2014-2015 NBA thread

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If there's one thing everyone needs to do - it's take a deep breath and stop believing everything you read. The absolute facts we have are that the Chicago Bulls had, by far, the best-planned, best looking recruitment greeting to Melo of any of these teams. The banners on the side of the UC were gorgeous.

You know LA isn't going to adorn their building with Melo when the Black Mamba's coming today. So that'll be interesting.

Of all the players in the NBA, Joakim Noah is trying the hardest in recruiting. Hell, he posted a Carmelo Anthony baby picture to his Instagram today. He's hilarious.

In the end, if I were betting my house on it, I'd say Melo stays in New York. I'm proud of the effort the Bulls are putting forth, which started with Scottie and Larsa Pippen wooing Melo in France last week, and has continued throughoutt his entire week. You can bet your ass the Bulls find a way to meet up with Melo today while in LA.

I'm certain the Bulls are trying to improve, for once, by making bold moves. I am very pleased by this. If they don't get Melo, I'm quite certain they'll call Minnesota with an offer of Boozer's contract and a whole lot of goodies to get Kevin Love in here. I don't want that to happen, because Carmelo is a much better fit with this roster, but we'll see.

I look forward to it being two weeks from now.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 09:46 AM)
If there's one thing everyone needs to do - it's take a deep breath and stop believing everything you read. The absolute facts we have are that the Chicago Bulls had, by far, the best-planned, best looking recruitment greeting to Melo of any of these teams. The banners on the side of the UC were gorgeous.

You know LA isn't going to adorn their building with Melo when the Black Mamba's coming today. So that'll be interesting.

Of all the players in the NBA, Joakim Noah is trying the hardest in recruiting. Hell, he posted a Carmelo Anthony baby picture to his Instagram today. He's hilarious.

In the end, if I were betting my house on it, I'd say Melo stays in New York. I'm proud of the effort the Bulls are putting forth, which started with Scottie and Larsa Pippen wooing Melo in France last week, and has continued throughoutt his entire week. You can bet your ass the Bulls find a way to meet up with Melo today while in LA.

I'm certain the Bulls are trying to improve, for once, by making bold moves. I am very pleased by this. If they don't get Melo, I'm quite certain they'll call Minnesota with an offer of Boozer's contract and a whole lot of goodies to get Kevin Love in here. I don't want that to happen, because Carmelo is a much better fit with this roster, but we'll see.

I look forward to it being two weeks from now.

LA is a place I would not sleep on (if Jerry Buss were there, I'd have given the Bulls zero shot but thankfully Jim Buss is a buffoon). I don't think they will be a contender but Melo and Kobe are good friends and the organization has a crapton of banners to hoast and a hollywood marketplace for LaLa. But as a whole I agree with you. Glad you are back just in time to celebrate Melo coming to the Bulls!!!

I was proud about what Pax / Gar and more importantly Thibbs and Noah put together. I still wouldn't be surprised if the Bulls quietly put out feelers to Lebron's agent. I don't know how you couldn't at least ask.

Just remember - it isn't just Carmelo is either all about the money or not at all about the money. Each aspect of changing teams has a price. Winning is worth a certain amount of lost earnings, moving his family nullifies a certain amount of the benefits of winning, etc. He could reject the Bulls for their inability to make a max offer without him being greedy. If max is 4/96 and we offer 4/64, his turning us down does not mean that it was 4/96 or nothing.

In other news, I've been impressed with Melo in this process. When he left Denver, I saw him as a big baby who strong-armed his way out of town. Throughout the entire mess in NY, Melo has been quiet about his intentions and likely dissatisfaction with the Knicks. He hasn't been making public evaluations of each suitor. By all accounts, he has been incredibly good at keeping his private thoughts out of the rumor mill. Every rumor is "NBA executives think" or "people who are friends of Melo but haven't spoken to him in months believe."

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 09:52 AM)
Just remember - it isn't just Carmelo is either all about the money or not at all about the money. Each aspect of changing teams has a price. Winning is worth a certain amount of lost earnings, moving his family nullifies a certain amount of the benefits of winning, etc. He could reject the Bulls for their inability to make a max offer without him being greedy. If max is 4/96 and we offer 4/64, his turning us down does not mean that it was 4/96 or nothing.

In other news, I've been impressed with Melo in this process. When he left Denver, I saw him as a big baby who strong-armed his way out of town. Throughout the entire mess in NY, Melo has been quiet about his intentions and likely dissatisfaction with the Knicks. He hasn't been making public evaluations of each suitor. By all accounts, he has been incredibly good at keeping his private thoughts out of the rumor mill. Every rumor is "NBA executives think" or "people who are friends of Melo but haven't spoken to him in months believe."

I really want Melo.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 11:49 AM)
LA is a place I would not sleep on (if Jerry Buss were there, I'd have given the Bulls zero shot but thankfully Jim Buss is a buffoon). I don't think they will be a contender but Melo and Kobe are good friends and the organization has a crapton of banners to hoast and a hollywood marketplace for LaLa. But as a whole I agree with you. Glad you are back just in time to celebrate Melo coming to the Bulls!!!

I was proud about what Pax / Gar and more importantly Thibbs and Noah put together. I still wouldn't be surprised if the Bulls quietly put out feelers to Lebron's agent. I don't know how you couldn't at least ask.

If Melo wants a s***ty basketball situation, he can stay in New York. :D

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 11:49 AM)

Kobe has a year, maybe two left. I'd put LA under everyone else.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 09:55 AM)
Kobe has a year, maybe two left. I'd put LA under everyone else.

