Official NHL 2014-15 Thread

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 03:17 PM)
Maybe one of the best clutch playoff scorers in the league, but he's had his disappearing moments as well. I sure hope Kane gets to another level, but I wouldn't be betting on multiple 100+ point seasons (though a real center could help...). "Could get to another level" is weak justification for 10.5 or a match of Toews. Though I'll agree that Toews is probably at peak now, and may not play much after this contract considering his style of play. But right now, Toews is the more valuable player without a doubt and worth more than Kane.

I've been following it closely (I used to play there a ton), and it's an absolute joke. They failed to take PR 101. GM sends a terrible email, it goes public, owner steps in and sends a worse email and bans him. Although the guy sending the email wasn't one of the 3 guys that got robbed from what I saw. Not that it makes a huge difference. At some point (and it's probably happened already behind closed doors) the Hawks are going to step in here. This has story has gone from local to national, and "Hawks practice facility" is mentioned every time and there is a giant hawks logo on the outside of the building.

A quick google search will give you some NBC links. It also made Yahoo, and was talked about on the Score as well.

West.

From what B&B read, these two guys are living in the stone age if they think those emails are gonna stop someone from saying anything these days.

I just cant wrap my head around why they are so strongly against the guy. That is a legitimate thing to be worried about. Do they not want to hire security?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The organization hates Leddy, Oduya and Seabrook will move on when their deals are over, and Sharp is going to be dealt eventually. Crawford might be gone in the next 2-3 years, too. There has to be a decent way to get out of the Hossa deal, as well. Once again, I'm not worried.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 09:56 PM)
The organization hates Leddy, Oduya and Seabrook will move on when their deals are over, and Sharp is going to be dealt eventually. Crawford might be gone in the next 2-3 years, too. There has to be a decent way to get out of the Hossa deal, as well. Once again, I'm not worried.

Hawks are stuck with Hossa they are NOT getting out of that deal.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 09:56 PM)

And the replacements are...?

It's super easy to get under the cap, if that's all you're trying to accomplish here. The challenge is fielding a Cup worthy team while doing so.

Again, going to rely on a ton of young, cheap talent soon. That is absolutely something to be worried about.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 11:11 PM)

It's super easy to get under the cap, if that's all you're trying to accomplish here. The challenge is fielding a Cup worthy team while doing so.

Again, going to rely on a ton of young, cheap talent soon. That is absolutely something to be worried about.

I'm ready for Johns, Dahlbeck and Clendening. Johns compares to Seabrook (size), Clendening to Leddy (offense) and Dahlbeck to Oduya (stay at home). It's weird that it's the case but it's true.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 11:11 PM)

Thats the issue, you have to trust you drafted or acquired the correct young talent.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 12:52 AM)
I'm ready for Johns, Dahlbeck and Clendening. Johns compares to Seabrook (size), Clendening to Leddy (offense) and Dahlbeck to Oduya (stay at home). It's weird that it's the case but it's true.

Not sure you're putting Oduya in a "stay at home" category.

Anyway, you can be ready for them, doesn't mean they are. Lot tougher to build a Cup worthy roster with so many young guys being counted on for significant minutes.

But, the point is all those guys better be pretty good or they could be in trouble.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 12:57 AM)
Thats the issue, you have to trust you drafted or acquired the correct young talent.

And that's why it's worrisome. Depth could be a really big issue.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 02:09 PM)
And that's why it's worrisome. Depth could be a really big issue.

Unfortunately this is the NHL working by design, though. There may be another 3 year lull while talent builds. I don't think expecting your two biggest stars to take deals way below market value deals is realistic.

NHL needs to get some TV revenue. It's ridiculous to me how the top stars in NHL make so little comparitively. THe MLS pays their stars more.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 09:31 AM)
Unfortunately this is the NHL working by design, though. There may be another 3 year lull while talent builds. I don't think expecting your two biggest stars to take deals way below market value deals is realistic.

NHL needs to get some TV revenue. It's ridiculous to me how the top stars in NHL make so little comparatively. THe MLS pays their stars more.

