2014-2015 NBA thread

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 12:41 PM)
Healthy =/= ready to play in the NBA at his normal level.

Yes, maybe he should have tried to come back in 2013. But I really doubt the Bulls were pushing him. He was what, 23 when that happened? With his career ahead of him? That's not an easy decision to make from either side.

Yes but that doesn't answer the question as to why the Rose people didn't want the Bulls to say he is out the rest of the season. Reggie wanted the speculation which made Derrick, and his 110% quotes and the rest look bad.

One thing Reggie and the Bulls have to recognize is Derrick shouldn't be standing in front of a microphone winging it.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 06:34 PM)
he's getting paid to play. when a player can dictate when he plays and doesn't play and still gets paid without repercussions, then yes that is holding the team hostage.

This isn't a scenario we are even living in, getting upset about this stuff is just ridiculous. Sports fandom in 21st century is 90% psychoanalyzing bulls***. Rose sat an extra day with 2 SPRAINED ANKLES. He evne tried playing on it the day before. He isn't holding the bulls hostage.

Meanwhile the Bulls almost killed a player 2 years ago. How's that for corrupted power.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 01:52 PM)
This isn't a scenario we are even living in, getting upset about this stuff is just ridiculous. Sports fandom in 21st century is 90% psychoanalyzing bulls***. Rose sat an extra day with 2 SPRAINED ANKLES. He evne tried playing on it the day before. He isn't holding the bulls hostage.

Meanwhile the Bulls almost killed a player 2 years ago. How's that for corrupted power.

I am not nearly as annoyed at Rose for playing with 2 sprained ankles as I am at the Bulls training staff for letting him play when he wasn't healthy enough to avoid reaggrivating them.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 12:53 PM)
Wait, so what'd Derrick say?

"When I sit out it's not because of this year. I'm thinking about long term. I'm thinking about after I'm done with basketball."

"Having graduations to go to, having meetings to go to, I don't want to be in my meetings all sore."

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 12:48 PM)
By the accounts at the time, the only way he was going to get comfortable playing in games was to play in games, once it had healed the risk of having the same injury again were no more than they were on the day he originally hurt it. So with that one, the fact that he didn't come back really was frustrating.

The other thing to remember is that he potentially gave away a chance at getting his first ring by not coming back. That team in 2013 could have had a shot in the playoffs with the full Butler/Rose/Noah/Deng/BoozerGibson lineup, the thing missing was Rose.

I don't totally disagree, but I'm not going to get mad at him or the team for that decision. That's a very serious injury and he's still a very young player on a long-term, franchise level contract. They were being cautious, maybe overly so, but I don't think that's proof that he's a player that routinely refuses to play through pain/injuries.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 12:52 PM)

this isn't about sprained ankles.

and yes, I agree the Bulls handled that situation very poorly but that's not the discussion at hand here. we are talking about a player deciding when he should and shouldn't play because he's worried about life after basketball. if you don't see that as a problem, then I don't know what else to say

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 12:51 PM)
It's a reach because you're taking issue with those citing the quote as proof of his stupidity, yet citing it as proof of him having some kind of enlightenment. As you say, they both involve assumptions. To me, given his history of less than stellar PR moves, the former assumption just seems a bit more likely.

I'm upset that fans are being meatheads about this thinking the guy isn't human and should just tear himself apart for the game or for the Bulls because they pay him. While on the other hand fans also get pissed when the owners over-use their players and think of them as nothing more than assets.

On top of that, step back and think about what he's saying - he's not going to kill himself anymore because he doesn't want to break his body and end up with issues when he's done playing basketball. Is that REALLY a terrible thing to say? Do you think he's the only athlete to think that way?

Yeah, he's a moron for saying it publicly. He's a moron for being so casual about and saying something like soreness is a concern. But why are we taking him SO literally given statements he's said in the past? He's a basketball player, not a Rhodes scholar.

And I still say, on top of all of this, he's saying that he's not going to go crazy anymore when he plays, and that's what most of us have asked him/wanted him to do anyway.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 01:02 PM)

and yes, I agree the Bulls handled that situation very poorly but that's not the discussion at hand here. we are talking about a player deciding when he should and shouldn't play because he's worried about life after basketball. if you don't see that as a problem, then I don't know what else to say

I think you and others that think this is some terrible travesty are unfairly looking at those quotes in a vaccuum and not looking at the bigger picture of his career and where the Bulls are right now.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 01:10 PM)
I think you and others that think this is some terrible travesty are unfairly looking at those quotes in a vaccuum and not looking at the bigger picture of his career and where the Bulls are right now.

if he meant something else, he sure didn't say it that way. he spelled it out quite clearly to me. you can give him benefit of the doubt if you want but based on his past history and the fact that he even started his statement by saying he knew the comments would upset fans (i.e. they were thought out, not just something said on a whim), I'm not giving him benefit of the doubt

I personally think what he said and what he meant are 2 different things. I am not going to play tonight because I might be sore in 20 years if I do, but I should be able to play tomorrow night with no 20 year reprecutions makes no sense.

