GM desperate for a 2B that thinks Beckham might be finally reaching his potential and perhaps we get a halfway decent prospect. More likely, look for a A/A+ pitching prospect with a high ceiling but limited results like Montas and hope for the best. Either way, Gordon Beckham won't be on our roster come August 1st.