Official NHL 2014-15 Thread

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 04:34 PM)
Definitely the best bang for your buck deal. His speed isn't what it once was, but compared to Zues, it's still no contest. Helps ease TT into the lineup as well. He better be playing with Hossa. Hands and vision still top notch.

It doesn't take much to upgrade over Handzus, and at $2 million it's definitely worth the risk, maybe he is rejuvenated and shows some old flashes of skill at age 34. Like I said earlier, this offseason is about resigning 19 & 88, not much else, so have to applaud a signing like this.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great signing, I feel these low risk/ high reward signings in the middle of the free agency frenzy are the best. Richards is without a doubt an upgrade over Zeus, and I know at 34 he isn't the same player he once was but to take a 1 year deal at 2 mil feels like he's looking for a redemption year and I hope he gets it!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 02:50 PM)
Chris Kuc ‏@ChrisKuc 1h

Source says contract extensions for Jonathan Toews & Patrick Kane not expected to be done until some time after holiday weekend. #Blackhawks

They'll be announced July 18 or 19 at the Convention.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 10:15 AM)
Kane/Toews/Hossa/Crow - roughly 50% of cap.

Does anyone know how the amnesty rule works in NHL? I imagine it's gonna happen in the next few years with Hossa. I believe if he retires early before 2021, the Hawks could face some major cap penalties.

And the Crawford deal still sucks.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 03:37 PM)
Does anyone know how the amnesty rule works in NHL? I imagine it's gonna happen in the next few years with Hossa. I believe if he retires early before 2021, the Hawks could face some major cap penalties.

You face cap penalties if a player retires early?

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 10:40 AM)
You face cap penalties if a player retires early?

Only the players who signed the mega cap-avoiding deals before the new CBA. From 2017-18 to 2020-21 (age 39 to 42), Hossa'a salary will be $1 million a year. The new CBA punishes teams if a player retires during that portion of the contract, which was the original plan.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 10:37 AM)

Yes they can amnesty Hossa at some point if necessary. Pay his salary but won't count against the cap. I think they are allowed to use the provision twice.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 04:55 PM)
Only the players who signed the mega cap-avoiding deals before the new CBA. From 2017-18 to 2020-21 (age 39 to 42), Hossa'a salary will be $1 million a year. The new CBA punishes teams if a player retires during that portion of the contract, which was the original plan.

The NHL is so dumb.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 11:05 AM)
Yes they can amnesty Hossa at some point if necessary. Pay his salary but won't count against the cap. I think they are allowed to use the provision twice.

You are right but apparently they already used the provision twice for Montador and Olesz, so much for that.

CapGeek has this nifty calculator that tells how much penalty the Hawks pay for whatever year Hossa retires. http://www.capgeek.com/recapture-calculator/

If he were to retire after 2017 when his salary bottoms out, the Hawks would have a $4.275 million cap penalty for the next four seasons. Ouch.