Sox acquire Michael Taylor

flavum

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with lottery ticket signings is while there is little to lose, like the real lottery, there is an even smaller chance it works out.

No problem with the Sox buying some, but I wouldn't get too excited about any of them. (and I am a guy who buys a powerball when the prize gets huge and I actually convince myself I will win) .

There generally is a reason guys are available for nothing in salary and nothing in talent surrendered.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2014 -> 11:01 AM)
And yet we are already years ahead of the Cubs, who are in year four of their rebuild.

"Longer than planned" HAHAHAHAHA. I mean, could someone be any more off base with that comment? We wouldnt even be remotely close to contending if it was "taking longer." Classic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 16, 2014 -> 11:03 AM)
The problem with lottery ticket signings is while there is little to lose, like the real lottery, there is an even smaller chance it works out.

No problem with the Sox buying some, but I wouldn't get too excited about any of them. (and I am a guy who buys a powerball when the prize gets huge and I actually convince myself I will win) .

There generally is a reason guys are available for nothing in salary and nothing in talent surrendered.

And yet we see to turn one or two of these guys a year into usable pieces.

Look at the roster we have now.

De Aza was a waiver claim.

Quintana was a minor league free agent.

Noesi was a waiver claim.

Carroll was a minor league free agent.

Sierra was a waiver claim.

Nieto was a Rule 5 pick.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 16, 2014 -> 10:04 AM)
"Longer than planned" HAHAHAHAHA. I mean, could someone be any more off base with that comment? We wouldnt even be remotely close to contending if it was "taking longer." Classic

Seriously, lol. We have a shot at .500 in YEAR ONE.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2014 -> 10:10 AM)
And yet we see to turn one or two of these guys a year into usable pieces.

Look at the roster we have now.

De Aza was a waiver claim.

Quintana was a minor league free agent.

Noesi was a waiver claim.

Carroll was a minor league free agent.

Sierra was a waiver claim.

Nieto was a Rule 5 pick.

Zach Putnam might be the overall MVP of the bullpen so far this year.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 16, 2014 -> 10:49 AM)
Lottery tickets are all well and good, but what it says about this rebuild is it's going to take longer than planned.

This team is really not that far from contention. The rebuild is nearly complete. The team is probably an OF and a starting pitcher away from being a WS contender, they could use an upgrade at C, but so could almost everyone else. I think that the plan should still be to sell at the deadline to complete the rebuild and reap what they can from Beckham and Viciedo along with whatever they can get back from anyone in the bullpen outside of Webb.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 16, 2014 -> 11:14 AM)
This team is really not that far from contention. The rebuild is nearly complete. The team is probably an OF and a starting pitcher away from being a WS contender, they could use an upgrade at C, but so could almost everyone else. I think that the plan should still be to sell at the deadline to complete the rebuild and reap what they can from Beckham and Viciedo along with whatever they can get back from anyone in the bullpen outside of Webb.

Petricka is the type of arm the White Sox are probably looking to hold onto unless someone bowls you over with an offer...and also represents our 3rd best starting pitching prospect at the moment (after Rodon/Montas) unless you're a big believer in Beck.

Finding the outfield replacements and a veteran pitcher for the back end of the rotation aren't going to be as difficult as finding a LH power hitter to replace Dunn and a catcher. (And some of the acquisition targets like Seth Smith, Victor Martinez, Melky Cabrera and LaRoche are having such good seasons they might become prohibitively expensive from a "buy high" perspective.)

Finally, while that position (catcher) is a weakness for 25 other teams, as a common thread, most of the very successful teams and pitching staffs have that common thread of a team leader/captain at that position, and we've been drifting in that regard since AJ left.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 16, 2014 -> 12:00 PM)
Zach Putnam might be the overall MVP of the bullpen so far this year.

I absolutely love seeing him succeed, I still thought he was a better hitter than pitcher in HS but very cool to see him now on my favorite team.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 16, 2014 -> 12:25 PM)
And if you've come to that conclusion based on his age and minor league numbers, then fine, that's an actual argument to be made.

Is that the guy you said never played in the majors? According to Baseball Reference, he has.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 16, 2014 -> 12:57 PM)
Nope.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 15, 2014 -> 08:55 PM)
He has had 0 Major League at bats at the age of 28. Try again, and this time say something relevant and different, and hopefully correct.

So what do you mean with this? Picking nit saying that as a 28 year old he hasnt had any at bats?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 16, 2014 -> 03:04 PM)
What the hell are you guys talking about?

Taylor is 28 and has 81 career major league plate appearances. I think Marty is saying he has 81 plate appearances as a 28 year old, and the argument is technically he hasn't played in the major leagues as a 28 year old, only when he was younger. So technically he has 0 AB as a 28 year old in the major leagues. I could be wrong.

I think our rebuild is going pretty well when you consider that our starting RF is on the DL, our closer is on the DL, the guy everyone figured is going to be our closer is on the DL, our supposed fourth starter can't find home plate, our supposed fifth starter finds home plate too often, our best hitter went on the DL, our leadoff hitter went on the DL, our ace went on the DL, a historic strikeout rate from our starting catcher, our captain basically being out there for show, the guy we traded our closer for not being able to hit.....

Things are going about as well as you could hope right now considering all of that.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 16, 2014 -> 03:14 PM)
Taylor is 28 and has 81 career major league plate appearances. I think Marty is saying he has 81 plate appearances as a 28 year old, and the argument is technically he hasn't played in the major leagues as a 28 year old, only when he was younger. So technically he has 0 AB as a 28 year old in the major leagues. I could be wrong.

Holy crap. If you're correct, that is a new low for arguing exclusively for the sake of arguing.