2014-2015 NBA thread

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 05:04 PM)
Houston is not matching on Parsons.

What a terrible off-season for the Rockets. Ariza at $8 million a year is nice, but I truly doubt he'll be the player he was last year. He's had 2 good years in his career and both came in contract years.

Wow, that was an awful off-season for Morey. He should literally be fired. Yeah, Bulls should have cleared all their space and just hoped. If Gar / Pax did what Morey did this off-season, wow is all I could say. No one had a worse off-season then Houston.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 06:28 PM)
Wow. DJ Augustin gets 2 year 6 million and Kirk gets just under it. This is bad to be honest. Kirk gets way more than I thought and Augustin gets way less.

EDIT: Augustin to Detroit.

This is really bad. Bulls needed to find a way to bring both in.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 06:32 PM)
FWIW, Real Plus Minus hated Augustin. Apparently, his defense was awful.

It was. Bulls need another back-up though and a quality one. We can't play Kirk starters minutes. Kirk is perfect if we have another back-up PG and we can get him to

Also who downplayed McDermott in the Summer League?

I don't want anyone to think I'm not excited about watching the bulls. Our spacing with certain lineups will be much improved. I'm going to watch regardless, I'm going to convince myself we can beat the top teams regardless, but this was the last FA period (next years FA sucks) with our core in their primes. It's hard to even anticipate what Rose will be. If he truly is 2011 Rose, then the game has changed. But I worry, even if the heavy post offense will destroy in the reg. season, better teams can deny that ball going to the post and it will be up to exclusively rose to make that team offense work.

I'm looking at our team, I don't see how there are more defensive holes than last year. Any subtractions would at least be lateral, and Rose/Kirk defensively is much better than Augustin/Kirk. In fact I think defensively we've upgraded.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 07:23 AM)
The next top of the line in his prime free agent the Bulls sign will be the first. If you or they are counting on making cap space in the future to sign these types, you and they are only kidding themselves. Rarely do these types even move.

Fraschilla said Mirotic would have been top 4 in this draft and says right now he is a young Turkoglu. McBuckets scored 31 in a summer league game. It's totally downplayed. That is 2 lottery picks in this draft where most of complainers thought the Bulls should tank to get a lottery pick. Yet they complain when they trade their 2 picks to get a lottery pick. Rose is coming back. Gasol put up 20 with 19 boards agains the Defensive Player of the Year last year. Pardon me while I think that more than offsets the loss of DJ Augustin. The Bulls weren't going to get Melo and unless they totally gut their roster, no shot at Love. Be realistic. This team won 48, added 2 lottery picks, a 26 year old former MVP, and a possible HOFer with some gas left in the tank. That's not bad. The Heat isn't going to be the Heat. The Bulls, health provided, have a decent shot at the finals.

Great post.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 07:47 AM)
I think Augustin is basically a Piston after agreeing to 2yrs/6mil

Sessions would be nice pickup tho, along the lines of vet min which is basically all the Bulls can afford now anyway.

I wasn't around at all yesterday so didn't realize Augustin had signed. I agree with the posters that said with a healthy Rose, Hinrich is the better fit, however, we need to plan for Rose to miss some games and need another solid back-up who is capable of helping from the scoring perspective. This team is significantly improved from a year ago though.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 09:42 AM)
I could legitimately disagree with some of those, some of those are valid comebacks...but the bolded is on another level. Seriously, you actually wrote that without laughing?

I agree you have to temper expectations based on summer league play, HOWEVER, if you watched the game there was reason for optimism. He was hitting threes off pick and rolls and off curls. He was hitting post up shots and fall aways. He was driving and hitting floaters. He got to the FT line 12 times and made all of them. And he had a decent dunk. Obviously the level of competition is down, but he was showcasing the variety of ways that he can score.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 09:50 AM)
Wow, that was an awful off-season for Morey. He should literally be fired. Yeah, Bulls should have cleared all their space and just hoped. If Gar / Pax did what Morey did this off-season, wow is all I could say. No one had a worse off-season then Houston.

But I thought we was being anointed on here as the king of the offseason??

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 07:52 AM)

I don't want anyone to think I'm not excited about watching the bulls. Our spacing with certain lineups will be much improved. I'm going to watch regardless, I'm going to convince myself we can beat the top teams regardless, but this was the last FA period (next years FA sucks) with our core in their primes. It's hard to even anticipate what Rose will be. If he truly is 2011 Rose, then the game has changed. But I worry, even if the heavy post offense will destroy in the reg. season, better teams can deny that ball going to the post and it will be up to exclusively rose to make that team offense work.

I'm looking at our team, I don't see how there are more defensive holes than last year. Any subtractions would at least be lateral, and Rose/Kirk defensively is much better than Augustin/Kirk. In fact I think defensively we've upgraded.

The Spurs didn't have a ton of "scorers". They have a great passing offense with a lot of shooters. We will have arguably the two best passing big men in the league at times in the same center court, one who has a very good post game as well + Taj who is a solid post player (although not near the same level of a passer) and we actually have shooters who should help create space. This is a different offense then the one Miami shut down. Also, that Miami team doesn't exist anymore.

But it's the same in that there is only 1 ballhandler.

If anything it's like the Bulls are trying to recreate the washington offense, though missing Beal.

