2014-2015 NBA thread

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 01:20 PM)
Assuming, as we must do, that Rose is healthy, what is the Bulls glaring weakness?

The biggest one I see is the lack of a dynamic wing player like Lance Stephenson, other than that, I don't really see major holes. Rose remaining healthy of course, which is a big if. :(

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think the Bulls are the clear favorite (assuming Cavs without Love). They won 48 games without their best player. They lost nothing of value. They added tons of scoring.

With Lebron, Kyrie and Wiggins, you don't have a jump shooter to count on. One of the grantland podcasts I listened to this week said Kyrie is the 2nd worst jump shooting guard in the league. So what happens in crunch time when you double up Lebron? Who scores? Whose the Ray Allen/Chris Bosh on that team ready to hit that big shot? I guess you could say Mike Miller, but is he going to hold up through another long season/playoff run?

That's why Love could be huge. You would lose the defensive capabilities that Wiggins brings, but you add a big time shooter to the mix.

I just want to say after listening to Pau and Nikos press conference, Spanish newspaper reporters are hilarious

"Hi, i am from (spanish newspaper name), Welcome to Chicago! I want to know what you feel about Brazils national soccer team?"

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 02:20 PM)
Assuming, as we must do, that Rose is healthy, what is the Bulls glaring weakness?

Aside from general shooting, they have only 1 playmaker and based on last year's cup of coffee I can't count on that playmaker to be anywhere near his previous self. At least for part of the season they're going to have to rely on ball movement and floor spacing in order to generate scoring and I haven't been impressed with their ability to do so recently.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 01:20 PM)

True second and third options in the offense who can create their own scoring opportunities. The Bulls are better offensively, but still aren't "good".

offense still stands around and watches rose, bad offball movement, only one player who can create off the dribble, and the worst spacing in the league.

We hope that's fixed, but we don't know. We are 2 months removed from scoring 68 points in a playoff game.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 02:20 PM)
offense still stands around and watches rose, bad offball movement, only one player who can create off the dribble, and the worst spacing in the league.

We hope that's fixed, but we don't know. We are 2 months removed from scoring 68 points in a playoff game.

This is just guessing. This is a different team, the squad that steps on the floor in a few months is going to be quite different than that playoff team

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
Depends. What if in the fourth the only lineup that Thibs trusts is Rose Kirk Jimmy Taj Noah

*shudders*

Hopefully by the all star break, snell or McBuckets will be there.

All this team needs is one of A. Butler or Hinrichs to return to their 2013 form (Yes Hinrich, he shot 39% from beyond the arc) or B. Tony Snells summer league range to translate even in the slightest bit.

Of course I hope all of that happens, but even if 1 happens they should be golden.

I have faith in Mike and Doug to shoot well from beyond the arc at the 3. Having a 2nd shooter out there will really help.....Nikos game translating will also help a ton for the 2nd unit. The spacing of a Rose-Butler/Snell/Hinrich-DMD/MJD-Niko-Pau/Noah lineup should be fantastic. When they need offense that should work. Defensively we know they can throw out a solid unit as well.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 03:26 PM)
From today's press conference, seriously wondering if Thibs is thinking about Niko at the 3 in some lineups.

If Thibs thinks he can hang there great. Doubt he'll throw him out there at the 3 if he can't....No clue what to expect of him defensively.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 04:02 PM)
The dude over at hoopshype, who apparently scouted Mirotic, thinks the no-defense claims are unfounded. He had some stat where in pure one-on-one situations Mirotic got a steal 25% of the time. That has to be good, right?

That stat is almost certainly incorrect. Mirotic averaged 1.1 steals per game so unless teams never attacked him there is no way that is true.

I think the no-defense thing was assumed because he's Euro, he has active hands and hustles, he'll just have trouble with getting backed down, and how many PFs even do that anymore? Just Booze Cruise.

Cant sleep so I'll post some s*** no one really cares about....

USA todays "9 players who gained the most from the summer league"

Bulls SG Tony Snell and SF Doug McDermott

The Bulls' first-round picks in 2013 (Snell) and 2014 (McDermott) formed summer league's most exciting wing duo. Snell is averaging 20.0 points a game, McDermott 18.0. While McDermott has been the more efficient of the two, both should be good role players who can space the floor. The Bulls no longer seem to have an deficiency of offensive options.

God I hope it translates....plzzzzzzzzz

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 04:26 PM)
From today's press conference, seriously wondering if Thibs is thinking about Niko at the 3 in some lineups.

Someone asked him if he was gonna have a Noah-Gasol-Gibson lineup in the frontcourt and he said no, you could do that in the 90s but not now. Neither Gasol nor Gibson could defend the 3 so that'd leave Mirotic, if he has the quickness to defend perimeter players - which I have no idea if he can.

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 1m

Just heard Bulls are indeed in process of finalizing deal to sign free-agent guard Aaron Brooks to add some scoring off the bench

Fantastic.

Gonna be real interesting to see how all the minutes are spread out next year.

Edited by scs787

Brooks is going to sign. He will have a decent year, raising his value to other teams, then the Bulls will let him go to use the cap space elsewhere because he signed with someone for 3-4 million a year, Bulls fans will get really mad about how stupid it was while they quietly replace him with another player exactly like him for the minimum. Then the cycle starts over. Wash,rinse, repeat.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 19, 2014 -> 06:16 PM)
Brooks is going to sign. He will have a decent year, raising his value to other teams, then the Bulls will let him go to use the cap space elsewhere because he signed with someone for 3-4 million a year, Bulls fans will get really mad about how stupid it was while they quietly replace him with another player exactly like him for the minimum. Then the cycle starts over. Wash,rinse, repeat.

While true, I'd still take Nate over Hinrich and DJ over Hinrich. The problem is Hinrich. I'll already take Aaron over Hinrich.