2014-2015 NBA thread

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 11:20 AM)
If you hate Houston that much, chances you you are doing it wrong.

The first time I visited Houston, I wasn't able to leave downtown which is a little Ehhh. During my next visit, I was able to explore and it is indeed a cool place with cool areas.

I would suggest doing some research before a next visit, there are tons of great spots outside and in the city. Take it for what it is.

And to be honest, the best meal of my life was in Houston, Uchi. Outstanding restaurant in a cool part of town.

West Alabama Ice House - one of the finest dive bars in existence

Tacos Tierra Caliente - Best taco truck ever

Ninfa's on Navigation - amazing TexMex and creator of the fajita

Uchi - Ridulous Japanese restaurant

Underbelly - Great food, some of the best desserts I have had in recent memory

I lived down there for three years old when I was young, and loved it down there.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 11:31 AM)
WSJ reported that some in Knicks organization believe Boozer makes a lot of sense and can be a useful chip in a Love deal.

NYDailyNews had a report that the Bulls pitch included both Taj & Jimmy Butler as being key points to the Bulls roster being title ready. This would be significant as the report went on to indicate that Melo is on board and understands the Bulls should retain those players and has learned from the Denver trade to Knicks (which ultimately led to Knicks being gutted). Seems like there is at least some real smoke about him seriously considering taking less money. That would be awesome. I'd love to keep Jimmy B and Taj and get Melo.

Note: Obviously, if Melo says he wants to come here, I would ship Taj/Jimmy B for Melo if need be, but am hopeful they can work things out to really have this roster set.

All indications have been that Butler wasn't really involved in process. To sign Melo outright, Butler has to go. That get hims close to $18 million per year with Jimmy, Dunleavy, Snell, and Boozer gone. I would be surprised if Butler and Melo are both on the Bulls next year.

Harden - 14 mill

Anthony - 20 mill?

Howard - 21 million

That is 55 million of 57 salary cap

2.2 to RFA parsons (for now, bird rights can allow them to go over cap)

57.2 million

9x500k = 4.5 million

61.7 million

What am I missing here?

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 04:31 PM)
sorry if this has been answered, but can the same salary effect from a s & t with boozer be accomplished with an amniesty?

Not sure what you mean.

Amnestying Boozer gets bulls at about 15 mill, and that's it. You can't go over salary and are signing outright.

The reason S&T is attractive is we can go over cap and get exceptions, but salary has to be within 125% of each other (i.e. we need boozer)

Amnestying boozer also means we do not get to use any exceptions because we are under cap, and also I believe you just forfeit them.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 11:43 AM)
Harden - 14 mill

Anthony - 20 mill?

Howard - 21 million

57.2 million

9x500k = 4.5 million

61.7 million

What am I missing here?

Cap is said to rise up to 63 million I believe. Not sure if that happened or not.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 04:47 PM)
I think, or at least I hope, they mean in terms of his big expiring coming off the books when Love is potentially a FA.

Oh, as a FA.

Otherwise I have not seen any indication that expiring contracts was what Minny was looking for.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 09:32 AM)
Whoa whoa whoa whoa...

BOOZER is a useful chip in a Love deal? Do they know Kahn left?

Useful is relative. I think they are looking at a mid-season Love deal and the fact that Boozer's contract would be very beneficial in allowing that to happen (and at that point, not all that expensive for a team like the Wolves, presuming they get other value).

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 09:43 AM)
Harden - 14 mill

Anthony - 20 mill?

Howard - 21 million

57.2 million

9x500k = 4.5 million

61.7 million

What am I missing here?

Does it work different for RFA's? You normally have to renounce your bird rights if you are going to sign FA's.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 04:49 PM)
Cap is said to rise up to 63 million I believe. Not sure if that happened or not.

Right, when is that official, pre July 10?

Because if that's the case, Bulls can clear up to 20 million unless I am missing something (I think I am with Rips contract)

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 04:53 PM)
Does it work different for RFA's? You normally have to renounce your bird rights if you are going to sign FA's.

Lowe had a explainer on this yesterday.

Basically, Parsons is only a 2.2 cap hit until signing an offer, but then immediately is the cap hit of the offer as soon as it's signed. However, if this happens post anthony, they can sign him over the cap because of some reason (maybe not birds rights?)

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 09:50 AM)
If Boozer's expiring contract is so valuable, why don't the Bulls just trade him somewhere and get something back the Knicks would like in a sign and trade?

I don't buy it.

Valuable is relative. It is not worth the $15M in cash for most organizations. You have to put in other sweetners (e.g., trade a Niko, Snell and picks and need Melo to really force the envelope) but come the trade deadline, the expiring is an asset for teams looking to clear cap space (e.g., teams looking to dump long term contracts (fairly valued contracts) for short term expiration).

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 12:07 PM)
I don't think this has been mentioned.... NBA trade machine says we have a 2M trade exception from the Deng trade and another 1M from the Teague trade....If I'm correct on how those work, that's another 3M to add into a S&T for Melo.

The combination of Boozer and Dunleavy contract should be enough to match Melo's contract even if it's max.

But the trade exceptions along with the James, Brewer and Amundson should be able to new them another quality piece if they want to go that route.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 12:07 PM)
I don't think this has been mentioned.... NBA trade machine says we have a 2M trade exception from the Deng trade and another 1M from the Teague trade....If I'm correct on how those work, that's another 3M to add into a S&T for Melo.

I think the Bulls used the $2 million trade exemption for Anthony randolph.