2014-2015 NBA thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 07:42 AM)
Do they have a large salary they can give back?

It actually doesn't help the Bulls much aside from saving Reinsdorf money if the Bulls trade Boozer to a team that just absorbs his contract.

Don't believe they have to since the Lakers are under the cap.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 02:43 PM)
Don't believe they have to since the Lakers are under the cap.

This would only give us a large trade exception which is by and large unhelpful because it could only be used in Melo's deal if Melo took that exact price.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 07:44 AM)
This would only give us a large trade exception which is by and large unhelpful because it could only be used in Melo's deal if Melo took that exact price.

Not if you make it a 3 team S&T.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 09:42 AM)
Do they have a large salary they can give back?

It actually doesn't help the Bulls much aside from saving Reinsdorf money if the Bulls trade Boozer to a team that just absorbs his contract.

If the trade is a 3 way for Melo, it helps a lot.

Also just went to the realgm trade machine....

Mike James from Chicago Bulls

James recently signed a contract and, as a result, he cannot be traded until Jul 10, 2014.

Lou Amundson from Chicago Bulls

Amundson recently signed a contract and, as a result, he cannot be traded until Jul 10, 2014.

Ronnie Brewer from Chicago Bulls

Brewer recently signed a contract and, as a result, he cannot be traded until Jul 7, 2014.

So if there is a sign and trade, and those guys have to be included, we could be waiting at least another 8 days...

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 07:52 AM)
If the trade is a 3 way for Melo, it helps a lot.

Also just went to the realgm trade machine....

So if there is a sign and trade, and those guys have to be included, we could be waiting at least another 8 days...

That is the earliest Melo can sign a contract, I believe.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 07:55 AM)
Im just gonna not worry about cap/trade/exception crap. If Melo wants to be a bull, he will be. It will be figured out

That is the reality in this. If he wants to, one way shape or form they will figure it out, imo. That said, I still think Houston, while offering a 2nd rate city, provides Melo with more money (if they trade lin, they are starting at 17M / year) and that actually works out to a larger # when you adjust for state income tax. It is hard to be the favorite when you are offering the least amount of money which is why this all comes down to Melo telling Knicks I'll take less and then put a lot of pressure on the sign and trade so they can get something.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 09:57 AM)
That is the reality in this. If he wants to, one way shape or form they will figure it out, imo. That said, I still think Houston, while offering a 2nd rate city, provides Melo with more money (if they trade lin, they are starting at 17M / year) and that actually works out to a larger # when you adjust for state income tax. It is hard to be the favorite when you are offering the least amount of money which is why this all comes down to Melo telling Knicks I'll take less and then put a lot of pressure on the sign and trade so they can get something.

They're in the West though. Would he really want to go through that gauntlet every year to get to the Finals?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 03:57 PM)

On the other hand, Houston as a city is horrible, and as a fit on their team is pretty bad too. Their defense was hilarious last year, and it's not getting any better with Asik gone.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 11:05 AM)
Pippen was apparently at the dinner with Melo & Bulls last night. Interesting. You wonder if Pippen's wife was taking out La La?

Not a tip was found that night.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 09:57 AM)

The sign and trade has to help the Knicks though. I just don't think the Bulls can make it attractive enough for them to take Boozer. Maybe if the take back JR Smith and some other garbage to free up space, it makes it closer, but doesn't really help free up money for Melo. It saves a rival money, it gives the guy that blew them off more money, and if they can't use Boozer's contract to trade for a really good piece or pieces, with the repeat tax offender penalty, his contract alone could cost them close to $40 million.

But IMO, I agree, if Melo wants to be a Bull, he will be a Bull. They wouldn't waste his time unless they already know someone will take Boozer or they are willing to amnesty him.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 08:10 AM)
They're in the West though. Would he really want to go through that gauntlet every year to get to the Finals?

I didn't say it was perfect. He could get money and still be on a very good team though.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 04:15 PM)
I didn't say it was perfect. He could get money and still be on a very good team though.

I could see Asik getting moved, but Lin. Man I don't know who takes him. PGs are becoming a dime a dozen, an overpaid, not that good one? Would have to be a salary floor team.