But we don't know, perhaps contract year Jimmy is the best contract year player since Ariza.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 09:52 AM)

Summer league should be downplayed. Playing well in summer league doesn't indicate anything as to how a player will perform during the NBA season. If a guy does play poorly its cause for concern though so it is nice to see McDermott perform well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 09:42 AM)
I could legitimately disagree with some of those, some of those are valid comebacks...but the bolded is on another level. Seriously, you actually wrote that without laughing?

Yes I did. If the Bulls drafted someone else and they had the exact same game, excitement. The guy is exactly what the Bulls need.

By the way, the Hinrich resigning is another example of the front office being lock-step with Thibbs. Thibbs said from the beginning he wanted Hinrich back and that was a priority move for him and low and behold Hinrich is back. Gar also indicated that was part of their plan too. So both Dougie McBuckets and Hinrich, two guys Thibbs was very vocal about wanting, are in Chicago. Seems to indicate some coesion there (not to mention all the coordinated efforts between Gar/Pax/Thibbs on the Melo chase).

I'm pretty sure every year players have good summer league games and everyone here says something along the lines of "hey it's great that he had a good game but it's summer league." That's nothing special for McDermott.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 04:01 PM)
Summer league should be downplayed. Playing well in summer league doesn't indicate anything as to how a player will perform during the NBA season. If a guy does play poorly its cause for concern though so it is nice to see McDermott perform well.

Rose played kind of poorly.

But you could tell Erik Murphy was DOA in summer league. Teague's improvement in year 2 was okay, but not great.

McDermott is nice to see because he is draining 3s from 25-6 feet consistently with a hand in his face. We can get him open at that depth, or if they have to guard him there that opens up the floor. That is good news regardless of whether he can get you 18 ppg and be our offensive savior, if he can drain 3s like that it helps.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 10:01 AM)

No, but it should put the next Adam Morrison thing to sleep. But it won't. I understand that. I actually think some people would rather the team they supposedly root for suck.

If Gary Harris or someone else someone on this board wanted instead of trading up for McDermott, tossed in 31 yesterday, I'm pretty sure it would have been pointed out how the Bulls totally blew it. We all know that.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 04:09 PM)
No, but it should put the next Adam Morrison thing to sleep. But it won't. I understand that. I actually think some people would rather the team they supposedly root for suck.

If Gary Harris or someone else someone on this board wanted instead of trading up for McDermott, tossed in 31 yesterday, I'm pretty sure it would have been pointed out how the Bulls totally blew it. We all know that.

Gary Harris scored 32 points his first game and nobody said this.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 04:13 PM)
It is believed the Bulls still have their BAE to use on their back-up PG.

Where are you reading this? Not from KC Johnson, who pretty explicitly stated BAE went to Hinrich.

Unless we traded MDJ, which I hope we haven't because we have no 3, I don't see where that money is coming from.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 10:14 AM)
Adam Morrison put up solid stats in the summer league in his first year. 20 ppg, shot 55% from the field and 60% from 3 while playing only 30 minutes per game, 5 rebounds per game. Best game was 26 points, 9/15 from the field, 4/6 from 3, 6 rebounds, 0 TO's in 29 minutes.

That's why I scoffed at the "McDermott was great in his opening summer league outing" a heckuva lot more than anything else.

McDermott is a heck of a lot better than a lot of people are giving him credit for. He is thought to be the sterotypical tall white unathletic shooter. It's just wrong. He's not Larry Bird. But he's not Adam Morrison. There was some stat about how many contested shots he took and made. He did a lot more than hit wide open shots.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 10:09 AM)

There's literally one person on this board comparing Doug to Morrison.

You keep harping on McDermott. Its kind of funny because I was one of the few who talked about him BEFORE the draft. Hes a nice player, the problem is, he isnt an ideal SF and cant play SG. So you add Gasol, Mirotic and McDermott, but you still didnt add anyone who can play SF/SG and create with the ball.

Its not about the player, its the fit. As I before the Bulls drafted, said that McDermott would be good on the right team. He still can be good, the Bulls just needed something else and given the additions of Gasol/Mirotic its even more clear that a SG/SG and a PG were more important.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 08:15 AM)
Where are you reading this? Not from KC Johnson, who pretty explicitly stated BAE went to Hinrich.

Unless we traded MDJ, which I hope we haven't because we have no 3, I don't see where that money is coming from.

Sam Smith article indicated Hinrich took less then BAE. No one knows the money situation for certain yet though.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 08:20 AM)
You keep harping on McDermott. Its kind of funny because I was one of the few who talked about him BEFORE the draft. Hes a nice player, the problem is, he isnt an ideal SF and cant play SG. So you add Gasol, Mirotic and McDermott, but you still didnt add anyone who can play SF/SG and create with the ball.

Its not about the player, its the fit. As I before the Bulls drafted, said that McDermott would be good on the right team. He still can be good, the Bulls just needed something else and given the additions of Gasol/Mirotic its even more clear that a SG/SG and a PG were more important.

Butler and Snell can play both positions so with McDermott, it is fine if he just plays the 3.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 11:09 AM)

In the 2006 summer league, Morrison put up 25 ppg, shot >90% from the FT line, etc. Actually scored at a higher rate per game/per minute than McDermott has done so far.