2014-2015 NBA thread

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 04:44 PM)
What is Bulls' plan B and C. All these talk on landing Melo, I'd probably give it a 25% chance given the heavy competition.

If we strike out on Melo, who do we target next? Greg Monroe? 34 year old Gasol? Chandler Parson? I don't think any of those guys are worth JR paying Boozer amnestied contract for.

Worst case (most likely) scenario would be sticking with Boozer and bringing in Mirotic along with the already drafted McDougie and call it an off season. I think that may cause some Bulls fan to riot and boycott the UC next season.

So you'd want to pay Boozer to block minutes from Taj Gibson and Mirotic. Got it.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 10:28 AM)
No. sorry it sucks. it's a strip mall with 100 degree heat.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 10:29 AM)
Houston is like a small city that just happens to have a lot of people in it.

Good way to put it too. Kind of like Phoenix, whose downtown looks like a suburban office park.

Wow. Houston is definitely more than that.

And given the basketball season (including training camp) is from Sept - May, the weather should be fair in those months, and basketball players don't always stay in their basketball city during off season.

If I am a basketball player, I would probably pick Houston weather over Chicago weather, given how bad the winter can get during the season. And didn't Howard also choose to sign with Houston when weather and city life are also his priorities?

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 10:27 AM)
Bulls don't need to free up money in a trade. Boozer is included to match salaries in that scenario.

But yes, the luxury tax would be main issue. But considering teams with salary floors I think Phil could send out some players.

What I am saying is something like taking back JR Smith might entice them to take Boozer but that hurts the money available for Melo.

BTW, Jimmy Buckets was at my health club yesterday. I had no idea he is so big. He has been pumping some iron.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 10:46 AM)
So you'd want to pay Boozer to block minutes from Taj Gibson and Mirotic. Got it.

They might give Taj more look at the C, or give Mirotic a few minutes at SF.

They money doesn't mean anything to me, so I would amnesty the heck out of Boozer, but it does mean something to JR. I doubt any of those guys I mentioned are worth paying extra $15 mil over, in the event that we can't work out an S&T with their former team of course.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 10:44 AM)
What is Bulls' plan B and C. All these talk on landing Melo, I'd probably give it a 25% chance given the heavy competition.

If we strike out on Melo, who do we target next? Greg Monroe? 34 year old Gasol? Chandler Parson? I don't think any of those guys are worth JR paying Boozer amnestied contract for.

Worst case (most likely) scenario would be sticking with Boozer and bringing in Mirotic along with the already drafted McDougie and call it an off season. I think that may cause some Bulls fan to riot and boycott the UC next season.

Really think Parsons would be a star on the Bulls.

But ya, like BMags said, if Mirotic is indeed coming over there's just no place for Boozer. I wouldn't hate to see them hold off a year and try for Love though (If they can't trade for him this year)

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 04:51 PM)
Wow. Houston is definitely more than that.

And given the basketball season (including training camp) is from Sept - May, the weather should be fair in those months, and basketball players don't always stay in their basketball city during off season.

If I am a basketball player, I would probably pick Houston weather over Chicago weather, given how bad the winter can get during the season. And didn't Howard also choose to sign with Houston when weather and city life are also his priorities?

Dwight Howard was from the south. He also didn't like LA who has better city life/weather than Houston.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 10:55 AM)
Dwight Howard was from the south. He also didn't like LA who has better city life/weather than Houston.

Point is, weather in Houston is not as bad as you think. There no reason to think Melo would turn down Houston because they are "100 degree heat with just a strip mall".

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 10:54 AM)
Really think Parsons would be a star on the Bulls.

But ya, like BMags said, if Mirotic is indeed coming over there's just no place for Boozer. I wouldn't hate to see them hold off a year and try for Love though (If they can't trade for him this year)

Ideally they'd like to get rid of Boozer to give Mirotic more burn, but I think Melo is the only guy they are willing to amnesty Boozer over. For other guys, it would have to be a S&T, as the value add is not as high. Detroit might be the only team that will do a S&T for Monroe because they aren't in a win now mode. I can see Boozer and a few firsts and Snell for Monroe. They can start Drummond and J Smith in the front court and bring Boozer off the bench as a scorer. That would be the best way for them to rebuild IMO.

They can also ease Mirotic into more playing time, and trade Boozer at the trade deadline as his expiring contract would be more valuable at that point.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 10:16 AM)
Mark Deeks ‏@MarkDeeksNBA 11h

@McGrawDHBulls I spoke to an NBA executive the other day who said they would happily max Butler. Double checked and he wasn't joking.

Ha what the s***?

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 10:28 AM)
No. sorry it sucks. it's a strip mall with 100 degree heat.

If you hate Houston that much, chances you you are doing it wrong.

The first time I visited Houston, I wasn't able to leave downtown which is a little Ehhh. During my next visit, I was able to explore and it is indeed a cool place with cool areas.

I would suggest doing some research before a next visit, there are tons of great spots outside and in the city. Take it for what it is.

And to be honest, the best meal of my life was in Houston, Uchi. Outstanding restaurant in a cool part of town.