The best shot he has of not "being sore" in meetings and graduations in the future is to not play at all.

He is just relaying what he has been told improperly, and not everyone wants to believe outside of basketball , there is a reason someone took an SAT for him.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 07:02 PM)

Okay, cool. Whenever this actually happens where Rose sits out a game 7 because he doesn't want to be sore later on, I will be the first to say congrats.

But that will never happen. Rose is not Andrew Bynum or Albert Belle and he never will be. There's a reason his teammates love him. It's not because he is a selfish person.

As was pointed out earlier, this is not football or even hockey where the wear and tear on your body makes it tough to move and in some cases live as you get older.

This is almost as dumb as the idiots saying 82 games is too many for a season.

Yes lets pay you $30M a year to sit out so you can and attend to your son's graduation and outrun everyone in attendance at the age of 40. To me he sounds like a moronic entitled idiot

Edited by Harry Chappas

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 07:28 PM)
I personally think what he said and what he meant are 2 different things. I am not going to play tonight because I might be sore in 20 years if I do, but I should be able to play tomorrow night with no 20 year reprecutions makes no sense.

The best shot he has of not "being sore" in meetings and graduations in the future is to not play at all.

He is just relaying what he has been told improperly, and not everyone wants to believe outside of basketball , there is a reason someone took an SAT for him.

The reality is, and it's 100% true, Rose is horribly inarticulate. He often says stuff that sounds ridiculous only to completely contradict it the next day. His behavior has always indicated that when he walks his statements back, those are what he really meant.

So getting self-righteous about how athletes are holding organizations hostage is absurd.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 01:31 PM)
Okay, cool. Whenever this actually happens where Rose sits out a game 7 because he doesn't want to be sore later on, I will be the first to say congrats.

But that will never happen. Rose is not Andrew Bynum or Albert Belle and he never will be. There's a reason his teammates love him. It's not because he is a selfish person.

Could the argument not be made that he did just this the last two seasons?

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 02:34 PM)
Could the argument not be made that he did just this the last two seasons?

Last year? No. That team was beaten up badly, they couldn't have beaten the Heat even if he came back for the playoffs. He could have made the difference in them getting to round 2, but nothing beyond that, and that's only because they were down to 1 point guard.

2013, maybe. They needed him then, that team had the starting lineup we all wanted to see together except for Rose, and he should have been ready to go much earlier in the season than last year so he should have had more time to get back into the game as well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 01:36 PM)
Last year? No. That team was beaten up badly, they couldn't have beaten the Heat even if he came back for the playoffs. He could have made the difference in them getting to round 2, but nothing beyond that, and that's only because they were down to 1 point guard.

2013, maybe. They needed him then, that team had the starting lineup we all wanted to see together except for Rose, and he should have been ready to go much earlier in the season than last year so he should have had more time to get back into the game as well.

the 2013 season is the one that really irks me. how soon some people forgive and forget. this is a recurring theme, this didn't just happen overnight. if he's not selfish, then he's scared. scared to get hurt again. scared he will hurt his next payday. all of the above, I don't know. I do know it doesn't look good from an outsider's perspective

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 01:33 PM)
As was pointed out earlier, this is not football or even hockey where the wear and tear on your body makes it tough to move and in some cases live as you get older.

This is almost as dumb as the idiots saying 82 games is too many for a season.

Yes lets pay you $30M a year to sit out so you can and attend to your son's graduation and outrun everyone in attendance at the age of 40. To me he sounds like a moronic entitled idiot

If this is your position, that's fine, but you have to be consistent. Concussions and what not really shouldn't be a concern in the NFL because f*** it they get paid. Tony Romo shouldn't have sat out a game for his back because f*** it they're paying him. Cutler should have gone back in the NFC title game because f*** it he gets paid, who cares what happens next.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 02:21 PM)
If this is your position, that's fine, but you have to be consistent. Concussions and what not really shouldn't be a concern in the NFL because f*** it they get paid. Tony Romo shouldn't have sat out a game for his back because f*** it they're paying him. Cutler should have gone back in the NFC title game because f*** it he gets paid, who cares what happens next.

not even comparable. those guys were hurt. when rose sat out at the end of 2013 and 2014 he was not hurt. he was medically cleared, which is exactly the opposite of hurt. 100%? probably not, but he was not hurt. people defend rose because they want to like him. he flashed greatness, MVP one season in fact, and he's a local kid. alot of reasons to like him early in his career. but the past years, not so much. I can't even imagine what people would say about cutler if he did something similar...Rose doesn't even realize that he already gets a ton of slack from Chicago media/fans compared to other pro athletes in this town. with time, that too will fade, especially with comments like this and lack of hardware to back it up

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 02:21 PM)

If Rose wants to be 110% healthy at the age of 50 he needs to retire now and sit home and rest up.

Where did I say that playing with those injuries was a problem? I was saying that those injuries are problems but the injuries Rose is talking about are not those.