I think LA is above Dallas / Houston to be honest. Its LA. That is worth a lot and they will have tons of cap room to add stars after Kobe leaves too. LA can also offer more money then everyone but the Knicks.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 09:55 AM)
If Melo wants a s***ty basketball situation, he can stay in New York. :D

I wouldn't doubt the fact that Phil will bring in stars, I just think that means you have at least 1 more bad year (this year) followed by a better year (where you add a FA star or two) but really are 2 offseasons from being able to have the star power and depth needed to potentially win. That means Melo gives up another 2 years in his career and he's already on the wrong side of 30. However, he's such an incredibly gifted scorer that I think he'll be effective for a long time (given his strong shooting abilities).

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 11:52 AM)

Yes, but Carmelo was quoted as saying it had nothing to do about money, only about winning. If he goes back to the Knicks, he wasn't being honest.

He said he had enough to retire on now, and it isn't like the Bulls lowest offer makes him Link Card eligible.

There is nothing wrong with staying in NY and taking the money. What would be wrong is his quote from when the season ended.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 11:52 AM)

It has been stated that Melo wants Taj Gibson to remain on the Bulls. If that is the case, about $70 million is the best the Bulls can do. Now if Melo wants more $$, I'm sure that the Bulls would trade Taj Gibson and sign Melo for the $$. He can't have both though. He can't want more $$ and want the Bulls to keep Taj. Doesn't make sense.

Mike McGraw @McGrawDHBulls

Those reports that Melo was disappointed with Bulls' contract offer are probably bogus. No reason to talk $$ on 7/1. Too many variables.

Bulls' job for now is to convince Carmelo that Chicago is where he wants to play. They should be able to clear max cap room if they had to.

Spoke to an NBA insider recently who said don't underestimate some teams' willingness to sabotage/spread false info.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 12:03 PM)
I think LA is above Dallas / Houston to be honest. Its LA. That is worth a lot and they will have tons of cap room to add stars after Kobe leaves too. LA can also offer more money then everyone but the Knicks.

If he wanted the down the road plan, he could stay in NYC.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 12:25 PM)
It has been stated that Melo wants Taj Gibson to remain on the Bulls. If that is the case, about $70 million is the best the Bulls can do. Now if Melo wants more $$, I'm sure that the Bulls would trade Taj Gibson and sign Melo for the $$. He can't have both though. He can't want more $$ and want the Bulls to keep Taj. Doesn't make sense.

Yes he can. Who wouldn't want both of those things? It could end up being the reason he walks away.

He might want to play for the Thunder, but he doesn't want them to trade Durant to free up cap room. But he has to earn minimum salary if Durant stays. So he just doesn't come.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong but....can't the Bulls "offer" Melo the max via a sign and trade, AND still be able to keep Taj? It would necessitate moving Butler and maybe Niko, but in terms of cap flexibility, doesn't the sign and trade change up the numbers?

If true, Melo telling the Knicks he wants to play in Chicago is all the leverage Chicago really needs. If you're the Knicks, you'll do the sign and trade basically for any reasonable offer. Maybe they don't take Boozer, but Butler and a future pick? They're turning that down over just letting Melo walk? No chance.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 10:59 AM)
Someone correct me if i'm wrong but....can't the Bulls "offer" Melo the max via a sign and trade, AND still be able to keep Taj? It would necessitate moving Butler and maybe Niko, but in terms of cap flexibility, doesn't the sign and trade change up the numbers?

If true, Melo telling the Knicks he wants to play in Chicago is all the leverage Chicago really needs. If you're the Knicks, you'll do the sign and trade basically for any reasonable offer. Maybe they don't take Boozer, but Butler and a future pick? They're turning that down over just letting Melo walk? No chance.

Yes; As long as the Knicks are willing to make it work. They can offer about $20M without trading Boozer (amnestying him). Knicks still can offer most guaranteed because they can offer an extra year. Technically, they would not have to move Butler or Niko, problem is the Knicks may not be willing to tango. MJD, Snell, and all the other non-guaranteeds in a S&T would allow Bulls to get close to $20M (depending on where cap goes). If he wants more, you'd need to find other ways to make things work. Bulls obviously would prefer to use Boozer as a chip (vs. amnestying him).

This is per Mark/Mike Deeks.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 01:00 PM)
Yes; As long as the Knicks are willing to make it work. They can offer about $20M without trading Boozer (amnestying him). Knicks still can offer most guaranteed because they can offer an extra year.

Right, so Taj, Melo and a max deal is totally doable. Again, the Knicks aren't going to just let Melo walk for nothing, just like Toronto and Cleveland didn't let Lebron and Bosh walk for nothing in 2010.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 11:01 AM)
Right, so Taj, Melo and a max deal is totally doable. Again, the Knicks aren't going to just let Melo walk for nothing, just like Toronto and Cleveland didn't let Lebron and Bosh walk for nothing in 2010.

That has always been my angle. If he wants to come here, they can figure the rest out. Which is why, to McGraw's tweets, all of this is kind of a moot point. Bulls probably spent very little time talking money and focused more about how they will win championships together and why Chicago is the place for him to be and where he can take his legacy to the next level.

Technically, if Knicks were to tango, Bulls could keep Taj / Butler, give Melo the max, and sign either Niko or a player like Pau (using MLE) (+ get someone like DJ back as our back-up on the BAE). If you can't get DJ, you can definitely bring Kirk back.