2014-2015 NBA thread

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 09:34 AM)
Eh, I am not ok with just trying. They need to make a free agent splash and they continually whiff.

I am in the minority but I think a 23 year old Lance Stephenson at the 2, to go with Dougie McBuckets and the top euro player (along with bringing back DJ) would still be pretty good and would be a team that could win it all. Favored to make finals, depends on what happens with Lebron, but that is a very very good team.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did anyone see the article where Fran Fraschilla said Mirotic, if he was in this draft, would have gone top 4? Said he is as NBA ready as Parker. He also said he isn't Nowitzki, at least not yet, but right now he is a young Turkoglu.

Edited by Dick Allen

No matter what is stretching it. Lebrons team will be better. If Pacers retain Lance I'll put them ahead of us easily. Not sold on being better than Washington. Nets are in the discussion a year older but healthier and rid of Kidd. I'd put us ahead of them though.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 04:30 PM)
I thought you laughed at the notion of including someone like Noah. I would move Gibson, Mirotic, and our picks for Love. No problem about it. I think you need stars to win and would offer that. However, I don't know if that is enough.

I laughed at how quick bulls fans are to include Noah. Ultimately I don't think we'd need to include him.

I would also have liked to have traded for Aflallo as an asset for love. Instead we have Doug McDermott, whom I really like. But we did not view the draft assets as something to use in a trade for love.

Let me put it this way, Danny Ainge, with the bulls assets, would have Kevin Love right now.

Can't wait for the dominoes to fall tomorrow. I think at this point Lebron to Cleveland is the most likely scenario. Cavs would do Wiggins for Love in a heart beat if they want to win this year, not two years from now.

That would make Melo to Bulls in a S&T all the more likely (24 hours ago Bulls were out, but then 24 hours ago Lebron still might have end up back to the Heat) to shift the East super power from Pacer Heat to Bulls and Cavs.

Since Bulls and Thunder were considered front runners for Gasol, and Gasol was listening the Thunder's pitch for the MLE, he might just choose the Bulls even if it's for our MLE, as Rose, Melo, Noah and Butler trumps Durant, Westbrook and Ibaka in a weaker conference.

If we do end up with Gasol on a 3-4 year deal, that pretty much makes either Taj or Mirotic expendable, and Mirotic would have more value and the easier one to trade. I would like to see something like Mirotic and MDJ for Alec Burke or Klay Thompson.

Noah-Gasol-Melo-Butler-Rose with Taj, McD's, and Klay/Burke off the bench should be able to compete with the team they are building over in Cleveland.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 11:25 AM)
We offered Taj and Snell for love.

I'll leave that to you to decide if that is a good offer.

I don't think anything was ever officially offered since Melo has been their primary target. But regardless, gutting the team for Love makes no sense. They're potentially on the verge of getting Melo without doing anything but getting rid of excess weight on the roster AND keeping young guys for the future. How is that not the better front office move?

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 09:35 AM)
No matter what is stretching it. Lebrons team will be better. If Pacers retain Lance I'll put them ahead of us easily. Not sold on being better than Washington. Nets are in the discussion a year older but healthier and rid of Kidd. I'd put us ahead of them though.

With Rose, this team is better then all of the teams you mention. Without Rose, probably in their pack with the Pacers being better.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 11:36 AM)
I laughed at how quick bulls fans are to include Noah. Ultimately I don't think we'd need to include him.

I would also have liked to have traded for Aflallo as an asset for love. Instead we have Doug McDermott, whom I really like. But we did not view the draft assets as something to use in a trade for love.

Let me put it this way, Danny Ainge, with the bulls assets, would have Kevin Love right now.

LOL. Ainge has BETTER assets than the Bulls (Rondo + picks galore) and HE can't get Love.

It is remarkable to me, if the Cavs sign lebron, how that completely inept franchise inepted themselves into a championship. Nobody in the NBA has failed upward better than them.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 04:38 PM)
LOL. Ainge has BETTER assets than the Bulls (Rondo + picks galore) and HE can't get Love.

Yes, Rondo is a very valuable asset to the timberwolves.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 11:35 AM)
I am in the minority but I think a 23 year old Lance Stephenson at the 2, to go with Dougie McBuckets and the top euro player (along with bringing back DJ) would still be pretty good and would be a team that could win it all. Favored to make finals, depends on what happens with Lebron, but that is a very very good team.

I can see where a team that won 48 games basically adds 2 lottery players in a draft considered strong, and a former MVP who is still only about 25 would be considered exceptional. (Think if Hahn was able to add the baseball equivalent to an 87 win team).

But I do think if they whiff on the big names, at least one of Gar/Pax has to go. It might not be their fault, but it is too many whiffs. You have to bring someone here who can get guys to say yes.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 09:36 AM)
I don't think anything was ever officially offered since Melo has been their primary target. But regardless, gutting the team for Love makes no sense. They're potentially on the verge of getting Melo without doing anything but getting rid of excess weight on the roster AND keeping young guys for the future. How is that not the better front office move?

I think the Bulls have never been serious for Love, not yet. They know he's not going anywhere yet and are more focused on Melo, who quite frankly is a superior fit. If I could chose one or the other, I'm chosing Melo. However, the Cleveland stuff may blow up our chances at Love. I don't quite think things are as close to done as indicated and I still don't know whether Love would resign to stay in Cleveland (even with LBJ there). I think a lot of stuff happens after Lebron's meeting with Riley and company.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 11:38 AM)
With Rose, this team is better then all of the teams you mention. Without Rose, probably in their pack with the Pacers being better.