I never said that. I said the other deals that Stan overpaid on will start to hurt them. With this core, you can't just have a 3 year lull. One of the windows is right now.

There's a salary cap as you know, so that's going to limit how high they can earn anyway. Do MLS stars really make 10.5 mil? I'm legit asking, I honestly don't know. It was my understanding that MLS guys don't make a ton, which is one reason it's so hard to get top talent. I can't imagine MLS revenue is greater than NHL revenue. Maybe it's the top stars make a ton and everyone else is making peanuts?

Is the MLS TV contract that good? Don't the play on NBCSN as well?

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 04:48 PM)
I never said that. I said the other deals that Stan overpaid on will start to hurt them. With this core, you can't just have a 3 year lull. One of the windows is right now.

There's a salary cap as you know, so that's going to limit how high they can earn anyway. Do MLS stars really make 10.5 mil? I'm legit asking, I honestly don't know. It was my understanding that MLS guys don't make a ton, which is one reason it's so hard to get top talent. I can't imagine MLS revenue is greater than NHL revenue. Maybe it's the top stars make a ton and everyone else is making peanuts?

No the MLS non-stars make nothing, and they don't have any tv. But to me it's scary that in 2014 the top earners are only making 10.5 million/yr.

Barclays Premiere League is on NBCSN and is one of their bigger draws. But as we've seen with Sox/mlb, people aren't coming to stadium, yet the league revenues are growing substantially.

I don't necessarily think a hard cap is bad, and this isn't necessarily a hockey problem as a sports one, but I'm really tired of crap run organizations being artificially propped up.

It's great that everyone has a shot in football, but parody in football is largely because the sport is brutal and bodies are breaking down constantly, and some years tons break down and some none break down.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 09:31 AM)

NHL needs to get some TV revenue. It's ridiculous to me how the top stars in NHL make so little comparitively. THe MLS pays their stars more.

Huh? According to this from the MLS players union, Bradley & Dempsey make the most money at around $6.5 million.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 08:48 AM)

MLS Stars don't make more then Hockey players. I know nothing of the MLS contract although I swore ESPN just extended their agreement with them. Each team has like an exception where they can pay a big time salary though, above what the norm was. Beckham got huge money when he was playing with the Galaxy (like more then NBA top money). This is off the top of my head so someone probably should fact check me cause my memory sometimes sucks.

No one said the transition would be easy, but the Hawks have done a good job of bringing up guys who have proven to be solid role players, like Raanta, Shaw, and Saad. If you go back a few years, you could say the same for Bolland, Hjalmarsson and Kruger. If there's an organization I believe in, it's this one. Johns, Dahlbeck, Clendening, McNeill, Hayes (if they can ever get him here), Teuvo and even Danault are all good prospects who should be solid contributors around Kane, Toews, Sharp (?), Keith and Hossa.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 12:35 PM)
MLS Stars don't make more then Hockey players. I know nothing of the MLS contract although I swore ESPN just extended their agreement with them. Each team has like an exception where they can pay a big time salary though, above what the norm was. Beckham got huge money when he was playing with the Galaxy (like more then NBA top money). This is off the top of my head so someone probably should fact check me cause my memory sometimes sucks.

MLS has a 3.1M salary cap for roster spots of 1-20. League minimum for those players are 48k. You can have up to 30 players signed but 21-30 doesnt count towards cap. They make a minimum of 36k and must be under 25 years of age. So basically developmental contracts.

Each team gets 3 designated players that they can sign. Those players count as 387k towards the cap but the team can sign them for whatever amount they want and are responsible for paying that salary.

MLS salary cap rules

that's how I comprehended it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 10:40 PM)
The contracts for Toews and Kane are huge now, but it really seems like they are projecting a big cap jump. Hopefully they are right, otherwise this team is capf***ed.

Just root for the Canadian dollar, the better it does the higher the cap goes.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 04:11 PM)
Chris Kuc ‏@ChrisKuc 1m

Patrick Kane: "Everyone kind of goes through their different maturation process and maybe mine was a little delayed compared to other guys."

Just a college kid.