2014-2015 NBA thread

QUOTE (Boogua @ Feb 6, 2015 -> 09:18 PM)
They're a very good regular season team. Great teamwork and lots of effort. I don't see them doing much in the playoffs though. I can't think of any teams making or winning the finals without a hall of famer on their roster. Maybe the mid 2000s Pistons, but I think a guy or two makes the hall off those teams

Just out of curiosity, who do you think is HOF worthy? The Wallaces? Chauncey Billups? I just don't see it...

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Feb 8, 2015 -> 03:15 AM)
Just out of curiosity, who do you think is HOF worthy? The Wallaces? Chauncey Billups? I just don't see it...

I think Ben definitely makes it. 4 DPOYs is a lot. I also think billups has a solid chance to make it. The nba hall of fame is the easiest to make.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Feb 8, 2015 -> 08:04 AM)
I think Ben definitely makes it. 4 DPOYs is a lot. I also think billups has a solid chance to make it. The nba hall of fame is the easiest to make.

Ben Wallace? A HOFer? If so, the pro basketball hall of fame has loose requirements.

Not sure we should use Bball HOF as a benchmark for anything. But what hurts most of those Pistons was lack of longevity dominating. But for 4-5 years Wallace was dominant, bill ups was dominant.

But can the Hawks do it? Who knows. They are clearly the best team in the east right now though, so prematurely discounting them just by guessing how they'll do in postseason sounds silly.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 8, 2015 -> 09:28 AM)
Reggie Miller made it. That's all you need to know.

There are a bunch of weak selections to the hall. Miller is weak on paper, but his career was far more memorable than people like Calvin Murphy, Mitch Richmond or Alonzo Mourning. Dennis Johnson looks pretty bad on paper, though he has a lot of defensive accolades. Rodman has already been mentioned.

Edit- On second thought, Rodman hasn't been mentioned. If he's in, Wallace definitely should be.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Feb 8, 2015 -> 12:38 PM)
There are a bunch of weak selections to the hall. Miller is weak on paper, but his career was far more memorable than people like Calvin Murphy, Mitch Richmond or Alonzo Mourning. Dennis Johnson looks pretty bad on paper, though he has a lot of defensive accolades. Rodman has already been mentioned.

Edit- On second thought, Rodman hasn't been mentioned. If he's in, Wallace definitely should be.

He had a few moments, granted huge moments, against the Knicks and a game-winner over MJ. He's severely overrated otherwise. I'd take prime Joe Johnson over Miller and Johnson sure as hell ain't no hall of famer.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 8, 2015 -> 12:40 PM)
I keep hearing people talk about Ginobili and Pau as hall of famers and that's just a joke to me. Paul Pierce isn't even a HoF to me but I know he's in.

Ginobili gets a lot of credit for his international play whenever he is brought up. It's kind of like the Arvydas Sabonis pick, only Manu has done a lot more in the NBA.

The other two are generally going to be in under any HOF's standards because they were key cogs on championship teams. You can add Chris Bosh to that too.

It really doesn't take that much to get into the basketball HOF. They LOVE inducting basically any remotely successful college basketball coach. The NBA should really start their own basketball HOF and tighten the standards a bit.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 8, 2015 -> 12:45 PM)
He had a few moments, granted huge moments, against the Knicks and a game-winner over MJ. He's severely overrated otherwise. I'd take prime Joe Johnson over Miller and Johnson sure as hell ain't no hall of famer.

Miller is a weird one. He didn't have the most diverse game, but he was an insanely good shooter and his Indiana teams did pretty well with him as their best player. He's kinda like Richard Hamilton on steroids. I've never been a fan, but given the standards they've set, he's in.

Unfortunately, it's kind of hard to separate individual players from team context with the NBA. Guys like Alex English, Bernard King and the previously mentioned Richmond put up good numbers on bad teams, so did they really matter? On paper, they were better than Miller, but Reggie's teams were more successful despite mediocre talent. Then you get guys like Johnson that don't have great numbers but were a key player on 3 championship teams. I would assume the argument is he'd have put up better numbers if he weren't playing with Bird, McHale and Parrish. We've seen how the team context can alter numbers recently with Love and Bosh. It gets even more annoying when you have to compare across eras. Dear lord Bob Cousy, why did you shoot so much! He was a no-doubter though.

It's an annoying argument once you get past the legends.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Feb 8, 2015 -> 12:50 PM)
The other two are generally going to be in under any HOF's standards because they were key cogs on championship teams. You can add Chris Bosh to that too.

Which just annoys me. Pau and Pierce have been very good/great players but neither of them have ever been a top 5 player in the league. To be in the HoF you should have to be one of the best players of your generation and neither of them are close imo.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 8, 2015 -> 01:02 PM)
Alonzo Mourning is in the HOF? Oh God. Shows how much I care about the pro basketball HOF.

To me, his peak was too short and he missed too many games to be in. However, he was a 21-10 guy with 3 blocks during his peak. He had the unfortunate timing to be in the same draft class as Shaq and also had to contend with Robinson, Hakeem and Ewing for most of his prime.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 8, 2015 -> 01:13 PM)
Which just annoys me. Pau and Pierce have been very good/great players but neither of them have ever been a top 5 player in the league. To be in the HoF you should have to be one of the best players of your generation and neither of them are close imo.

Top-5 isn't going to be the same every year though. Pierce isn't better than Duncan, Kobe, Lebron, Dirk or KG. He's going to compare pretty favorably to guys that were making All-NBA in the late 90's like Tim Hardaway, Rod Strickland, Stephon Marbury and Reggie Miller though. You need a historical perspective as well as a current one. He's got to be a top-20 wing player ever, which should merit an induction unless you have a really small HOF.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 8, 2015 -> 02:26 PM)
I can't ever remember watching SportsCenter and having them talk about someone being inducted into the NBA HOF.

There isn't an NBA HOF, which may be part of the issue. There's just a "Basketball Hall of Fame". They lump the NBA guys in with college coaches/players, foreigners, contributors to the game, female players and referees. Hell, there are 10 TEAMS in the basketball HOF. :huh:

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Feb 8, 2015 -> 01:42 PM)
Top-5 isn't going to be the same every year though. Pierce isn't better than Duncan, Kobe, Lebron, Dirk or KG. He's going to compare pretty favorably to guys that were making All-NBA in the late 90's like Tim Hardaway, Rod Strickland, Stephon Marbury and Reggie Miller though. You need a historical perspective as well as a current one. He's got to be a top-20 wing player ever, which should merit an induction unless you have a really small HOF.

I'd have to look more into it but he just doesn't seem like a HoF to me. But yes, my HoF would be real small compared to what we got now.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Feb 8, 2015 -> 03:55 PM)
So if Reggie Miller is in the HOF, the Hawks DO have a future HOFer, Kyle Korver anyone?

Commence crapping of pants fellow Bulls fans...

I hope you're kidding. Reggie averaged 18 a game for his career and cracked 20 six times. Korver's career high is 14.4 back when he was still a Sixer. Reggie as a higher career TS% too.

The Hawks' closest is probably Horford, which isn't terribly close unless he wins several rings.