Without Rose I don't see the Bulls being better than any of the teams I mentioned. With Rose and no other moves I'm still taking Lebrons team easily and the Pacers too.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 11:39 AM)
Yes, Rondo is a very valuable asset to the timberwolves.

Over a PG that can't shoot? Yes. Plus Rondo is a tradeable asset they could send off to a contender for someone else.

But the picks for a rebuilding franchise are MUCH more valuable than a 6th man and two late 1st round picks.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 09:40 AM)
I can see where a team that won 48 games basically adds 2 lottery players in a draft considered strong, and a former MVP who is still only about 25 would be considered exceptional. (Think if Hahn was able to add the baseball equivalent to an 87 win team).

But I do think if they whiff on the big names, at least one of Gar/Pax has to go. It might not be their fault, but it is too many whiffs. You have to bring someone here who can get guys to say yes.

And in your scenario you aren't factoring in the fact that we have cap space still to add (in addition to what you are already mentioning). Dick, this is why I feel you are one of the sites best posters. You are always a calming spirit with a big picture mentality.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 09:41 AM)
Over a PG that can't shoot? Yes. Plus Rondo is a tradeable asset they could send off to a contender for someone else.

But the picks for a rebuilding franchise are MUCH more valuable than a 6th man and two late 1st round picks.

Draft picks are draft picks. Unless they are top picks, they are pretty much garbage. A year ago people were touting the Lakers for having so many picks. What did they do with those picks, not a darn thing worthwhile, because unless you have lotto picks, it doesn't mean much, not for bad teams trying to get better.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 11:40 AM)
I think the Bulls have never been serious for Love, not yet. They know he's not going anywhere yet and are more focused on Melo, who quite frankly is a superior fit. If I could chose one or the other, I'm chosing Melo. However, the Cleveland stuff may blow up our chances at Love. I don't quite think things are as close to done as indicated and I still don't know whether Love would resign to stay in Cleveland (even with LBJ there). I think a lot of stuff happens after Lebron's meeting with Riley and company.

Given Kyrie's new deal, could Love get a max or near max contract if Lebron also gets a max?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 09:42 AM)
Given Kyrie's new deal, could Love get a max or near max contract if Lebron also gets a max?

Presume that wouldn't be an issue cause they would acquire him under his current terms and then extend him.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 11:42 AM)
Draft picks are draft picks. Unless they are top picks, they are pretty much garbage. A year ago people were touting the Lakers for having so many picks. What did they do with those picks, not a darn thing worthwhile, because unless you have lotto picks, it doesn't mean much, not for bad teams trying to get better.

Sure, but if you're trading your franchise guy you either want an established talent back that you can market (Klay Thompson, Rondo) or picks to rebuild. Again, the point being Boston has better assets than the Bulls at this point, and Ainge isn't bringing in Love either.

@suntimes_hoops: There are stories out there that are pushing the idea that Carmelo Anthony was somewhat put-off by Rose's low-key attitude last Tuesday...

@suntimes_hoops: ... Noah and Taj even spoke to Anthony about how humble Rose is and that he just wants to win. Anthony seemed to get it.

I've long said one reason I can't ever get too down on Rose is how much his teammates have gone to bat for him. It talks about the kind of character and team player he truly is. Seems like you will never hear a bad thing about him from our lockerroom and that really says something given all that went on the past couple of years. Heck, you saw just how emotional Noah was when it all happened. I think having someone like Noah on our team is extremely beneficial given how open and warm he is.

I really do think Melo is coming here, unless there is a possibility for him and Lebron to get together in NY in a year, in which case, he'll stay put, get his money and team up with his boy a year from now.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 09:44 AM)
Sure, but if you're trading your franchise guy you either want an established talent back that you can market (Klay Thompson, Rondo) or picks to rebuild. Again, the point being Boston has better assets than the Bulls at this point, and Ainge isn't bringing in Love either.

Rondo doesn't do Minny that much good and I don't know how much value he has on the open trade market (I think he's a great player but it seems like its hit or miss what teams feel about him, especially in this era where there are a lot of good point guards). Golden States offer centered around Klay and Lee is significantly better if the Wolves don't want to rebuild.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 11:48 AM)
@suntimes_hoops: There are stories out there that are pushing the idea that Carmelo Anthony was somewhat put-off by Rose's low-key attitude last Tuesday...

@suntimes_hoops: ... Noah and Taj even spoke to Anthony about how humble Rose is and that he just wants to win. Anthony seemed to get it.

I've long said one reason I can't ever get too down on Rose is how much his teammates have gone to bat for him. It talks about the kind of character and team player he truly is. Seems like you will never hear a bad thing about him from our lockerroom and that really says something given all that went on the past couple of years. Heck, you saw just how emotional Noah was when it all happened. I think having someone like Noah on our team is extremely beneficial given how open and warm he is.

I really do think Melo is coming here, unless there is a possibility for him and Lebron to get together in NY in a year, in which case, he'll stay put, get his money and team up with his boy a year from now.

But I thought Rose didnt even talk to him or see him, right?