West Alabama Ice House - one of the finest dive bars in existence

Tacos Tierra Caliente - Best taco truck ever

Ninfa's on Navigation - amazing TexMex and creator of the fajita

Uchi - Ridulous Japanese restaurant

Underbelly - Great food, some of the best desserts I have had in recent memory

Edited by Chi Town Sox

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 09:21 AM)
Wow, 5 places? Amazing.

I swear to God PLEASE let Houston's pitch be convincing Melo it's a real city. PLEASE GOD.

Rumor has it their pitch is a 5 player super team, which will include Howard, Melo, Harden, Parsons, and another FA (most believe this to be Lowry). Harden is in on the presentation and probably means they are not seriously going after LBJ (or dangling Harden in a S&T). Houston has a much easier opportunity at giving Howard big money as they won't have the same difficulties Chicago has in terms of getting a S&T with Knicks (as Houston can structure its trade without putting in near the same types of guaranteed money). Lin is supposedly on his way to Philly if Melo gives a verbal commitment.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 11:21 AM)
Wow, 5 places? Amazing.

I swear to God PLEASE let Houston's pitch be convincing Melo it's a real city. PLEASE GOD.

Now you're just trying to be a dick. :lol:

Not shoveling snow > shoveling snow

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 11:21 AM)
Wow, 5 places? Amazing.

Well, just giving you some spots to try so maybe you can enjoy yourself next time, all you gave us was bad weather (false) and it being a strip mall (false). I have no ties to Houston, just letting you know that I highly disagree and there are plenty of ways to enjoy yourself if you take the time to figure it out.

I'm sure I could find plenty more if I am there longer than 5 days, stay ignorant my friend.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 05:24 PM)
Rumor has it their pitch is a 5 player super team, which will include Howard, Melo, Harden, Parsons, and another FA (most believe this to be Lowry). Harden is in on the presentation and probably means they are not seriously going after LBJ (or dangling Harden in a S&T). Houston has a much easier opportunity at giving Howard big money as they won't have the same difficulties Chicago has in terms of getting a S&T with Knicks (as Houston can structure its trade without putting in near the same types of guaranteed money). Lin is supposedly on his way to Philly if Melo gives a verbal commitment.

I don't see how Lowry could be possible now that he is getting 5 years at around 10 or 12 from TOR.

I get that talent wise they are a great fit, and that Morey can somehow fit 3 max deals on his team where the Bulls can barely fit one, but that roster can score 130 and give up 200 points a game.

Also, if someone signs Parsons to a deal NOW, it severely limits them.

Presti, please please please do not accept Lin for no reason. The penalty for the salary floor is essentially nothing.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 11:24 AM)
Now you're just trying to be a dick. :lol:

Not shoveling snow > shoveling snow

Melo will be making $20 mill a year. He's not going to be shoveling any snow. Hell, they will probably put language in his contract to not shovel snow.

WSJ reported that some in Knicks organization believe Boozer makes a lot of sense and can be a useful chip in a Love deal.

NYDailyNews had a report that the Bulls pitch included both Taj & Jimmy Butler as being key points to the Bulls roster being title ready. This would be significant as the report went on to indicate that Melo is on board and understands the Bulls should retain those players and has learned from the Denver trade to Knicks (which ultimately led to Knicks being gutted). Seems like there is at least some real smoke about him seriously considering taking less money. That would be awesome. I'd love to keep Jimmy B and Taj and get Melo.

Note: Obviously, if Melo says he wants to come here, I would ship Taj/Jimmy B for Melo if need be, but am hopeful they can work things out to really have this roster set.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 11:30 AM)
I don't see how Lowry could be possible now that he is getting 5 years at around 10 or 12 from TOR.

I get that talent wise they are a great fit, and that Morey can somehow fit 3 max deals on his team where the Bulls can barely fit one, but that roster can score 130 and give up 200 points a game.

Presti, please please please do not accept Lin for no reason. The penalty for the salary floor is essentially nothing.

sorry if this has been answered, but can the same salary effect from a s & t with boozer be accomplished with an amniesty?

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 09:30 AM)

Note: I have zero idea how that could possibly work given the cap and yes they will have defensive limitations but that is a serious roster.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 11:20 AM)
If you hate Houston that much, chances you you are doing it wrong.

The first time I visited Houston, I wasn't able to leave downtown which is a little Ehhh. During my next visit, I was able to explore and it is indeed a cool place with cool areas.

I would suggest doing some research before a next visit, there are tons of great spots outside and in the city. Take it for what it is.

And to be honest, the best meal of my life was in Houston, Uchi. Outstanding restaurant in a cool part of town.

West Alabama Ice House - one of the finest dive bars in existence

Tacos Tierra Caliente - Best taco truck ever

Ninfa's on Navigation - amazing TexMex and creator of the fajita

Uchi - Ridulous Japanese restaurant

Underbelly - Great food, some of the best desserts I have had in recent memory

Uchi was probably the best sushi I've ever had. Expensive, but worth it. Fishes flown in overnight from Japan was worth every single buck.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 11:32 AM)
Uchi was probably the best sushi I've ever had. Expensive, but worth it. Fishes flown in overnight from Japan was worth every single buck.

Yes, I was hoping to catch the Austin location when I was there last month but couldn't make it. #drunkatmybachelorpartyissues