Also, really hoping someone signs Parsons to a monster contract, which would mess with Rockets ability to sign Melo.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 08:13 AM)
The sign and trade has to help the Knicks though. I just don't think the Bulls can make it attractive enough for them to take Boozer. Maybe if the take back JR Smith and some other garbage to free up space, it makes it closer, but doesn't really help free up money for Melo. It saves a rival money, it gives the guy that blew them off more money, and if they can't use Boozer's contract to trade for a really good piece or pieces, with the repeat tax offender penalty, his contract alone could cost them close to $40 million.

They'd have to take Smith and others back and if they do that, I believe the Knicks can take on Boozer and stay under the luxury tax threshold, although I might be mistaken on that. The key would be the Knicks would have to be interested in Snell (and most likely Butler is the real chip that is dealt for this to happen).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 08:16 AM)
Mark Deeks ‏@MarkDeeksNBA 11h

@McGrawDHBulls I spoke to an NBA executive the other day who said they would happily max Butler. Double checked and he wasn't joking.

I'm one of Butler's biggest fans but that would be a disaster for whichever team (unless his max is a lot less then I'm thinking). I do think Butler's production and progress last year was very negatively impacted by the slew of injuries he faced. I think he takes some major steps forward and I personally think he's an outstanding fit / chip on this squad but one that likely goes in a S&T for Melo (as the incentive for Knicks to do it).

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 10:10 AM)
On the other hand, Houston as a city is horrible, and as a fit on their team is pretty bad too. Their defense was hilarious last year, and it's not getting any better with Asik gone.

I find it funny that people always say this, but Houston is pretty awesome actually. My sister and brother-in-law have lived there for 6 years now (and my parents live there now), and they were dreading it (but it was for a great job opportunity) and they love it now. Their neighborhood is about 10 minutes from downtown, yet you wouldn't feel like you're in a big city. There is a ton to do and a lot of cool areas. I've spent tons of time there over the years and I'd easily move there if I had to.

Is it Chicago? No. No city in America is Chicago. But it's a hell of a lot better than a lot of places. And the weather is way better, unless you're the type of person who loves freezing cold temperatures and shoveling snow every day in the winter.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 04:13 PM)

But IMO, I agree, if Melo wants to be a Bull, he will be a Bull. They wouldn't waste his time unless they already know someone will take Boozer or they are willing to amnesty him.

Bulls don't need to free up money in a trade. Boozer is included to match salaries in that scenario.

But yes, the luxury tax would be main issue. But considering teams with salary floors I think Phil could send out some players.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 04:25 PM)
I find it funny that people always say this, but Houston is pretty awesome actually. My sister and brother-in-law have lived there for 6 years now (and my parents live there now), and they were dreading it (but it was for a great job opportunity) and they love it now. Their neighborhood is about 10 minutes from downtown, yet you wouldn't feel like you're in a big city. There is a ton to do and a lot of cool areas. I've spent tons of time there over the years and I'd easily move there if I had to.

Is it Chicago? No. No city in America is Chicago. But it's a hell of a lot better than a lot of places. And the weather is way better, unless you're the type of person who loves freezing cold temperatures and shoveling snow every day in the winter.

No. sorry it sucks. it's a strip mall with 100 degree heat.

Houston is like a small city that just happens to have a lot of people in it.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 10:28 AM)
No. sorry it sucks. it's a strip mall with 100 degree heat.

Good way to put it too. Kind of like Phoenix, whose downtown looks like a suburban office park.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 04:18 PM)
I'm one of Butler's biggest fans but that would be a disaster for whichever team (unless his max is a lot less then I'm thinking). I do think Butler's production and progress last year was very negatively impacted by the slew of injuries he faced. I think he takes some major steps forward and I personally think he's an outstanding fit / chip on this squad but one that likely goes in a S&T for Melo (as the incentive for Knicks to do it).

If Jimmy Butler makes more than Lebron, than the league really needs to start policing themselves by firing dumb owners, not taking more money from players.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 10:13 AM)

I think the inclusion of Butler and a 1R pick would help the Knicks.

Not buying the Butler max rumor 1 bit....His D is awesome and is gonna make him a good chunk of change but no where near max money.

Edited by scs787

What is Bulls' plan B and C. All these talk on landing Melo, I'd probably give it a 25% chance given the heavy competition.

If we strike out on Melo, who do we target next? Greg Monroe? 34 year old Gasol? Chandler Parson? I don't think any of those guys are worth JR paying Boozer amnestied contract for.

Worst case (most likely) scenario would be sticking with Boozer and bringing in Mirotic along with the already drafted McDougie and call it an off season. I think that may cause some Bulls fan to riot and boycott the UC next season.