2014-2015 NBA thread

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 1, 2014 -> 11:23 PM)
Is Paul George really in need of everyone's prayers? He got a bad injury, apparently some people get squeamish to look at it, but he's going to be okay. He's not dead. It's dubious to say his career is really threatened by this. He'll be back and pretty much the same guy.

He's gonna miss out on his chance to make millions. Oh wait...

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 03:41 PM)
Espn saying he's out season. Maybe I'm downplaying this but that seems premature.

man, I saw the replay and it was gut wrenching brutal scene. I feel sorry for him and hope the best.

I guess someone with medical brackground will know more, but I think a plate and screws will be inserted. I

can imagine that this is a career ending injury.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 10:28 AM)
That allows for the heroic early comeback narrative

Did PG sleep with your sister, get her prego and bounce? That was a horrific f***ing injury. If this happens to MJ in 1992 that would be the end of nba players competing in these worthless international competitions.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 11:59 AM)
Did PG sleep with your sister, get her prego and bounce? That was a horrific f***ing injury. If this happens to MJ in 1992 that would be the end of nba players competing in these worthless international competitions.

It was ugly as hell but he'll be fine.

I have nothing against Paul George, it's just not THAT big of a deal. If he had torn his ACL, there wouldn't be nearly so much fretting about it despite it being a more serious injury. They're acting like the dude died. This happens to soccer players all the time. PG will be fine and unless they want to go Rose level with the recovery, he should be back before the season ends.

And yes, it will be a bad thing if this kills international basketball. It drives interest around the world and a game like last night was a lot of fun to watch. Of the four major sports, basketball is by far the least likely for players to get season ending injuries. That's why Paul George is the first guy to have an injury of real note while playing for Team USA

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 01:01 PM)
I have nothing against Paul George, it's just not THAT big of a deal. If he had torn his ACL, there wouldn't be nearly so much fretting about it despite it being a more serious injury. They're acting like the dude died. This happens to soccer players all the time. PG will be fine and unless they want to go Rose level with the recovery, he should be back before the season ends.

And yes, it will be a bad thing if this kills international basketball. It drives interest around the world and a game like last night was a lot of fun to watch. Of the four major sports, basketball is by far the least likely for players to get season ending injuries. That's why Paul George is the first guy to have an injury of real note while playing for Team USA

I think the reaction is based on the gruesome nature of the injury. That and a broken leg is really rare whereas knee tears happen every year.

Being a hitter in baseball is much less riskier.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 06:01 PM)

the injury is not life threatening > yes I agree, he is not like JR Richards who died while warming up

for a game. the scene is plain and simple horrible. those visual scene of him breaking his leg is what

I believe many are talking about. in addition, while we are fans of the sports doesn't mean we wish the

worst and he still had a career ahead of him. now everything is a question mark.

I feel for him that is all.

I agree. The reason these guys are where they are is because they played and played and played. If NBA players only played in games "that matter" and the better players where always taken out when the game should be decided, for fear of injury, they would never improve and every NBA game would be painful to watch. MJ used to play pick up games at the health club in Illinois Center, which I think is closed now. And from what I was told, he even took those games seriously. How awesome would it have been to play in some of those?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 03:55 PM)
the injury is not life threatening > yes I agree, he is not like JR Richards who died while warming up

for a game. the scene is plain and simple horrible. those visual scene of him breaking his leg is what

I believe many are talking about. in addition, while we are fans of the sports doesn't mean we wish the

worst and he still had a career ahead of him. now everything is a question mark.

I feel for him that is all.

JR Richard is still alive. He had a stroke but it did not kill him. He even attempted a comeback but was not successful.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 10:42 PM)
JR Richard is still alive. He had a stroke but it did not kill him. He even attempted a comeback but was not successful.

yeah, I am wrong, he was playing catch before the start of the game and collapse. I don't know why

I thought of him being dead..... I am glad he survive.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 3, 2014 -> 10:37 AM)
So it sounds like that KLove to Cleveland is basically done, they're just waiting until August 23rd now.

Am I way off base when I say it just doesn't scare me that much? Can Love and Kyrie play 2nd fiddle? I guess I'm not convinced.

Could be wrong.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 3, 2014 -> 10:52 AM)
Am I way off base when I say it just doesn't scare me that much? Can Love and Kyrie play 2nd fiddle? I guess I'm not convinced.

Could be wrong.

I think when it is LeBron or MJ or Bird or Magic, someone of that ilk, I think guys like Love and Irving can play 2nd fiddle. Someone a little closer to their level, and there could be problems. I could be wrong too. But it is obviously LeBron's team.

There shouldn't be issues offensively. LeBron seems to like taking 16 shots a game now and while Love is high-usage in terms of shots/free throws, he doesn't need the ball for 8 seconds at a time. A lot of his attempts are catch-and-shoot or off rebounds. Kyrie will have to scale back, but he should benefit from having two superior threats on the floor instead of every set revolving around him dribbling into a (frequently contested) shot.

Defense is where they might have issues. I suppose Waiters might mess things up to, he seems to think he's a lot better than he is.

Edited by ZoomSlowik